Guitarists

LesPaul

Guest Alan Shearer 9

what are you doing now? It's not hard to find the time to learn the three chords that = Oasis entire output

what are you doing now? It's not hard to find the time to learn the three chords that = Oasis entire output

As much as I love Oasis, you can play alot of songs by using Em7, G, Asus4,Dsus4 and Cadd9. Actually that's Wonderwall, D'you Know what I mean?, morning Glory and Talk Tonight soted for you.

Guest GAMMELL

Currently playing... f*cking luv it

http://www.modernguitars.com/imagefiles/gibson/GOMlarge/BWVee.gif

They are actually a nice guitar to play. They look awkward but they're not.

:coolsmiley: smooth as f*ck man

Currently playing... f*cking luv it

http://www.modernguitars.com/imagefiles/gibson/GOMlarge/BWVee.gif

They are actually a nice guitar to play. They look awkward but they're not.

:coolsmiley: smooth as f*ck man

Is there a danger of smaking the wing off something like with an Explorer?

As much as I love Oasis, you can play alot of songs by using Em7, G, Asus4,Dsus4 and Cadd9. Actually that's Wonderwall, D'you Know what I mean?, morning Glory and Talk Tonight soted for you.

That sounds all very impressive, but for the sake of Tooj, what it means is that Noel generally can't be bothered to move his index and/or little finger during a song, preferring to just leave them anchored at the third fret on the top two strings.  The lazy f***er :)

Made a lot of money out of being a lazy fucker. The lucky fucker

Fucking superb songwriter, Noel Gallagher. :thup: You don't have to like him - or his music either, tbh - but you can't deny he's blatantly a fantastic songwriter. There's better, obviously, and he's obviously not the most creative - but the stuff he does just works.

Serious danger of slipping into a heated debate here, which i'd rather not see happen to this thread, but that's just my opinion.

I'm not a fan of Oasis but Noel's acoustic stuff is really good. Have a show he did in Paris a few years ago and it's brilliant. Most of the songs are better than the originals and he actually sings them quite nicely.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Fucking superb songwriter, Noel Gallagher. :thup: You don't have to like him - or his music either, tbh - but you can't deny he's blatantly a fantastic songwriter. There's better, obviously, and he's obviously not the most creative - but the stuff he does just works.

Serious danger of slipping into a heated debate here, which i'd rather not see happen to this thread, but that's just my opinion.

You're going overboard. He's ok. I would class Oasis as good for what they are, a pub band. The music alone is just not very compelling with Oasis though, particularly the guitar work.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Job hunting.

Noel went on the dole learning chords from the guitar book he got from Toys R Us, look at him now he's fucking loaded. Make like your hero.

Job hunting.

Noel went on the dole learning chords from the guitar book he got from Toys R Us, look at him now he's fucking loaded. Make like your hero.

You need some new material man.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Can't really make my mind up about Zappa, some of his material is good but some is just downright awful. He's a very unconventional guitarist as well. Steve Vai was in his band as a youngster and transcribed his music.

Can't really make my mind up about Zappa, some of his material is good but some is just downright awful. He's a very unconventional guitarist as well. Steve Vai was in his band as a youngster and transcribed his music.

Aye, even as a massive FZ fan I must say he put out some cak. But he has 60+ albums, so that's understandable. Absolutely changed my life, though, tbh. His guitar playing is like no one else's, really. He could do the bluesy traditional stuff, but often went for this very dense, slightly-confusing style which used a lot of strange phrasing, timing and tonality. However, for a more traditional solo I would recommend 'Sexual Harrasment in the Workplace', 'Watermelon in Easter Hay' and 'What's New In Baltimore' for starters.

Guest Geordiecunny

I gave up playing a few years ago and wanna get back into it. Anyone know where I can get a telecaster on the cheap? (2nd hand, preferably not a squier but if needs be) Oh, and an Orange Amp? Always fancied one of them.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Aye, even as a massive FZ fan I must say he put out some cak. But he has 60+ albums, so that's understandable. Absolutely changed my life, though, tbh. His guitar playing is like no one else's, really. He could do the bluesy traditional stuff, but often went for this very dense, slightly-confusing style which used a lot of strange phrasing, timing and tonality. However, for a more traditional solo I would recommend 'Sexual Harrasment in the Workplace', 'Watermelon in Easter Hay' and 'What's New In Baltimore' for starters.

I've hardly heard any of FZ, just Hot Rats (Pretty damn good, think Peaches En Regalia is excellent), Apostrophe (Super), Sheik Yerbouti (A really stupid record imo, not in a good way), and The Grand Wazoo briefly. What would you reccomend to listen to from him?

I will say that having been drawn to his music by friends saying, 'this is really funny check it out', it did open my ears to more varied sounds and I started digging sounds that I had previously found dissonant. Definately a bridge for me to when I started listening to jazz; I went from Zappa to Jeff Beck's stuff with Jan Hammer (Mashivinu Orchestra lite) to Charles Mingus.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

I haven't listened to the Grand Wazoo that much because it didn't grab me, will check out those though. My mate showed me a bit of Jazz from Hell and a few of his truly terrible records :lol:

I haven't listened to the Grand Wazoo that much because it didn't grab me, will check out those though. My mate showed me a bit of Jazz from Hell and a few of his truly terrible records :lol:

Aye, JFH is pretty hard going, tbh. I'd go for The Best Band You Never Heard In Your Life. Live recordings with a big band. Good arrrangements, good playing and just about the right balance of complexity, humour and good tunes.

• 5 months later...