Guitarists

LesPaul

4 hours ago, OpenC said:

The real problem is that it's difficult to be an adult and not as good as you want to be at something you don't have to do.  When you're young and you've got nothing else to really think about your enthusiasm and your potential for learning is pretty high. As an adult with competing priorities it's very easy to just fuck something off if you don't feel like you're getting better. This is why I can't play piano :lol:

With music, I reckon it all comes down to how much you want to be able to do it. If you want it enough, you'll get there. I know plenty of folk who have payed for online lessons of one kind or another and I wouldn't have said any of them can play to any standard, weeks and months down the line.

With all this said, 47 year old me recognises a lot of things that 16-25 year old me did wrong which completely ruined some aspects of my technique. I do wish somebody had told me 30 years ago that my right wrist position would work but was wrong and would ultimately restrict my potential.

:thup: Appreciate the input (and you @Mahoneys Tache)

I wouldn't say i'm a serious player but I do enjoy it and I am quite determined to improve

My biggest issue will be time as work doesn't allow me loads of free time to practise.

As you mention in that last sentence, part of me would just like some proper guidance as all i've ever done is taught myself from books (from when I first bought an acoustic in the 90's) and more recently some You Tube videos.

• 3 weeks later...

Since we don't upload very much, here's this morning's effort. Been playing Ashokan Farewell in my own unsatisfactory open C and drop D arrangements for years. Tried resurrecting an open G version this morning, instantly better. The hammers and pulls are still to be practiced obviously :) holding a bass note at the fifth fret while trying to trill on lower frets is a bit of a stretch but easier with a capo

This is the aforementioned Washburn, not sounding at its best through a peaking phone mic :lol:

Edited by OpenC

• 1 month later...

A couple of DADGAD efforts since I was sat in the house with nothing doing. Just recorded on a phone with no external mic, apologies for concentration breathing sound :lol:

First a quick couple of run throughs of my version of Bert Jansch's version of Ewan MacColl's version of The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face, which I always liked more than his similar treatment of Black Water Side which Jimmy Page stole

And second a bit of an oddity. I once found myself having to spend a couple of hours in a room which contained an acoustic guitar and the music for a Manx (I think) folk song called The Sheep Under The Snow. I've never heard a real version and I can't actually remember the music or timing properly, but this is how I play it :lol:

Apologies for strange high contrast look, no idea why that happened

Edited by OpenC

26 minutes ago, OpenC said:

A couple of DADGAD efforts since I was sat in the house with nothing doing. Just recorded on a phone with no external mic, apologies for concentration breathing sound :lol:

First a quick couple of run throughs of Bert Jansch's version of The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face, which I always liked more than his similar treatment of Black Water Side which Jimmy Page stole

And second a bit of an oddity. I once found myself having to spend a couple of hours in a room which contained an acoustic guitar and the music for a Manx (I think) folk song called The Sheep Under The Snow. I've never heard a real version and I can't actually remember the music or timing properly, but this is how I play it :lol:

Apologies for strange high contrast look, no idea why that happened

That’s genuinely really good man. I’ve been playing 40 years so that’s no

idle statement. Lovely guitar too. That rosette puts me in mind of Simon and Patrick? 

Thanks a lot man, appreciated :) you've got about three years on me, we're fairly even :)

That's actually the cheap little Washburn that I love so much. Wonderful little thing for £160 but I'm not sure how many people it would suit in this day and age, it's almost custom designed for fingerstyle playing and I don't see much of that going on any more. It's a bit weedy for bashing chords out on but absolutely perfect for the sort of thing I was playing there.

Edited by OpenC

28 minutes ago, OpenC said:

Thanks a lot man, appreciated :) you've got about three years on me, we're fairly even :)

That's actually the cheap little Washburn that I love so much. Wonderful little thing for £160 but I'm not sure how many people it would suit in this day and age, it's almost custom designed for fingerstyle playing and I don't see much of that going on any more. It's a bit weedy for bashing chords out on but absolutely perfect for the sort of thing I was playing there.

I’ve got a £80 (user) Gretsch Jim Dandy that I play live more than my expensive guitars. If you dig it you dig it. 

Aye. I've now been through my expensive guitars phase, I honestly believe it really makes fuck all difference how much extra you spend on any guitar way before you get to £1,000 but was genuinely surprised how much I like this one.

Edited by OpenC

• 2 weeks later...

Ive had my Les Paul about 3 years now (ish??) and theres still something very special about strumming a few chords. 

Especially when you find a cool progression that you can put another melody over the top of.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey man. I’m 53. I barely played for years but then got suddenly and unexpectedly single and had the leisure to play as much as I wanted and slowly started playing in front of audiences and in September I’m doing some opening spots for a blues man from America. It’s doable. I used to get horrifically nervous until I discovered I could get 40mg propranolol from perfectly legitimate online pharmacies. Half an hour before I go on and my hands are rock steady. Don’t need it most of the time now. 

On 14/08/2022 at 19:54, LFEE said:

When I see shit like this, it just makes me laugh thinking of them practicing. 

'Lads, practice at mine tonight?' just four guys huddling together in a house in a suburbs playing one guitar. 

Edited by Weezertron

• 2 weeks later...

Could never get on with mandolins - too clangy and noisy and very hard on the fingers, but I absolutely love an instrument tuned in fifths for playing traditional stuff. I just cannot get away with violins, much as I'd love to - too noisy, too alien, too difficult.

I love the small form factor and the sweet sound of ukuleles but the re-entrant tuning never made sense to me, and playing one with a bass 4th string instead just makes me miss the 5th and 6th strings I'd get from a guitar.

Game-changing solution: buy custom strings and tune ukulele in fifths :celb:it's absolutely class :smitten: