Deluded Mackem thinks the SOL should and will be chosen over SJP for the WC 2018

Stifler

With another season with Ashley in charge...there might not be a Newcastle United,with a ground worth enough of staging WC games in 2018.

You took the words out of my mouth...

even if sunderland were to get it over us, i'd guess that the vast majority of fans visiting would enter the region via our airport or train station, sleep in our hotels, frequent our pubs and restaurants, shop in our city etc. matches at the sos would be accessed on the metro and as soon as the game finished fans would hot foot it back to newcastle. i personally hope both cities get picked to host games, as it would mean more people using newcastle as their tournament 'base'.

sounds like he is saying Sunderland is close Enough to Tyneside to considered 'almost as good as'.

the winners could have a 'closed' top', Armoured Parade throught he streets of Pennywell.

we lost out in 1966 and the games were played at Joker Park and Tiresome Stadium remember

Never underestimate our ability to shoot ourselves in the foot on big occasions..........

A list of County Durham postcodes

DH1

DH2

DH3

DH4

DH6

DH7

DH8

DH9

DL11

DL12

DL13

DL14

DL15

DL16

DL17

DL2

DL4

DL5

NE16

NE17

SR7

SR8

TS21

TS27

TS28

TS29

Baltic                  -  NE8

Millenium Bridge  -  NE8

Hilton hotel          -  NE8

Angel                  -  NE9

Sage                  -  NE8

I think this lad should have a look at a map before redesigning the city limits.

Where do you start with the number of facts he got wrong in that article, without needing to get involved in the endless, but perfectly valid, airport, hotel, railway, shopping, cultural, entertainment.... debate. What a tool.

"Sadly though, the other two are far from it, and it's understandable when their age is considered" - That'll be the 14 year old Gallowgate then?

"Best stadia in the United Kingdom" - From some boz eyed journo who only ever see the gold taps in the main stand.

"in 1966 when Roker (not Middlesbrough's Ayresome)... Park hosted the World Cup - Excluding England's matches in '66 arguably the most famous game was at Ayresome when Pak Doo-ik took the Italians apart playing for Korea.

"Gateshead, Co Durham" - Possibly if Ryanair was using it to pretend s*nd*el*nd had an airport.

and my personal favourite....

"to eyes in London and eyes abroad, Sunderland is regarded ...." - I think he misspelt retarded

The idea that SOL is in any way superior to SJP is laughable, got to say. Don't usually get involved with any anti-Sunderland slagging for the sake of it, but we've got what's widely recognised as one of the best stadia in the country... the location in the city is unmatched (certainly outside London), the capacity is right, everything is just better.

Not only that but turns it into a NUFC vs SAFC debate which it is not, on a Newcastle&Gateshead developement forum.

I don't usually humour such risible bait but on this case I have to make an exception. Not to make this a club vs club issue, but I had hoped that the reality of playing at Scunthorpe might have punctured the arrogance of the NUFC contingent.

To claim that the NewcastleGateshead (try finding that place on a map) bid is better "in every aspect" is contemptuous. On the most important aspect of any bid - the ground itself - there is no comparison. Yes, two sides of SJP are world-class, and happily so. Sadly though, the other two are far from it, and it's understandable when their age is considered. SoL on the other hand is world-class on all four sides, and is generally recognised - ahead of SJP - as one of the best stadia in the United Kingdom. The ridiculous lop-sided nature of SJP, while an impressive sight on the skyline, does no favours to the atmosphere within the ground, and thus the volubility of passion amongst the fans (which I don't doubt matches any club in the country) is diluted to a quite significant degree. With NUFC in their current predicament, there are no signs of these flaws being mended any time soon. Last year, many on Tyneside probably couldn't see "for the life of them" why large-scale stadium concerts would be hosted at Sunderland rather than at Newcastle. One year on and Take That have opened their tour at the SoL and Oasis played a leg of their tour a few days later.

A very close second in importance, both now and at the time of the games, is the administration, organisation, stability and commitment of the management of the hosting club and hosting stadium. I hardly think I need elaborate very much upon this point; a straw poll of Sunderland and Newcastle fans/residents and their esteem for their prospective chairmen would tell you all you need to know. (The prospect of a Mike Ashley Children's Centre or Derek Llambias Paediatric Wing at the RVI is beyond hilarious.) The nuts and bolts of organisation and management (and economics) go a long way towards explaining why the stadium concerts were staged on Wearside and not Tyneside. They will also go towards explaining why, if the FA decide upon only one host city in this region, Sunderland will be chosen ahead of Newcastle.

As for the issue of hotel beds and cultural attractions; to eyes in London and eyes abroad, Sunderland is regarded as a major feature of the larger South East Northumberland/North East Durham urban area, and as such the distance of the Hilton (Gateshead, Co Durham), Sage (Gateshead, Co Durham), Baltic (Gateshead, Co Durham), Angel (Gateshead, Co Durham), Millennium Bridge (Gateshead, Co Durham) and other attractions north of the river, albeit closer to SJP, are still regarded as very close to the SoL by historical standards and comparisons to other countries and cities that have hosted games. It goes without saying, of course, that such issues weren't an insurmountable problem in 1966 when Roker (not Middlesbrough's Ayresome, as Lebowski erroneously states) Park hosted the World Cup matches in the region.

Like Chris, I regard it as desirable and important that both cities host World Cup games. It would be a major boost to the prestige and recognition of the region, and a fitting testament to the history of this area as a hotbed of football and a hotbed of sport. Unlike Chris, I don't see "NewcastleGateshead" as the superior bid, far from it in fact, and if it does have to come down to a decision for one successful North East host, then I'd bet all the money in my pockets against all the money in your pockets that it will be SAFC who win the day.

:spit:

Guest toonlass

Not only that but turns it into a NUFC vs SAFC debate which it is not, on a Newcastle&Gateshead developement forum.

Sunderland is regarded as a major feature of the larger South East Northumberland/North East Durham urban area, and as such the distance of the Hilton (Gateshead, Co Durham), Sage (Gateshead, Co Durham), Baltic (Gateshead, Co Durham), Angel (Gateshead, Co Durham), Millennium Bridge (Gateshead, Co Durham) and other attractions north of the river, albeit closer to SJP, are still regarded as very close to the SoL by historical standards and comparisons to other countries and cities that have hosted games.

That right there, is about as funny as it can get. The man is a fruit loop.

What the hell is he on about? "Sunderland is regarded as a major feature of the larger South East Northumberland/North East Durham area". I live in south east Northumberland, Sunderland doesn't feature here much, apart from the one, count it, one tatty, yellow coach that picks up a load of mackems for their home games, which always gets laughed at by the Newcastle fans as it goes around Ashington, Stakeford, Guidepost, Bedlington and Blyth and the solitary red and white shirted idiots endure dogs abuse at the bus stops before bording said junk mobile. Compare that to a Newcastle home game, the buses are packed both before and after the games. The Haymarket bus station which serves south east Northumberland is mayhem after the games. And so apart from the occassional red and white shirted loony that you see and laugh at in South East Northumberland (and I can honestly say you see more Chelsea, Manure, Liverpool, Real Madrid and Blyth Spartans shirted younsters in Blyth than Mackems) I cannot see any truth in the statement that Sunderland is important to south east Northumberland.

Can't remember the name of it but that comedy youtube clip someone once posted on here with the Southern guy pretending to do a football hooligans show had it right: - "Sunderland famous for Newcastle".

that would be danny dyer  :thup:

I don't usually humour such risible bait but on this case I have to make an exception. Not to make this a club vs club issue, but I had hoped that the reality of playing at Scunthorpe might have punctured the arrogance of the NUFC contingent.

To claim that the NewcastleGateshead (try finding that place on a map) bid is better "in every aspect" is contemptuous. On the most important aspect of any bid - the ground itself - there is no comparison. Yes, two sides of SJP are world-class, and happily so. Sadly though, the other two are far from it, and it's understandable when their age is considered. SoL on the other hand is world-class on all four sides, and is generally recognised - ahead of SJP - as one of the best stadia in the United Kingdom. The ridiculous lop-sided nature of SJP, while an impressive sight on the skyline, does no favours to the atmosphere within the ground, and thus the volubility of passion amongst the fans (which I don't doubt matches any club in the country) is diluted to a quite significant degree. With NUFC in their current predicament, there are no signs of these flaws being mended any time soon. Last year, many on Tyneside probably couldn't see "for the life of them" why large-scale stadium concerts would be hosted at Sunderland rather than at Newcastle. One year on and Take That have opened their tour at the SoL and Oasis played a leg of their tour a few days later.

A very close second in importance, both now and at the time of the games, is the administration, organisation, stability and commitment of the management of the hosting club and hosting stadium. I hardly think I need elaborate very much upon this point; a straw poll of Sunderland and Newcastle fans/residents and their esteem for their prospective chairmen would tell you all you need to know. (The prospect of a Mike Ashley Children's Centre or Derek Llambias Paediatric Wing at the RVI is beyond hilarious.) The nuts and bolts of organisation and management (and economics) go a long way towards explaining why the stadium concerts were staged on Wearside and not Tyneside. They will also go towards explaining why, if the FA decide upon only one host city in this region, Sunderland will be chosen ahead of Newcastle.

As for the issue of hotel beds and cultural attractions; to eyes in London and eyes abroad, Sunderland is regarded as a major feature of the larger South East Northumberland/North East Durham urban area, and as such the distance of the Hilton (Gateshead, Co Durham), Sage (Gateshead, Co Durham), Baltic (Gateshead, Co Durham), Angel (Gateshead, Co Durham), Millennium Bridge (Gateshead, Co Durham) and other attractions north of the river, albeit closer to SJP, are still regarded as very close to the SoL by historical standards and comparisons to other countries and cities that have hosted games. It goes without saying, of course, that such issues weren't an insurmountable problem in 1966 when Roker (not Middlesbrough's Ayresome, as Lebowski erroneously states) Park hosted the World Cup matches in the region.

Like Chris, I regard it as desirable and important that both cities host World Cup games. It would be a major boost to the prestige and recognition of the region, and a fitting testament to the history of this area as a hotbed of football and a hotbed of sport. Unlike Chris, I don't see "NewcastleGateshead" as the superior bid, far from it in fact, and if it does have to come down to a decision for one successful North East host, then I'd bet all the money in my pockets against all the money in your pockets that it will be SAFC who win the day.

Recently there seems to have been a great surge of psuedo intellectual mackems spouting in the press, local television and most worryingly on the BBC.  As normal the main thrust of their diatribe are anti-Newcastle rantings rather than having anything positive to say about their club or "city".  Words like "Scunthorpe" "premier" "Ashley" and "Niall" feature prominently.

I think the joker who wrote the above needs to correct his error strewn piece and understand why "Scunthorpe" probably has a more valid claim to host a major sporting event than Sunderland.

First the obvious errors.

As far as stadiums are concerned, the proof of the pudding is in the eating. Newcastle is consistently regarded as a favourite away venue for travelling fans. The Stadium of Meccano (an identikit of just about every other recent construction, Middlesbrough, Derby, Southampton, Leicester etc,etc) seldom features.

Gateshead is joined to Newcastle both physically and culturally and has not been in County Durham in most people's lifetime.

Not that there would be a problem if Gateshead was in County Durham as the vast majority of people in North Durham and many in other parts of the county regard Newcastle as their "home" cultural and entertainment venue.

Indeed the north east's only real cities, Newcastle and Durham, have been strongly tied for centuries - long before both emerged as world class university venues.

Middlesbrough DID host world cup games in 1966 - but there again it's not unlike Sunderland supporters to conveniently forget a few facts when it suits.

Secondly, some points he's politically chosen to ignore or gloss over.

Does a football club who celebrate a lousy 37 point season as the best in their history really deserve to be involved in a top international competition ?

When Sunderland has hosted big games (England vs Turkey and derbies vs Newcastle and Middlesbrough) there are always serious crowd disturbances. (Terrible racist scenes at the international and regular pitch invasions and even opposition players being confronted by "fans" in the other games)

Most vistors to Sunderland would not regard it as a "city". It feels like a small town and a pretty ugly, impoverished one at that.

No member of the Sunderland management team or it's highly paid playing staff will live in the place (many preferring to live in Newcastle or it's outlying areas) so why should they ask foreign football fans to go there ?

Even their recently installed (Geordie) manager seemed to find it very difficult and looked uncomfortable about endorsing their application.

That's not to mention the old chestnuts of Sunderland having no airport or main line railway staion. Does it even have a 4 star hotel ?

Expect the Sunderland propaganda machine to crank up the anti-Newcastle rhetoric amongst their sympathisers in the local media, and don't be surprised if more pictures of Bamburgh Castle, the Tees Barrage, Durham Cathedral or the Millenium Bridge (anywhere but Sunderland actually) are dragged out to support their application.

However also expect those in the know to see right through their phoney bid and give the place a wide berth. Just as everyone connected to their club seems to do in private.

benwell lad....sunderland can not go anti-newcastle on this as they are relying on newcastle to transport the fans there,give them somewhere to sleep, feed and water them without being abused.

if only newcastlegateshead had a stadium big enough to cater for it...........................................hang on a minute ?

benwell lad....sunderland can not go anti-newcastle on this as they are relying on newcastle to transport the fans there,give them somewhere to sleep, feed and water them without being abused.

if only newcastlegateshead had a stadium big enough to cater for it...........................................hang on a minute ?

Forgot to mention the bigger stadium............

Bob Murray's not working on their bid is he ?

So how do we get to Sunderland.

Via Aeorplane.  Landing at Newcastle Airport.  Going through Newcastle via the Metro or Taxi.

Via Train.  Stopping at Newcastle to change to the local Mackem train.  Unless you use the Grand Central service, the less said about that abomination the better.

Via Ferry.  Getting off at North Shields.

Via Coach.  Getting off at Gallowgate and using the Metro that you pick up in Newcastle.  Can just see the reaction of fans doing this as well as they look up at St James and think, 'well that's not too bad.  What do you mean, the stadium's twenty miles away? WTF!!!'.

Then how do you get to the stadium, situated in one of the worst areas of the 'city',  and that's some accomplishment, that makes getting around Johannesburg look like a walk in the park.

If the FA choose Sunderland over Newcastle for this there should be an enquiry into where the backhanders went.

we lost out in 1966 and the games were played at Joker Park and Tiresome Stadium remember

Never underestimate our ability to shoot ourselves in the foot on big occasions..........

Wasn't that down to the city council knocking back redevelopment plans for St James at that time?

So this guy (and part of the Sunderland Official bid) is doing so on features based in Gateshead (somewhere in North Durham) which include The Hilton; overlooking the Tyne, The Baltic; overlooking the Tyne & The Millennium Bridge; spanning the Tyne. What's more he's simply paying tribute to the features of a rival bid; Newcastle/ Gateshead. Perhaps he should suggest a Sunderland/ Washington bid and could include the Nissan Factory, The Galleries, The Old Hall and Princess Anne Park (they could erect a fan's camp site there with a big screen, after all, It's A Knockout was once staged there). If he pushed it he could also try including Penshaw Monument - oh hang on, the official bid has already done that.

If the FA have half a brain , there will be no doubt on which city they choose. Remember , they haven't won it yet and they need to persuade the rest of FIFA to vote for them and by choosing Sunderland over NewcastleGateshead it would be a big shot in the foot.

can't we both be chosen as host cities?? i'd love us both to get it, plenty more top class matches up 'ere.

1 stadium per host city

That can't be true. What about London?? Choosing one from Wembley, Emriates, Twickenham, Stamford Bridge and Spurs' new gaffe?? Theres plenty of room for both stadia

can't we both be chosen as host cities?? i'd love us both to get it, plenty more top class matches up 'ere.

1 stadium per host city

That can't be true. What about London?? Choosing one from Wembley, Emriates, Twickenham, Stamford Bridge and Spurs' new gaffe?? Theres plenty of room for both stadia

They only used Wembley during Euro 96, although there were fewer grounds used.

1 stadium per host city

They only used Wembley during Euro 96, although there were fewer grounds used.

is nobody going to point out that newcastle and sunderland are seperate cities ?

According to wiki, the candidates are:

(London) Wembley, Twickenham, Emirates, New Spurs Stadium

(Yorkshire) Hillsborough, Bramall Lane, Don Valley Stadium, Elland Road, KC Stadium

(Birmingham) Villa Park, St Andrews

(East Midlands) Pride Park, Walkers Stadium, City Ground

(Manchester) Old Trafford, Eastlands

(Liverpool) Anfield/New Liverpool Stadium, Goodison Park

(North East) St James' Park, Stadium of Light

(Other) Stadium MK, New Portsmouth Stadium, New Bristol City Stadium

If its still going to be 12 out of those 23, we're virtually there. Lots of those stadiums are lightyears away from being as good as SJP