John Hartson diagnosed with brain cancer

Dinho lad

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/13072009/58/premier-league-hartson-brain-cancer.html

Former Arsenal, West Ham and Celtic star John Hartson has been diagnosed with brain cancer.

The ex-Wales striker went to hospital on Friday after suffering from splitting headaches, and tests revealed testicular cancer that had spread to the brain.

The 34-year-old will begin chemotherapy on Monday.

Hartson's former club Celtic offered their support to the man who represented the club 146 times between 2001 and 2006.

"John Hartson is a man whom Celtic Football Club has immense respect and affection for," the club said in a statement.

"He has served the club, and the game of football in general, with distinction over many years.

"Clearly, everyone at the club fully supports John and his family at this extremely difficult time. It is very difficult for us to understand what John is going through at the moment but we will offer any support we can to a great Celtic player. The thoughts and prayers of the entire Celtic family are with John at this time."

A friend of Hartson's explained to The Sun how the cancer had been discovered.

"John had complained of really bad headaches recently," he said.

"It reached the stage where he felt something was seriously wrong.

"It's devastating news for John and his family. His father is at his bedside and worried sick. But the doctors are upbeat about his prospects and chemotherapy will begin right away. John is a big, strong man.

"Throughout his career he was a battler - he'll fight this with everything he's got."

Hartson was the most expensive teenager in British history when he joined Arsenal from Luton for £2.5 million in 1995.

His most successful spell at club level came with Celtic, whom he joined for £6m in 2001. He scored 88 SPL goals in five seasons and won the 2005 Player of the Year award.

He scored 14 goals in 51 appearances for his country.

Guest Stephen927

Seen this on SSN when I getting my breakfast. Hope all goes well in his recovery, my thoughts are with him and his family.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

It is simply beyond me how testicular cancer can spread to the brain   :kinnear:

Same as any cancer, if it gets into the Bone Marrow or Lymph Nodes its going to spread.

Guest Stephen927

It is simply beyond me how testicular cancer can spread to the brain   :kinnear:

Men think with their balls.

In before alreetlike, catmag or Blefuscu. Result.

Guest Stephen927

testicular cancer should never have been given the chance to spread to his brain, surely?

Might not have noticed a lump. I remember Horsfield had testicular cancer not long ago, and the doctors said he was lucky to find it as the lump was small.

Get well soon John .  :thup:

Horrible place to have cancer too , very tricky surgery , oh so i have been told. You have to be kept awake during it .

wow! ???

There's no sensory receptors in the brain so he won't be able to feel anything. It's why a lot of neurosurgery is done with the patient awake.

Hope he recovers well.

Get well soon John .  :thup:

Horrible place to have cancer too , very tricky surgery , oh so i have been told. You have to be kept awake during it .

wow! ???

There's no sensory receptors in the brain so he won't be able to feel anything. It's why a lot of neurosurgery is done with the patient awake.

Hope he recovers well.

Plus, the surgeon needs to make sure that whatever they're poking at isn't going to cause the patient other problems, like the ability to talk, remember their own name, etc.

The surgeon will go through a load of patient feedback on what they're experiencing before they go ahead and start cutting parts of the brain away.

Guest toonlass

I really feel for John and his family. Despite me hating the bloke when he was at Celtic, I know what he and his family must be going through. He will have a fight on his hands but if anyone can do it, Big John Hartson can. Best wishes

Awful news. Usually by the time a cancer has metastasised to the brain the prognosis is pretty poor. Hopefully chemo will be able to at least control it now that he's been diagnosed. Horrible to think he's the same age as me :(

Guest Alan Shearer 9

At least he'll have the money to get the best treatment available asap, silver lining and everything.