The New Camp: Foster vs Vidal

Tooj

Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere. Took this from another forum.

Currently the Barça board is planning to modernize the Nou Camp following Norman Foster's project, but now Laporta and co are considering to take into account  another very ambitious project that could see Barcelona playing in a stadium built on artificial island off the Catalan coast. The project is designed by a local architect named Emil Vidal and could make the new Camp Nou the most impressive stadium in the world. So my question is which project do you prefer? The classic version of Foster or the pricey super futuristic design of Emil Vidal?

Sir Norman Foster's project:

http://rickoshea.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/barcelona-new-camp-nou.jpg

http://www.archicentral.com/wp-content/images/67.jpg

http://www.square-mag.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/camp_nou.jpg

Vidal's project

http://imagenes.lavanguardia.es/lavanguardia/img/20090718/lgbarsa1807090.jpg

http://imagenes.lavanguardia.es/lavanguardia/img/20090718/lgbarsa21807090.jpg

http://imagenes.lavanguardia.es/lavanguardia/img/20090718/lgbarsa31807090.jpg

http://img2.sportal.bg/new/uploads/tinymce/bgnac/000/C_3_Media_837695_immagine.jpg

Foster's obviously being the more practical one, but Vidal's looks absolutely glorious.

Obviously I await the hate from Mr. Burnip.  :razz:

Vidal's reminds me of that thing off Rio Ferdinands World Cup Wind-ups when they tried to sell Crouchy a house on something built off the coast like that in the shape of a penis.

Guest The Libertine

i love the psychedelic one. i'd also wager on ameobi drowning a few balls in that other one.

Vidal's reminds me of that thing off Rio Ferdinands World Cup Wind-ups when they tried to sell Crouchy a house on something built off the coast like that in the shape of a penis.

not to mention the seamen........

i love the psychedelic one. i'd also wager on ameobi drowning a few balls in that other one.

I must admit like you do expect Lucy in the sky to go past at any moment.

I would not want to be stuck in a stadium on an Island with tens of thousands of people with only one road to mainland if something went wrong. If that stadium got built it would be a disaster waiting to happen.

This was my first thought too.

Imagine when it comes to Real/Barca derby matches the trouble they would have trying to get both sets of fans along that one route.

I would not want to be stuck in a stadium on an Island with tens of thousands of people with only one road to mainland if something went wrong. If that stadium got built it would be a disaster waiting to happen.

Imagine when it comes to Real/Barca derby matches the trouble they would have trying to get both sets of fans along that one route.

Hmm, any real difference between that and say, Wembley Way?

Guest helios_centric

Foster's is awesome, Vidal's I don't like at all. Just looks to me like Foster has been to a match before and Vidal hasn't.

Guest Roger Kint

Hmm, any real difference between that and say, Wembley Way?

Or the many stadiums in industrial estates or awkward positions? Is the current stadium out of the way or not?

Guest BooBoo

The Nou Camp needs sprucing up, its a big concrete monstrosity with zero charm other than the atmosphere generated by those that fill it.

Vidal's is just another palm tree island, its been done to death now.

Foster's looks like one of our old keeper tops, the electricity bill alone would run league one per season.

Isn't it very rare for large amounts of fans to travel in Spain? I'm sure the average away following, even for El Clasico, is only a few hundred.

Isn't it very rare for large amounts of fans to travel in Spain? I'm sure the average away following, even for El Clasico, is only a few hundred.

True, although they would have several European matches with large followings.

Foster for me. Stick with the classic look. That other one is nice, but it looks like a love letter from the architect to the architect rather than a place to play football.

Foster's looks like one of our old keeper tops, the electricity bill alone would run league one per season.

Think it would class light up. Much like the Allianz does.

I think standing in front of it at night would be something special, but is it worth it? Cost wise. Suppose Barca are the kind of team to pull off something like this, a spectacle, sometimes style before substance (meant in the nicest way)

I think standing in front of it at night would be something special, but is it worth it? Cost wise. Suppose Barca are the kind of team to pull off something like this, a spectacle, sometimes style before substance (meant in the nicest way)

It would be if you'd have had a tab of acid just before.