Freddy Adu trial at Manu

Martin Lol

After this morning saying he wasn't................ :roll:

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=427732&CPID=8&clid=1&lid=4161&title=United+confirm+Adu+arrival

Manchester United have confirmed to Sky Sports News that American teenager Freddy Adu will link up with the club for a two-week trial.

The Washington Post reported on Wednesday that the DC United ace was to spend two weeks with the Premiership giants later this month.

United earlier moved to reject the report but have now made a U-turn on their previous stance.

The 17-year-old is expected to train with the Premiership giants towards the end of the month to allow him to get a taste of English football.

If he impresses manager Sir Alex Ferguson, The Red Devils could step up their bid to land the Ghana-born striker in January.

Adu turns 18 next June and would therefore be eligible to move to Europe ahead of next season, but United may look to wrap up a deal as soon as possible.

However, they are likely to face stiff competition from across Europe with clubs such as Chelsea and Real Madrid also linked with the teenage sensation.

But United appear to have stolen a march on their rivals by luring him to Old Trafford for a short trial.

Adu still has a year remaining on his contract with DC United but is known to be a fan of The Premiership and could look to quit Major League Soccer for England next year.

Freddy Adu is overrated. Me thinks the Nike (Freddy's personal sponsor) ManUSA connection is in full effect here.

There are one or two MLS players that would be a good addition to the Premeirship ... Adu is not one of them.

Freddy Adu is overrated. Me thinks the Nike (Freddy's personal sponsor) ManUSA connection is in full effect here.

There are one or two MLS players that would be a good addition to the Premeirship ... Adu is not one of them.

i agree.  do you hear the faint chants of "Marvell Wynne! Marvell Wynne!"?    bluebiggrin.gif

Has anyone actually seen him play outside the world cup?  I know he missed virtually no games here at Furman, and was a pretty good finisher, but I'm just not so sure.  The modern day American attacking players don't seem really suited to British football, with the exception of Brian McBride, but he's not really modern day.

Another thing I have noticed from watching the MLS and Premiership. The MLS is undoubtedly inferior but it seems to me at least that the physical conditioning of MLS players is better overall than the Premiership... what's up with that? I am so used to our players getting knackered and looking totally worn out after the 70th minute that it amazes me to watch an MLS game with most players sprinting and making runs up until the final whistle. Maybe that says more about NUFC's lack of fitness though.

blueconfused.gif

Twellman, and Brian Ching also seem to be a step above in the MLS.... don't know how they'd adapt here though.

I think Ching would be better suited elsewhere in Europe. Not much aerial ability and hesitant on the ball.

i agree.  do you hear the faint chants of "Marvell Wynne! Marvell Wynne!"?    bluebiggrin.gif

hell yeah! as a person who watched every game wynne played in this year, i think in a few years he'd be a solid player in england. He could match henry for pace without many problems(did it against eto'o in a friendly) and his technical ability improved a rediculous amount over the course of just one season in MLS.  Definetly one for the future, but until he moves abroad, i dont want him moving away from the red bulls.

Guest Imperio

I kind of feel sorry for Adu because of all the hype surrounding him it's going to be even harder to break into the top tier of football.

Eddie Johnson looked canny from the cameo's I saw of him in the World Cup.

Twellman, and Brian Ching also seem to be a step above in the MLS.... don't know how they'd adapt here though.

I think Ching would be better suited elsewhere in Europe. Not much aerial ability and hesitant on the ball.

i think i'd still have him over twellman though.    he's taller for one thing, and hasn't had any serious injuries iirc.

i agree.   do you hear the faint chants of "Marvell Wynne! Marvell Wynne!"?    bluebiggrin.gif

hell yeah! as a person who watched every game wynne played in this year, i think in a few years he'd be a solid player in england. He could match henry for pace without many problems(did it against eto'o in a friendly) and his technical ability improved a rediculous amount over the course of just one season in MLS.  Definetly one for the future, but until he moves abroad, i dont want him moving away from the red bulls.

been talking about marvell since his days at ucla.  i'd love him at the toon, butjamesd, how is he when the weather gets heavy?

Another thing I have noticed from watching the MLS and Premiership. The MLS is undoubtedly inferior but it seems to me at least that the physical conditioning of MLS players is better overall than the Premiership... what's up with that? I am so used to our players getting knackered and looking totally worn out after the 70th minute that it amazes me to watch an MLS game with most players sprinting and making runs up until the final whistle. Maybe that says more about NUFC's lack of fitness though.

blueconfused.gif

I think is more of a product of the fact that we're playing so many games.  We've already played so many games this year, and we're having a game every weekend and midweek now it seems like, and not moving games to help with fatigue.  MLS have maybe 5 or 6 times in an entire season that they play midweek games, and the season is shorter as well. 

I dunno what it is about MLS, but it just bothers me, the style of play.  It's probably partly the Eurosnob in me saying this, but it just seems like a very strange way of playing football.  The atmosphere of astroturf and American Football lines and 1/8 filled stadia also doesn't help, but I just don't find the league really very appealing at all.