Cycling

Any thoughts on the garmin forerunner 910?

I've been wanting to get a HRM/GPS for both running and cycling and from what I've read this seems to be the best. I'm conscious that I could just be wasting money and that a far cheaper tool could do just as good a job.

I run 4 times a week and cycle to and from work every day (18 miles each way). Tryin to monitor my progress to enter an element of competition/improvement into it.

Thanks for help in advance

Schwalbe Marathon Plus are *the* commuting tyres (almost impossible to puncture), but they're probably a bit out of your price range. Worth every penny, mind. They'll last for years.

did you put yours on yourself ? everyone i know with them reckons they're a bugger to put on so I got the shop to put them on when giving it a service.

Absolute pain in the arse to get on and off.  Thankfully I've only ever had to do it once (when doing a bike maintenance course) but that was more than enough.

is there a similar tyre for MTB's. had my third puncture last week and it's putting me off going out on it. rapid robs on at the minute while i've been getting used to it.

edit...aye there is, anyone got any experience of them...recommends ?

is there a similar tyre for MTB's. had my third puncture last week and it's putting me off going out on it. rapid robs on at the minute while i've been getting used to it.

Not specific to mountain bikes, but have you checked for any debris in the tyre?  I saw one a while ago which was the tiniest bit of metal in the tyre wall and every time a new tube was put in it punctured the tyre within a few miles.

Not specific to mountain bikes, but have you checked for any debris in the tyre?  I saw one a while ago which was the tiniest bit of metal in the tyre wall and every time a new tube was put in it punctured the tyre within a few miles.

so far it's been front tyre once and rear twice so it might not be that.

found these.....http://www.schwalbe.co.uk/mtb/marathon-plus-mtb/ but would like a review before splashing out.

Same as the road ones, basically. Heavy, stiff, not particularly comfortable or grippy, but they last forever and are bulletproof (if you keep them pumped up).

They are the cycling equivalent of tractor tyres.

Heading off to the Alps at the end of the month. Going to climb Alpe d'Huez amongst others. Done some training in the Lakes on some of the passes. Did Whinlatter pass and Newlands Hause yesterday and they were absolute killers and only a couple of miles long. Alpe d'Huez is like 8 miles or something :anguish: Fortunately the gradients are nothing alike and the Alps should be way more shallow.

Heading off to the Alps at the end of the month. Going to climb Alpe d'Huez amongst others. Done some training in the Lakes on some of the passes. Did Whinlatter pass and Newlands Hause yesterday and they were absolute killers and only a couple of miles long. Alpe d'Huez is like 8 miles or something :anguish: Fortunately the gradients are nothing alike and the Alps should be way more shallow.

Alp D'Huez isn't too bad, do you have a compact chainset? What other cols are you ascending?

Yeah, I'm running a compact. Most teeth I've got is 28, which is absolutely fine for someone like me (relatively fit, but not great) on ~10% gradient, but when it gets up to sort of 15-25% I really, really struggle with it.

Am I correct in thinking Alpe d'Huez doesn't really get above 10%?

Not really sure which other cols to do yet as we only booked up recently. Any recommendations? We're staying near Bourg-d'Oisans.

It can get steeper, particularly on the insides of the switchbacks, just take a nice wide line.

I usually stay further north in the Alps so not sure which other climbs are nice. If you have a car/van I would recommend driving up to Annecy doing a lap of the lake, then the Forclaz then hopping in the lake for a cool down. Would be a nice day out.

cheers, will see if we can get up there. Depends on how fed up everyone gets with driving, seeing as that's how we're getting down there initially.

Really eager to beat my next door neighbour's time up Alpe d'Huez. Absolutely have to beat her as I spent about twice as much on my bike as her and her time was at the end of doing La Marmotte, so it'd be really embarrassing if I go slower.

My trek fx 7.3 purchase from evans went tits up due to their utter incompetence so I am off to collect a boardman hybrid comp from Halfords this afternoon, Going to get dropped off and cyle back to consett from the team valley.

The bike is £100 more than i was initially spending but hey ho its only money.

Schwalbe Marathon Plus are *the* commuting tyres (almost impossible to puncture), but they're probably a bit out of your price range. Worth every penny, mind. They'll last for years.

did you put yours on yourself ? everyone i know with them reckons they're a bugger to put on so I got the shop to put them on when giving it a service.

Well, after all I said about them I decided on the spur of the moment to change them to some Continental 4 season 28s (the marathon plus are 35s).  I will no doubt put them back in the winter, but I need something lighter at the moment as I am crawling up hills at the moment.  Oddly enough they weren't that bad to get off!

Well, after all I said about them I decided on the spur of the moment to change them to some Continental 4 season 28s (the marathon plus are 35s).  I will no doubt put them back in the winter, but I need something lighter at the moment as I am crawling up hills at the moment.  Oddly enough they weren't that bad to get off!

i'm told they aren't too bad to get off but a swine to put on.

Just ridden home from work, 17.15 miles, 1196ft elevation gain, 1hr 16mins.

I left my car at work so lets see if i am so keen when i cycle back to work at 5am in the morning. Hopefully will get close to an hour as its mostly downhill on the way to work.

i'm told they aren't too bad to get off but a swine to put on.

Well not the best of starts for my new tyres - 6 miles in and I got a flat :)  It appears to be a pinch flat though, so it might be user error :)  Changed the tube and managed another 50 miles with no issues, so fingers crossed.

Last year I started riding a commuter bike the couple of miles to work after dodgy knees made going for a run too painful. Decided to start doing longer rides and have just invested in a 2013 Allez Sport on the cycle to work scheme.

Took it out for 15 miles y'day then a 30 miler in Northumberland today. So much more enjoyable than going for a run.

I could do with getting some basic bike mechanics knowledge though, I am shite at anything like that and don't want to be relying on the bike shop to fix minor problems.

Last year I started riding a commuter bike the couple of miles to work after dodgy knees made going for a run too painful. Decided to start doing longer rides and have just invested in a 2013 Allez Sport on the cycle to work scheme.

Took it out for 15 miles y'day then a 30 miler in Northumberland today. So much more enjoyable than going for a run.

I could do with getting some basic bike mechanics knowledge though, I am s**** at anything like that and don't want to be relying on the bike shop to fix minor problems.

Without wanting to sound like an advert....I did the Edinburgh cycles one earlier this year and it was spot on.  £50 and you basically service your bike and learn the things you need to do to fix most common problems - brakes, adjusting gears, changing a puncture, fixing a broken chain plus servicing the headset and wheels, changing a bottom bracket etc.  Don't have the confidence to do all the things - especially wheel service, but I have changed a bottom bracket and various other bits and bobs.  When you consider a service in most shops will cost £50 or so anyway, it's one of the most cost effective things I've done!

And yes, cycling is far more fun than running!  I was the same, with the dodgy knees so I started out with a mountain bike, moved to a cross (which I've still got) and now got a carbon road bike that I use for my longer rides.  Done a couple of sportives and this year, including 1 ride over 100 miles and I love it :)

Will look into the Edinburgh Cycles course, the shop is only 10 mins from my house so it's handy. And my lasses dad has been into cycling for years and he's mechanically minded so am hoping he'll show me some basics too.

Can see myself getting hooked on long distance rides, today was by far the furthest I've ever ridden and I really enjoyed it - even if the 15 miles back home was into a lively headwind.

Can see myself getting hooked on long distance rides, today was by far the furthest I've ever ridden and I really enjoyed it - even if the 15 miles back home was into a lively headwind.

You'll be amazed.  Was talking to my mate today about how when we first started off cycling we used to find the trip to Wylam really hard (about 25 mile round trip) and now we regularly do 70 miles plus.  Once I started discovering little roads and exploring and finding cafes in the middle of nowhere then I was hooked.  Ended up joining a club and out most weekends now.

Headwind was pretty bad today, ended up struggling along Stamfordham Rd.

Just ridden home from work, 17.15 miles, 1196ft elevation gain, 1hr 16mins.

I left my car at work so lets see if i am so keen when i cycle back to work at 5am in the morning. Hopefully will get close to an hour as its mostly downhill on the way to work.

Return journey this morning, left the house at 5am about 5 mins after jumping out of bed with no food. Managed to miss the gap in the bushes i need to nip through to get to work and ended up doing just under 18miles in 1hr 10 mins. I was a bit disappointedwith the time to be honest as theres a lot more downhill on the way too work than the way back and i had beenpleasantly suprised with my time the day before.

Bought my first road bike yesterday second hand. Its a Triban Sport 1. Was riding about today and noticed the chain rubbing on the front derailleur in low and high gears. Tried to tinker with it myself; BIG mistake cant even get the front derailleur to shift at all now what a bastard why do they have to be such a fuck on? I cant even sort it out by looking at the instructions, I think the cable is the issue. The local bike shop wants 12 quid to set my gears right. Is that reasonable?

• Rich changed the title to Cycling