Good things about football

Keefaz

Anyone care to name a few good things about the sport? Because at the minute I'm sure there are a few of us who are struggling to work out why we bother with it. Give me a few reasons to be cheerful about what is still, somehow, a great game.

The anticipation on Saturday mornings at 10am. It wained a bit for me at several points last season, but i don't think that feeling will ever properly go away, regardless of how far the game falls.

That Cantona chip against Sunderland, Tino's goals against Barca, Poborski lob, Thierry Henry at his peak, Alan Shearer, Phillipe Albert against Man Utd, those moments of inspiration that take the breath away - rare but that's why I watch football.

Guest firetotheworks

The only joy I got out of football last season was watching Barca tbh. But fuckin hell, what a team.

Nile Ranger.

I know the gag wore thin yonks ago but watching a young player with a cult following based purely on his ridiculous Myspace page actually starting to break into the senior team remains heartening for me.

Going to watch your local non league team. For a tenner you get a ticket, a pie and a hot drink, packet of sweets and still have change to get the bus home. You witness an honest game of football in muddy, windy, wet and freezing cold conditions, go home and have a lovely hot bath and feel like a proper bloke.

Going to watch your local non league team. For a tenner you get a ticket, a pie and a hot drink, packet of sweets and still have change to get the bus home. You witness an honest game of football in muddy, windy, wet and freezing cold conditions, go home and have a lovely hot bath and feel like a proper bloke.

:thup:

Aye, do love that, cup of tea in a polystyrene cup! Everywhere I've lived I've checked out the local team, Maidenhead Utd were class (also called The Magpies).

Guest firetotheworks

Signings nobody knew about beforehand.

Even if they turn out to be s***, that initial feeling of excitement is nice.

Aye, knowing nothing about Jonas and then watching the match against Man United reminded me of when I first saw Ginola properly against Sheff Wed. It was the same feeling at that point.

I'm supporting NOFC now.

:thup:

Aye, do love that, cup of tea in a polystyrene cup! Everywhere I've lived I've checked out the local team, Maidenhead Utd were class (also called The Magpies).

Standing amongst shrill-voiced kiddies, wizened old blokes making notes in little pads and the stalwarts of the sport, with disgruntled wives in tow. No matter how disillusioned you can get with the game, go and watch a local/non league game and you will still enjoy it, and your pockets will be heavier for it too.

My uncle actually got so sick of Newcastle he bought a Whitley Bay season ticket for about £85 and got into all their games bar the final three cup games in the run for that price. Even adding on all the teas, pies, raffle tickets, programmes (only £1!) and a pint or two in The Seahorse after the game or whatever, it's probably under half of what you'd pay to watch Newcastle for a season without any food, programmes, drinks etc.

He says this season he's going to pick and choose weekly which matches he goes to, which seems to me like he's fallen back in love with the sport. Obviously he still followed Newcastle last season, but it was limited to Match of the Day, watching the live games on TV or listening on the radio and going to the two home cup matches on a mates spare ticket.