Exceptional calibre

Ally

Good article on football365.com:

Take a look at the Premiership table. How many teams are managed by former players 'of exceptional calibre'? Not managers of exceptional calibre - the Premiership is riddled with those - but players of exceptional calibre. Maybe Mark Hughes. Maybe Stuart Pearce. Maybe Martin O'Neill at a push.

The rest can probably be filed under 'journeyman', while Arsene Wenger, Jose Mourinho and Rafa Benitez would be flattered by that description. A brilliant footballer is no more likely to make a brilliant manager than a soap star is likely to make a fantastic singer. John Barnes and Stefan Dennis are testament to that.

So why are the Premier League keen to help fast-track 'players of exceptional calibre' so that footballers like Alan Shearer can walk into a Premiership job? It's like Stock, Aitken and Waterman giving a contract to those twin sisters from Neighbours without ever hearing them sing a note.

I'm thinking of all the supposedly great players from my youth (think mid to late Eighties (You look younger. Promise - Ed)) and struggling to come up with a single player who has graduated to become a great manager.

Look at Chris Waddle's ignominous season in charge of Burnley, John Barnes' disastrous spell as Celtic manager (Rafael Scheidt for £5m and the 'Super Caley Go Ballistic, Celtic Are Atrocious' headline are the only two legacies of that reign) and Paul Gascoigne's 37 disciplinary problems in 39 days in charge at Kettering (presumably he was asleep for two days).

Check out Tony Adams' awful attempt to bring philosophy to Wycombe, David Platt's pathetic attempts with Nottingham Forest and the England Under-21s (surely nobody can mess up that job), Bryan Robson's years of underachievement at Middlesbrough, Glenn Hoddle's stumbling attempts to bring glory to England and Spurs, and Graeme Souness' litany of disaster culminating in him making a right royal mess of Newcastle.

At least Ian Wright has the modicum of sense that tells him he'll be rubbish at the job - his comment that he'd be "a black Kevin Keegan" is the cleverest observation ever to come from his mouth.

What does it take to be a great footballer? Instinct, passion, a lack of fear, a desire to show off, a certain selfishness, imagination...

What does it take to be a great manager? Some of the above but mostly intelligence, calmness under pressure, tactical nous, diplomacy and the ability to make decisions.

We could draw a Venn diagram and you'd find that the overlapping bit in the middle wouldn't be very big at all.

So why fast-track them? Why encourage these great players to become mediocre managers? I've got nothing against either Stuart Pearce or Gareth Southgate, but who's kidding themselves that Dave Jones or Steve Cotterill or Paul Simpson could not do better jobs?

We all know that Shearer will become Newcastle manager and Freddy Shepherd will talk of all the hundreds of goals, of the best player ever to wear that number nine, of having a Geordie back in charge of the club who bleeds black and white. The fans will bunk off work to pack into St James' to give him a hero's welcome, season ticket sales will rocket and meanwhile, some of us will be asking why Paul Jewell didn't get the job, what with him being a good manager and all.

But that would be logic. And there's absolutely no logic applied when some Premiership chairmen are appointing managers with big names, big reputations and big gaps where their managerial knowledge should be.

It done my fuckin head in on Saturday when the chants were starting then some people started chanting Shearer's name. The mans a legend, and he deserves his name sung forever, but it was blatantly obvious them people singing it were singing it as a message as if we want him as our next manager. Why can't the clueless fuckers not realize that he's got no experience whatsoever when it comes to management and he might not even by management material? The last thing we need is him to take over Roeder and have him take us down. Imagine it, the rest of the country would love it. Thankfully i think he has more sense and he will continue what he is doing. He will be our manager one day, but when he takes over he either needs to be taking over from someone who has left him with a big squad and says go on son you've got the tools there. Either that or he needs to go elsewhere first and prove himself. The last thing he needs it have the responsibility of managing that shower of shite and trying to save us. I think he's pulled that lot out of the shite enough when he's been on the pitch. And the biggest thing of all is he still has mates in the changing room. Not a good idea.

Good read. Very true too. I mean Pearce is struggling, as is Southgate. Tony Adams found it tough at lower level as did Merson. John Barnes was a worse manager than TV presenter. And even King Kenny has question marks over his managerial skills  after us and Celtic.

Paul Jewell?...

Anyways, we need a manager who Shearer can learn from, or at least get him to ply his trade in the lower leagues before becoming our manager.

I'd have no problem at all with Shearer taking over, Keegan didn't do TOO bad a job for us did he??? and he'd never managed before. I'd preffer giving someone like shearer a crack at it who is Toon through and through.

Off the top of my head for example,Klinsman hadn't managed before and he did much better than most expected in Germany 2006 (they played a fantastic attacking style too if not Shearer i woulden't mind him over here if he leaves California), van basten hadn't managed before and he got the Holland job.

No guarantee that Shearer will be a success, there was no guarantee keegan would be a success either, its a risk but one i'd be willing to take ! you know why?- Beacause Shearer instantly commands respect, if i was  player i'd really want to play for him and i'd repect what he had to say, Shearer will do what he thinks right he's an honest bloke but he woulden't take any shit he lives and breaths football and Newcastle he will make the big decisions not shirk them i.e. like Keegan dropping Cole and Clark selling David Kelly, Cole etc

When we went on that fantastic run after Soumess had left and Shearer and Roeder were put in Temporary charge i suspect that Shearer may have had alot more to do with our success than Roeder or perhaps they just worked well as a team, anyways since Shearer left and Roeders been on his own the results have left with Shearer. If he were to come back i'd not be surprised to see the results and performances improve.

Maybe a Shearer Speed combination or Shearer with an experienced head but for me i'd love to see us take a gamble on him.

Some people seem to have alread.

Who do you really think we could get in anyhow? We are not going to get a Mourinho, Benitez, Wenger, Fergie Etc. O'neil's taken now if Le Guen can't sort out Rangers then he probably won't be any good here. Hitzfeld i doubt we'd get. Imo we are going to have to unearth our own gem and Shearer could well be that Gem as a coach. 

Who do you really think we could get in anyhow? We are not going to get a Mourinho, Benitez, Wenger, Fergie Etc. O'neil's taken now if Le Guen can't sort out Rangers then he probably won't be any good here. Hitzfeld i doubt we'd get. Imo we are going to have to unearth our own gem and Shearer could well be that Gem as a coach.

Rafa Benitez was actually sacked 3 times (by Real Valladolid, Osasuna, and Extremadura) before he took over at Tenerife which was his staging post to the Valencia job.

Paul Jewell was sacked by Sheffield Wednesday before coming back with Wigan.

I don't think for a moment Le Guen is a bad manager because he's having a hard time at Rangers at the moment.

I really hope that Paul Le Guen is sacked by Rangers and snapped up by us.

This is only the first season Le Guen is in charge of Rangers. Picture Benitez's first season in Liverpool, or Ferguson's first 6 seasons in Man U.

This is only the first season Le Guen is in charge of Rangers. Picture Benitez's first season in Liverpool, or Ferguson's first 6 seasons in Man U.

Didn't Benitez win the Champions League in his first season at Liverpool?

Guest toon tone rudeboy

I'd have no problem at all with Shearer taking over, Keegan didn't do TOO bad a job for us did he??? and he'd never managed before. I'd preffer giving someone like shearer a crack at it who is Toon through and through.

Off the top of my head for example,Klinsman hadn't managed before and he did much better than most expected in Germany 2006 (they played a fantastic attacking style too if not Shearer i woulden't mind him over here if he leaves California), van basten hadn't managed before and he got the Holland job.

No guarantee that Shearer will be a success, there was no guarantee keegan would be a success either, its a risk but one i'd be willing to take ! you know why?- Beacause Shearer instantly commands respect, if i was  player i'd really want to play for him and i'd repect what he had to say, Shearer will do what he thinks right he's an honest bloke but he woulden't take any shit he lives and breaths football and Newcastle he will make the big decisions not shirk them i.e. like Keegan dropping Cole and Clark selling David Kelly, Cole etc

When we went on that fantastic run after Soumess had left and Shearer and Roeder were put in Temporary charge i suspect that Shearer may have had alot more to do with our success than Roeder or perhaps they just worked well as a team, anyways since Shearer left and Roeders been on his own the results have left with Shearer. If he were to come back i'd not be surprised to see the results and performances improve.

Maybe a Shearer Speed combination or Shearer with an experienced head but for me i'd love to see us take a gamble on him.

Good Post.

I don't see Klinsmann leaving California TBH.  He is being interviewed by both the US and Mexico for their vacant manager positions.  In the current situation (I am assuming that we are referring to the current standing of the club) I can't see taking a gamble on someone inexperienced as being a wise move.  Granted, getting someone of the calibre of Benitez, Hitzfield, or Mourinho is slim... there will be some that are possible (Ranieri or even Daum).

There is no doubt that Shearer would command respect.  But how far would that get us.  It would most likely cause a turn around in the way that we play (passion, agression, etc.) and that would get us back up to the table.  But the main problem that we have currently with Roeder is his tactics.  Would Shearer have a better approach in that particular aspect of our game?

Souness had our team play with passion on certain occasions (our game against Arsenal comes to mind) which got us the result for that day.  But it wasn't enough.

Good Post.

I don't see Klinsmann leaving California TBH.  He is being interviewed by both the US and Mexico for their vacant manager positions.  In the current situation (I am assuming that we are referring to the current standing of the club) I can't see taking a gamble on someone inexperienced as being a wise move.  Granted, getting someone of the calibre of Benitez, Hitzfield, or Mourinho is slim... there will be some that are possible (Ranieri or even Daum).

There is no doubt that Shearer would command respect.  But how far would that get us.  It would most likely cause a turn around in the way that we play (passion, agression, etc.) and that would get us back up to the table.  But the main problem that we have currently with Roeder is his tactics.  Would Shearer have a better approach in that particular aspect of our game?

Souness had our team play with passion on certain occasions (our game against Arsenal comes to mind) which got us the result for that day.  But it wasn't enough.

I'd doubt we'd get klinsman too (unfortunately) i think it'd be either Shearer or Sven more likely than not. Not convinced about Sven's tactics either, although he has lots and lots of experience, Trophies and success as a club manager . I'd preffer we took the gamble on Shearer personally even though i accept Sven would be a safer bet. Shearers tactics may be fantastic, he's a rookie manager yes but everyone's got to start somewhere.

Looking at Martin o'neil and villa makes me regret big time us not geting him, as we have far better players than villa, but it just goes to show what a massive difference a good manager makes. Anyway best look forward amd not back. Big sam would do for me too!! He always seems to get the best out of what he has.

I think a player who's only had a modest career may have the desire to prove themselves and gain success as a manager, whereas there might not be the same incentive and drive with a more successful player. Also, a less talented player may also have had to achieve what he has by hard work, listening intently to coaches and thinking deeply about the game. That attitude can then stand him in good stead as a manager.

I think Shearer actually has the potential to be a good manager. I don't think he was blessed with great natural talent, but he applied himself very intelligently and with a lot of hard graft. I think he understands the game well and has leadership qualities.

The question marks are - does he want it enough? ie Is he prepared to make the sacrifices and put up with the hassle? And - will he be able to get the best out of the more temperamental characters in the dressing room? The hard man approach won't work every time.

Have to agree with him having the hard man approach, sometimes it  works with certian players others it doesn't and that is the difference between a good Manager and a mediochre one, and I personally think Shearer doesn't have it!, he comes across to much of a hard man if it's not his way then your out and that doesn't work with all players. I think a good Manager has the ability to work with all types of personalities and make them work for him and Shearer doesn't come across as that type of Manager, I would have to say Hitzfeld was the master of this, he could do this with great success!. He had some quite difficult players perinality wise at Bayern but he managed to gel that team very well.

Sorry mate, not sure I follow your logic?

This is only the first full season that Roeder has been in charge of Newcastle. And we all know he's not up to the mark. But supposedly because Le Guen is French therefore he must be good, and Roeder's bad because of what exactly???

I do agree with your second comment where you imply that if only we'd could find a manager who we could have confidence in and support in the same way Man U stuck with Fergie during his first few troublesome years, then maybe we could find the success that we're so overdue. For me, the man for the job was undoubtedly O'Neill. But that ship has sailed. The sort of long-term planning and forethought required for true long-lasting success is just not something that the present Chairman is capable of delivering.

The only reason I would be wary of having Shearer as manager is that it would be total heartbreak for us if he was the man at the helm of us being relegated. On the other hand though, because his striking prowess wasn't reflected by a huge medal haul, maybe that would put the fire in his belly and drive him and us onwards to success.

But generally speaking I have to say I'd prefer to see him manage a couple of lower league clubs first and prove his mettle before taking the reins at SJP.