Second Life

Kitman

Heard about this on the radio.  For those of you who don't know, it's an immersive  total virtual world, a bit like the Sims, which mirrors real life with jobs/currency/shops etc.  They've even got a Big Brother house.  Adidas and Nike and other companies are paying for product placement, and real fashion designers earn money designing clothes for virtual people to wear.  1.3m people play it every day apparently.

My question is, why does anyone find this appealing?  Isn't it difficult enough holding down your first life without worrying about a second one as well?  Is this supposed to be fun?  Where do people find the time?

Personally I think it sounds like complete and utter shit.  Can anyone explain the attraction (leaving aside the obvious explanation that if you're making a balls up of your first life, it's attractive to flee it and live a virtual one)?

Fair enough if you created your world, a la Vanilla Sky but...with your own imagination.

But this just seems like a pile of wank, getting bogged down by the shit of day to day living...fuck that, give me a sword and a quest. :S

Also, linkage https://secondlife.com

Fair enough if you created your world, a la Vanilla Sky but...with your own imagination.

But this just seems like a pile of wank, getting bogged down by the shit of day to day living...**** that, give me a sword and a quest. :S

Well that's what I think.  It just sounds boring....you'd at least want the option of running amok with a machine gun or something.  But where's the attraction of virtually getting up to go to a virtual job?

Maybe it's one for the kids.  Educational maybe.  Give em a virtual job/mortgage/kids/drink problem so they can have a virtual heart attack before the virtual age of 40  bluebiggrin.gif

But this just seems like a pile of wank, getting bogged down by the shit of day to day living...**** that, give me a sword and a quest. :S

Also, linkage https://secondlife.com

Thanks for the link.  Even the home page looks boring.  "Buy and sell Linden Dollars".  Nope.

Guest iainp999

i remember reading about this.

apparently there is a german woman who makes 180k euros a year (!) buying and doing up virtual property in second life!

and some kid in seattle is paying for college by selling a gun that he designed for five dollars a pop.

amazing.

amazing.

No. Sad.

It's very entrepreneurial, don't you think? If someone will buy it...

The real world needs entrepeneurs, ones who understand the business world and how to galvanise it around solutions to the problems of the modern era. Not retards who can only eke out a shit existence online ( bluebigeek.gif)

Actually, yes it is.

:lol:

Anyone heard of a game called World War 2 Online? MMOFPS or somesuch. Apparently the first "Internet War" took place when then invaded, hoping to take part in a "real" war :lol: The razing of nightclubs people had built and all sorts :lol: