Supermac

sempuki

Without watching, is that the one where he takes Hibbit's throw on the volley, looping it into the far corner? :razz:

Haven't seen it in years - can't see Alan Smith ever doing that. Thought the nostalgia might cheer up the board a bit but perhaps not!

Guest Phil K

Was a hell of a player but what a negative minded player slagging c*** he is now.

He's saying what most us feel man, what the hell is there to feel positive about these days ?

He's as frustrated as the rest of us, only he's got a microphone in front of him.

Tbh he cares deeply for the club as you can hear it in his voice ,he is a tit at times but arent we all when it comes to our feelings on the toon its just he gets heard by a few more people  bluelaugh.gif

He WAS a great CF - I knew that he would be a wow at NUFC the first time I saw him playing for Luton ; scored a great hat-trick against Sheff Weds.It was a fantastic coup by Joe Harvey(supported by Stan Seymour Snr`- he was the one who played for us in the club's great days) to beat other clubs, including Man U, to the punch.

Supermac was only 21 when he signed for us, and although we never won anything he was, at his best, even more electric than Shearer...he could do the 100 metres in just over 10 secs and some of his goals were absolutely amazing - the hat-trick against Liverpool on his home league debut was stunning, esp the second one hit from a tight angle into the Gallowgate goal with his left foot, leaving Clemence gasping...

My own favourite was, sadly, never televised - a goal created from our own box, ball passed between Alex Bruce and Irving Nattrass, over-lapping on the right who, hearing Macdonald's shout, put a crossfield pass just into the Leicester half - Macdonald hit it on the run with his famous left foot, and I've never seen a ball hit with such power over what must have been nearly 40 yards - it streaked into the top corner of the Leazes goal, Wallington(the Leicester keeper) still diving as it had hit the back of the net. The ground was stunned into silence for a second, then erupted ; I was carrying a cup of bovril a mate had brought me(it was almost half-time), and most of it went over the poor guy standing in front - he didn't care, said it didn't matter after a goal like that(ah, those were the days..!!!).

We went on to win 3-0 and that season reached the LC Final at Wembley - this match was in Aug 75..

Macdonald may get up people's nose sometimes, but he was one of the best CFs Ive seen in a B & W shirt ; the closest goal to this one for power of shot was probably Shearer's against Everton a few years ago, but Supermac would have left him dead for pure pace - Shearer was a better leader of the line, but not as exciting to watch, even though he was the best CF in Europe when we signed him.

Supermac had a very chequered personal life and terrible problems with his knees, but I'll always be glad I saw him at his best - what a player !!

A large than life character who got the crowd going, but 14 caps is a true reflection of his level. He was strong and fast but Shearer was in a different league.

As a pundit, I'd put him in the Ron Atkinson school - he manages to be both obvious and wrong at the same time.

Supermac is very opinionated, but it'd what he is paid to do. Have heard he's a nice fella away from the radio mic and tv. Wish I could have seen him in a black and white shirt, but alas (was born in 73) My old man still speaks very highly of him as a player and also about THAT goal v Leicester.

Supermac is very opinionated, but it'd what he is paid to do. Have heard he's a nice fella away from the radio mic and tv. Wish I could have seen him in a black and white shirt, but alas (was born in 73) My old man still speaks very highly of him as a player and also about THAT goal v Leicester.

i went to his first preseason friendly, in 71. I e-mailed the legends to ask him about it, and he replied from his own e-mail address, and had clearly took the time to read and give a full reply, I think he is a true Gent, and loves this club.

My uncle played (albeit briefly) for the first team in the 70's and obviously trained with supermac 4 days a week, said he was the quickest player he ever encountered, both in legs and intelligence

A large than life character who got the crowd going, but 14 caps is a true reflection of his level. He was strong and fast but Shearer was in a different league.

As a pundit, I'd put him in the Ron Atkinson school - he manages to be both obvious and wrong at the same time.

Totally disagree with yr comment about Shearer - as I said, Shearer was a better leader of the line, but Macdonald was a more exciting player to watch ; Shearer NEVER had Macdonald's out and out pace, even when at his best(which was arguably BEFORE he played for NUFC).

Your point about England caps is also not valid because Geoff Hurst, for example, won more than Greaves, but you won't find many fans thinking that Hurst was a better striker ; Hurst simply fitted into the team pattern that Ramsey wanted, and Macdonald was a better League player than an international - even so, his record of 5 goals in a game still stands, and even people like Rooney, Owen AND Shearer have failed to do this at international level - no matter HOW poor the opposition are(Andorra..!?).

Shearer was the best UK striker of his generation, but at a time when quality British forwards were at a premium - there was definitely more British talent when Macdonald was playing, but defences feared him just as much as modern defences feared Shearer.

Had Macdonald played for a better club when in his prime he would have been an even better player.

Guest KeithKettleborough

Supermac was the best I ever saw and scored the best goal I ever saw too, as described perfectly by Merlin. The fact that he never won that many caps was perhaps more to do with his personality, or perceived personality that the England managers of the time saw in him. Don't think he was a Ramsay sort of player nor a Revie one for example.

Although many will feel that some of the crowd scenes and noises that have occurred in recent years are amazing, eg Shearers "record" goal, it was nothing compared to the shouts of Supermac and the roar as he burst forward either with or chasing the ball. Think the best performance I saw was a cup replay against Coventry when he played them on his own. A young Welsh keeper had a blinder but he still scored and ran them ragged. My dad, a Jackie Milburn fanatic who said he was the best ever, uttered the phrase I alway remember at that game. " Milburn was a brilliant player but he couldn't play like that!" A little lad who had just heard his idol praised so highly, had a smile on his face for many days after.

Is good to think back I guess as thinking ahead doesn't bring much pleasure at the present time, so thanks for contributors who lift my footballing mood a little.

Totally disagree with yr comment about Shearer - as I said, Shearer was a better leader of the line, but Macdonald was a more exciting player to watch ; Shearer NEVER had Macdonald's out and out pace, even when at his best(which was arguably BEFORE he played for NUFC).

Your point about England caps is also not valid because Geoff Hurst, for example, won more than Greaves, but you won't find many fans thinking that Hurst was a better striker ; Hurst simply fitted into the team pattern that Ramsey wanted, and Macdonald was a better League player than an international - even so, his record of 5 goals in a game still stands, and even people like Rooney, Owen AND Shearer have failed to do this at international level - no matter HOW poor the opposition are(Andorra..!?).

Shearer was the best UK striker of his generation, but at a time when quality British forwards were at a premium - there was definitely more British talent when Macdonald was playing, but defences feared him just as much as modern defences feared Shearer.

Had Macdonald played for a better club when in his prime he would have been an even better player.

No question that MacDonald's pace and power made him a dangerous player, and he did produce some great moments, but he wasn't particularly skilful - unlike Shearer - and that limited his effectiveness at the very top level IMO. My main memories of him are in away games against decent sides, where he would really struggle to have any impact.

I think he was given his chance at international level, but didn't take it - five goals against Cyprus notwithstanding.

i've met him a couple of times and he's been really nice to talk to, i remember him telling a story that jackie milburn picked him up outside SJP when he first signed, and took him up to ashington and the pits to see where he came from and tell him how much nufc meant to the fans and how he could be a hero and how jackie believed in him.

just out of interest, i know supermac was left footed, but did he score many with his right, or was he a one footed (albeit extremely good with) davor suker type?

I always remember how arrogant he was and how he would tell everyone what he was going to do to the opposition in games.  Players don't really talk themselves up like that anymore.  I remember feeling very let down after all of his talk pre the '74 Final and his subsequent poor performance.