Tim Krul (now playing for Luton Town)

Wallace

Probably stating the obvious, but if we aren't to sign a keeper then I'd still have him as our first choice heading into the new season.

As Si has said, I'm confident Rafa could get the best out of him.

• 2 weeks later...
Tim Krul’s backing Rafa Benitez to turn Newcastle United into a “force” to be reckoned with in the Premier League.

The goalkeeper looking to end his season at loan club AZ Alkmaar on a high before reporting back to the promoted club in July.

Krul has regained his fitness during a demanding loan in Holland this season.

And the 28-year-old hopes to help AZ, facing FC Utrecht in a two-legged play-off final, qualify for next season’s Europa League.

Krul, under contract at St James’s Park for another year, will return to Newcastle on July 3 for the start of pre-season training ahead of the club’s return to the Premier League.

Asked about returning to United, Krul said: “It’s been a while – I’m looking forward to going back there after completing my loan at AZ.

“I’ve been at Newcastle for 11 seasons. It’s part of my life – a massive part of my life.

“My wife is from Newcastle. My little girl was born in Newcastle.

“I’ve got more links to Newcastle than just football. That’s something to be massively proud of.”

Newcastle manager Rafa Benitez reaffirmed his commitment to the club in the wake of talks with owner Mike Ashley this month.

“We’ve got a world-class manager, and Newcastle has massive potential,” said Krul, who was injured when the Spaniard arrived at United last season.

“That’s the chemistry that should work.

“It’s not going to be easy, because the Premier League is a different story, but there’s a positive vibe with the fans fully behind the club again.

“With the right additions, they could be a force, because the team spirit they have now is like what we had when we got promoted. That kick-starts you in the Premier League.”

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/sport/football/newcastle-united/tim-krul-newcastle-s-a-massive-part-of-my-life-and-i-m-looking-forward-to-returning-1-8560661

• 2 weeks later...

Tim Krul’s backing Rafa Benitez to turn Newcastle United into a “force” to be reckoned with in the Premier League.

The goalkeeper looking to end his season at loan club AZ Alkmaar on a high before reporting back to the promoted club in July.

Krul has regained his fitness during a demanding loan in Holland this season.

And the 28-year-old hopes to help AZ, facing FC Utrecht in a two-legged play-off final, qualify for next season’s Europa League.

Krul, under contract at St James’s Park for another year, will return to Newcastle on July 3 for the start of pre-season training ahead of the club’s return to the Premier League.

Asked about returning to United, Krul said: “It’s been a while – I’m looking forward to going back there after completing my loan at AZ.

“I’ve been at Newcastle for 11 seasons. It’s part of my life – a massive part of my life.

“My wife is from Newcastle. My little girl was born in Newcastle.

“I’ve got more links to Newcastle than just football. That’s something to be massively proud of.”

Newcastle manager Rafa Benitez reaffirmed his commitment to the club in the wake of talks with owner Mike Ashley this month.

“We’ve got a world-class manager, and Newcastle has massive potential,” said Krul, who was injured when the Spaniard arrived at United last season.

“That’s the chemistry that should work.

“It’s not going to be easy, because the Premier League is a different story, but there’s a positive vibe with the fans fully behind the club again.

“With the right additions, they could be a force, because the team spirit they have now is like what we had when we got promoted. That kick-starts you in the Premier League.”

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/sport/football/newcastle-united/tim-krul-newcastle-s-a-massive-part-of-my-life-and-i-m-looking-forward-to-returning-1-8560661

Didn't realise he was only 28. I'm guessing he's not going to figure in our plans because he's only got a year left on his contract more than anything else.

• 1 month later...

He's part of a crew which helped prop up Pardew's tenure, along with Coloccini and co. I have little sympathy.

He once had huge potential.

That said, we need a new keeper very soon.

Seems weird that he's suddenly lost all ability as a goalkeeper. Would have thought it's more about fitness and we should help him back.

Either way he's not ready to be number one this season, so I suppose it doesn't matter much whatever the explanation.

He's part of a crew which helped prop up Pardew's tenure, along with Coloccini and co. I have little sympathy.

What does this even mean? How did he prop up Pardew's tenure?

What does this even mean? How did he prop up Pardew's tenure?

Yeah, what a ridiculous viewpoint.

Weird for him to be training with the reserves. Surely he hasn't regressed so much that he's now worse than Elliott or Darlow? Seemed like a good guy and a decent professional too, so wouldn't have thought he would have had a falling out with Rafa.