So, er, what happens if the club isn't sold?

Dave

Guest Phil K

But then, he's hardly demonstrated much acumen this far, has he?

Its staggering this bloke was thought a success in business.

He couldn't have handled this club worse.

Its as if he went out of his way to destroy the club and lose millions.

• 3 weeks later...

Three weeks on then and nothing has happened.

There surely has to be a cut-off point at which Ashley gives up on the sale and starts allowing the club to function 'normally' again; appointing a manager and letting him re-shape the squad. But when will that be?

There surely has to be a cut-off point at which Ashley gives up on the sale and starts allowing the club to function 'normally' again; appointing a manager and letting him re-shape the squad. But when will that be?

kick off minus one week

after the darlington game imo. he can keep the club on the market but other than that we have to start functioning as a football club again, appoint a manager and buy/sell players. if the prospective bidders dont like it, tough shit, they shouldve bought us earlier, we can't wait around in limbo forever. i imagine a functioning football club with a chance at promotion would look a better prospect than one raped to oblivion by a dickhead owner anyway.

October 17th. He'll say something about all eyes on January and promotion. "I'll leave it to Joe"

good post but why the fuck would they be sensible for once?

after the darlington game imo. he can keep the club on the market but other than that we have to start functioning as a football club again, appoint a manager and buy/sell players. if the prospective bidders dont like it, tough s***, they shouldve bought us earlier, we can't wait around in limbo forever. i imagine a functioning football club with a chance at promotion would look a better prospect than one raped to oblivion by a dickhead owner anyway.

I can't see Ashley or Llambias wanting back in, so we slowly die out, we could even end up in League One. Hughton/Kinnear takes the reigns, influential players leave, noone wants to come in, staff have no direction and nothing is ever properly organised, the club becomes even more of a shambles until we eventually close down completely or someone rescues us at the last moment.

It's extreme, but very possible  :undecided:

This is what I meant awhile ago when I said the worst may yet be to come.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

October 17th. He'll say something about all eyes on January and promotion. "I'll leave it to Joe"

Oh god, I hope he doesn't repeat his infamous 'what price a top 6 finish' gaff  :-X

If Ashley stays, at least we can get some consistency and stability, with the club being run responsibly on a sound financial footing, and have someone who cares about the club in charge.  :crazy2:

July 08 - There is absolutely no truth in the rumours of an outright sale.

Sept 08 - I am putting the club up for sale.... I am very conscious of the responsibility that I bear in owning Newcastle United. Tough decisions have to be made in business and I will not shy away from doing what I consider to be in the best interests of the club.....If I can't sell the club to someone who will give the fans what they want then I shall continue to ensure that Newcastle is run on a business and football model that is sustainable. I care too much about the club merely to abandon it. I have the interests of Newcastle United at heart.

Dec 08 - 2009 will be the year in which we drive the Club forward together... I gave you my word that as long as I remain owner, this Club would continue to be run responsibly at all levels. I hope you will accept that I have stood by that pledge.

Feb 09 - We’re not selling, we’re trying to stabilise our team and we’re back on track with our business plan. In five years’ time I would hope we would be challenging for everything. We’re not selling, there is no point selling it.

May 09 - Now I want to sell it as soon as I can . . . advisers will be appointed shortly.

July 09 - ? ? ? ?

He is staying IMO, this has all the trademarks of his previous deals which have hit the rocks. Trying to get as much as possible, brinkmanship tactics padded with plenty of tactical bullshit and red herrings leading to a breakdown in negotiations and back where we're started with a cockney barrow boy installed as interim manager.

Bob's your uncle and jellied eels all round.

He is staying IMO, this has all the trademarks of his previous deals which have hit the rocks. Trying to get as much as possible, brinkmanship tactics padded with plenty of tactical bullshit and red herrings leading to a breakdown in negotiations and back where we're started with a cockney barrow boy installed as interim manager.

I'm afraid this is now feeling like the most likely outcome.

What a circus, we have been the laughing stock of the football world a few times over the years but this is situation is a real cracker - how did we manage to get bought by a football bufoon who makes Shepherd look shrewd?

If Ashley stays, at least we can get some consistency and stability, with the club being run responsibly on a sound financial footing, and have someone who cares about the club in charge.  :crazy2:

Sept 08 - I am putting the club up for sale.... I am very conscious of the responsibility that I bear in owning Newcastle United. Tough decisions have to be made in business and I will not shy away from doing what I consider to be in the best interests of the club.....If I can't sell the club to someone who will give the fans what they want then I shall continue to ensure that Newcastle is run on a business and football model that is sustainable. I care too much about the club merely to abandon it. I have the interests of Newcastle United at heart.

Dec 08 - 2009 will be the year in which we drive the Club forward together... I gave you my word that as long as I remain owner, this Club would continue to be run responsibly at all levels. I hope you will accept that I have stood by that pledge.

Feb 09 - We’re not selling, we’re trying to stabilise our team and we’re back on track with our business plan. In five years’ time I would hope we would be challenging for everything. We’re not selling, there is no point selling it.

May 09 - Now I want to sell it as soon as I can . . . advisers will be appointed shortly.

July 09 - ? ? ? ?

Personally I think he was trying to sell after those first few months when the full scope of the debt was realised,

Yup.

Feb 09 - Were not selling, were trying to stabilise our team and were back on track with our business plan. In five years time I would hope we would be challenging for everything. Were not selling, there is no point selling it.

July 09 - ? ? ? ?

Personally I think he was trying to sell after those first few months when the full scope of the debt was realised,

Why ask for such a high price in Jan then?

Feb 09 - Were not selling, were trying to stabilise our team and were back on track with our business plan. In five years time I would hope we would be challenging for everything. Were not selling, there is no point selling it.

July 09 - ? ? ? ?

Simply cause he is clearly a chancer.

Everything is just speculation though, we don't know how much he would have taken and there's no real evidence of any offers being made for the club at any time. I think the most there's ever been was City's owner saying they were interested in the PL and looked at us, Liverpool & Arsenal as well as City. The story that Ashley turned down an offer for £Xm from him was just made up from that.

Everything is just speculation though, we don't know how much he would have taken and there's no real evidence of any offers being made for the club at any time. I think the most there's ever been was City's owner saying they were interested in the PL and looked at us, Liverpool & Arsenal as well as City. The story that Ashley turned down an offer for £Xm from him was just made up from that.

True, it is all speculation and he clearly doesn't know what he's doing. I just think he could have made a fair old whack of profit on the club at any point when we were in the PL, which doesn't seem to tie up with it being 'for sale' for ages. Basically I don't have a clue what's going through, and indeed has been through, his mind.

There is a quote somewhere where they said they offered 200m, but Ashley was asking 400m. I'll try and find it.

There is a quote somewhere where they said they offered 200m, but Ashley was asking 400m. I'll try and find it.

I stand corrected if you can find it, I don't remember any actual quotes but I think I was on holiday at the time so may have missed it (if it's a quote by Ashley or Mort though don't bother).

I am pretty sure that Anil Ambani's representatives flew in for talks to buy the club last year but pulled the plug after claiming their time had been wasted or words to that effect. It's a pretty consistent theme to be fair.