Shearer vs. Cash

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Money with a shite manager is pointless, as proven during the Souness era, so for me it has to be Shearer. Moyes is a great example of what can be acheived with a good, sensible system.

If we couldn't be set apart from the crowd when it comes to Championship spending, I'd be seriously worried about the financial clout of the new owner(s)!

Money with a shite manager is pointless, as proven during the Souness era, so for me it has to be Shearer. Moyes is a great example of what can be acheived with a good, sensible system.

The quality of the other manager isn't specified, just the fact it isn't Shearer. Think of it as a roll of the dice by the new owners - could be better, could be worse.

Shearer and decent money. A few additions to the current squad plus a good manager and we'll be flying up the league!

The money factor on really kicks in when/if we re-enter the Premiership....

Stupidly rich owner obviously, Shearer could easily turn out to be Greame Souness mk2

:lol: He could easily turn out to be Sir Bobby Robson mk2. We've got fuck all to base it on.

Personally, i'd rather not be shitting cash - cos it's pretty much everything i go against when it comes to modern day football. I'd like to have enough money to survive and get there through skill, quality and graft - a nice balance, like the Bobby era. I know it's thoroughly idealistic, but i just hate how you have to be mega-rich nowadays to achieve any form of success.

I'd quite happily take a moderately wealthy owner, with Shearer as boss - if those are the options. But the reasoning for that leans towards the first half of the deal, rather than the second half. I don't want to see us turn into an utterly deplorable parasite like Chelsea or City. Not too fussed on Shearer... love him to pieces obviously but if we can appoint someone who's proven to be a good manager ahead of him, i won't cry into my pillow.

Souness wasn't actually that bad. :undecided:

Yes, he was.

The only reason we weren't relegated was because he started with a pretty good team built by SBR.

And that he didn't lose in his first 10 games if I remember rightly. Winning most of them.

Stupidly rich owner obviously, Shearer could easily turn out to be Greame Souness mk2

:lol: He could easily turn out to be Sir Bobby Robson mk2. We've got f*** all to base it on.

Personally, i'd rather not be shitting cash - cos it's pretty much everything i go against when it comes to modern day football. I'd like to have enough money to survive and get there through skill, quality and graft - a nice balance, like the Bobby era. I know it's thoroughly idealistic, but i just hate how you have to be mega-rich nowadays to achieve any form of success.

I'd quite happily take a moderately wealthy owner, with Shearer as boss - if those are the options. But the reasoning for that leans towards the first half of the deal, rather than the second half. I don't want to see us turn into an utterly deplorable parasite like Chelsea or City. Not too fussed on Shearer... love him to pieces obviously but if we can appoint someone who's proven to be a good manager ahead of him, i won't cry into my pillow.

which is why chosing him over an awful lot of money is madness, surely you knew what I meant

:lol: He could easily turn out to be Sir Bobby Robson mk2. We've got f*** all to base it on.

which is why chosing him over an awful lot of money is madness, surely you knew what I meant

Aye, well i do now. :aww:  I'd rather put my faith in Shearer, with a so-so-rich owner - than succumb to the apparant necessity to be uber-wealthy in today's English game.

Like i said in my post... the first part of the deal is what's imporant to me. Either be mega-rich scum like Chelsea or City, or try and battle it out through skill and graft (in all footballing departments), like we did under Bobby. In our current situation, the choice of manager isn't as relevant as those issues, for me. There's absolutely no way we require a mega-rich owner to get out of this division.

I don't think there is any pride to be had in 'doing it the hard way' in modern football, especially as i'm not entirely convinced you can do it the hard way now. Maybe half a decade ago when it was still possible to make a dent on the league without huge funding it was but now it seems suicidal to shun the idea of a rich owner. Nowadays teams are capable of being rich and not instantly being the spawn of the devil - take Villa for example.

I'm not excusing it as I think it's an awful way for football to be ran but for success it's the only way. I ideally want to see Newcastle win something as soon as possible and if stupid amounts of cash are needed to do that then so be it. It certainly wouldn't take the shine of success.

The Robson era was nice, but you've got to remember we were one of the better funded sides in the league at a time when the top three or four was breakable and prices weren't as high.

I don't think there is any pride to be had in 'doing it the hard way' in modern football. Maybe half a decade ago when it was still possible to make a dent on the league without huge funding it was but now it seems suicidal to shun the idea of a rich owner. Nowadays teams are capable of being rich and not instantly being the spawn of the devil - take Villa for example.

I'm not excusing it as I think it's an awful way for football to be ran but for success it's the only way. I ideally want to see Newcastle win something as soon as possible and if stupid amounts of cash are needed to do that then so be it. It certainly wouldn't take the shine of success.

I'd certainly be happy with the way Villa have done things. Yes, they've still spent decent money but it's seemed much more respectable IMO - buying a number of young and/or English players for example.

Guest Heneage

I'm sorry but I couldn't disagree more with you Dave. It would be lovely to buy a bunch of young lads and nurture them ala Aston Villa, but watching City makes me envious, someone broke down their spending, and the owners wealth is like 50 billion or something. They converted that to if it was an average 30,000 a year wage, and the likes of Barry cost 65p or something daft.

I want money and the best players now.

Fair enough. I think what City are doing (well, trying to do seeing as none of the best players are taking them seriously) is pathetic and disgusting.

Where's the soul? Absolutely typical of today's 'I want it now, but without putting any time or effort in whatsoever' society tbh.

I'm sorry but I couldn't disagree more with you Dave. It would be lovely to buy a bunch of young lads and nurture them ala Aston Villa, but watching City makes me envious, someone broke down their spending, and the owners wealth is like 50 billion or something. They converted that to if it was an average 30,000 a year wage, and the likes of Barry cost 65p or something daft.

I want money and the best players now.

Nah. Sorry but the thought of Newcastle carrying on like City disgusts me.