Deluded Mackem thinks the SOL should and will be chosen over SJP for the WC 2018

Stifler

Not only that but turns it into a NUFC vs SAFC debate which it is not, on a Newcastle&Gateshead developement forum.

I don't usually humour such risible bait but on this case I have to make an exception. Not to make this a club vs club issue, but I had hoped that the reality of playing at Scunthorpe might have punctured the arrogance of the NUFC contingent.

To claim that the NewcastleGateshead (try finding that place on a map) bid is better "in every aspect" is contemptuous. On the most important aspect of any bid - the ground itself - there is no comparison. Yes, two sides of SJP are world-class, and happily so. Sadly though, the other two are far from it, and it's understandable when their age is considered. SoL on the other hand is world-class on all four sides, and is generally recognised - ahead of SJP - as one of the best stadia in the United Kingdom. The ridiculous lop-sided nature of SJP, while an impressive sight on the skyline, does no favours to the atmosphere within the ground, and thus the volubility of passion amongst the fans (which I don't doubt matches any club in the country) is diluted to a quite significant degree. With NUFC in their current predicament, there are no signs of these flaws being mended any time soon. Last year, many on Tyneside probably couldn't see "for the life of them" why large-scale stadium concerts would be hosted at Sunderland rather than at Newcastle. One year on and Take That have opened their tour at the SoL and Oasis played a leg of their tour a few days later.

A very close second in importance, both now and at the time of the games, is the administration, organisation, stability and commitment of the management of the hosting club and hosting stadium. I hardly think I need elaborate very much upon this point; a straw poll of Sunderland and Newcastle fans/residents and their esteem for their prospective chairmen would tell you all you need to know. (The prospect of a Mike Ashley Children's Centre or Derek Llambias Paediatric Wing at the RVI is beyond hilarious.) The nuts and bolts of organisation and management (and economics) go a long way towards explaining why the stadium concerts were staged on Wearside and not Tyneside. They will also go towards explaining why, if the FA decide upon only one host city in this region, Sunderland will be chosen ahead of Newcastle.

As for the issue of hotel beds and cultural attractions; to eyes in London and eyes abroad, Sunderland is regarded as a major feature of the larger South East Northumberland/North East Durham urban area, and as such the distance of the Hilton (Gateshead, Co Durham), Sage (Gateshead, Co Durham), Baltic (Gateshead, Co Durham), Angel (Gateshead, Co Durham), Millennium Bridge (Gateshead, Co Durham) and other attractions north of the river, albeit closer to SJP, are still regarded as very close to the SoL by historical standards and comparisons to other countries and cities that have hosted games. It goes without saying, of course, that such issues weren't an insurmountable problem in 1966 when Roker (not Middlesbrough's Ayresome, as Lebowski erroneously states) Park hosted the World Cup matches in the region.

Like Chris, I regard it as desirable and important that both cities host World Cup games. It would be a major boost to the prestige and recognition of the region, and a fitting testament to the history of this area as a hotbed of football and a hotbed of sport. Unlike Chris, I don't see "NewcastleGateshead" as the superior bid, far from it in fact, and if it does have to come down to a decision for one successful North East host, then I'd bet all the money in my pockets against all the money in your pockets that it will be SAFC who win the day.

ask him/her to ask anyone from anywhere else in the country ?

only people from sunderland or with a vested interest in sunderland would back sunderland over newcastle for most things really.

:lol: Who does he think he is kidding. Can you imagine a team having Sunderland as their base "orite lads this is Sunderland Town Centre!"  Can picture their faces  :dowie:

Hilton (Gateshead, Co Durham), Sage (Gateshead, Co Durham), Baltic (Gateshead, Co Durham), Millennium Bridge (Gateshead, Co Durham)

All a mere 10 minute walk from SJP. via a huge array of bars, restaurants and cafe's.

Hilton (Gateshead, Co Durham), Sage (Gateshead, Co Durham), Baltic (Gateshead, Co Durham), Millennium Bridge (Gateshead, Co Durham)

All a mere 10 minute walk from SJP. via a huge array of bars, restaurants and cafe's.

Is it just me or is Gateshead actually in Tyneside?

Is it just me or is Gateshead actually in Tyneside?

Yes it is.

Not only that but turns it into a NUFC vs SAFC debate which it is not, on a Newcastle&Gateshead developement forum.

Sunderland is regarded as a major feature of the larger South East Northumberland/North East Durham urban area, and as such the distance of the Hilton (Gateshead, Co Durham), Sage (Gateshead, Co Durham), Baltic (Gateshead, Co Durham), Angel (Gateshead, Co Durham), Millennium Bridge (Gateshead, Co Durham) and other attractions north of the river, albeit closer to SJP, are still regarded as very close to the SoL by historical standards and comparisons to other countries and cities that have hosted games.

That right there, is about as funny as it can get. The man is a fruit loop.

With another season with Ashley in charge...there might not be a Newcastle United,with a ground worth enough of staging WC games in 2018.

St James's Park is owned by Newcastle council, and the bids are not from the football clubs, but from the cities, so Newcastle's position does not count, only that of the ground and city facilities.

With another season with Ashley in charge...there might not be a Newcastle United,with a ground worth enough of staging WC games in 2018.

St James's Park is owned by Newcastle council, and the bids are not from the football clubs, but from the cities, so Newcastle's position does not count, only that of the ground and city facilities.

Will Newcastle Council maintain it if there is no team playing League football on it?

I thought the ground was owned by the football club (well Ashley really)

Will Newcastle Council maintain it if there is no team playing League football on it?

I can't see why not, infact their is no reason why a city or town cannot build a stadium for the games with having no permanent tennant, providing like I said the facilities where up to the standards that is required.

No, he paid for some sort of lease, meaning that the freehold is held by Newcastle city council, and that if NUFC where to ever not exist (god forbid) or move away etc, then the lease would be terminated and Newcastle city council would be left with a stadium.

No, he paid for some sort of lease, meaning that the freehold is held by Newcastle city council, and that if NUFC where to ever not exist (god forbid) or move away etc, then the lease would be terminated and Newcastle city council would be left with a stadium.

But in that situation,and I'm playing Devil's Advocate here,surely the S.O.S would be considered more suitable.Would the council pay to maintain a ground,to keep it in tiptop condition,so it would pass stringent safety checks?

Was steve cram celebrity fan on look north, about this ? Everything is in place in newcastle, hotels, restaurants bars, fans dont even have to get a bus to the ground, just walk. Plus the fact that fans could fly in and 30 mins later be at sjp, not forgetting the train service to sunderland is well, shit.

But in that situation,and I'm playing Devil's Advocate here,surely the S.O.S would be considered more suitable.Would the council pay to maintain a ground,to keep it in tiptop condition,so it would pass stringent safety checks?

whoah up there billy, even if the worst does happen and we go to administration then there will be plenty chomping to take us over as the debt will be shrank (as in "you can have 10p in the pound or get sod all you scoundrel)...there will still be football played at SJP.

hope thats calmed your fevered brow.

Was steve cram celebrity fan on look north, about this ? Everything is in place in newcastle, hotels, restaurants bars, fans dont even have to get a bus to the ground, just walk. Plus the fact that fans could fly in and 30 mins later be at sjp, not forgetting the train service to sunderland is well, s***.

even their advert is newcastle and northumberland.

whoah up there billy, even if the worst does happen and we go to administration then there will be plenty chomping to take us over as the debt will be shrank (as in "you can have 10p in the pound or get sod all you scoundrel)...there will still be football played at SJP.

hope thats calmed your fevered brow.

Im looking at it from a playing perspective too...admin. means deductions pointwise,which could transpire into relegation...and which way would we go from there?If we kept sliding,which isn't beyond the realms of possibility,would Newcastle United or the Council pay to maintain a ground for World Cup hosting purposes.Im only really playing "consequences",I don't believe for a minute,we'll go down this roads,but with Ashley in ownership,and no light at the end of the tunnel regarding his departure,who knows?

Guest itsTosh
. It goes without saying, of course, that such issues weren't an insurmountable problem in 1966 when Roker (not Middlesbrough's Ayresome, as Lebowski erroneously states) Park hosted the World Cup matches in the region.

He doesn't know what he's talking about. Roker and Ayresome shared the group matches in 1966; famously North Korea beat Italy at Ayresome.

Unless Ashley knocked it down or turned it into a Sports Direct warehouse?

Guest Heneage

One Mackem told me Newcastle Gateshead was "Copying" Sunderland. And that we were clinging onto Gateshead.