Joey Barton

Guest sicko2ndbest

The main thing Barton brought to the team last year was set-pieces up until about February. We now have Cabaye who can do that job even better.

Him and Taarabt should be a hoot to watch mind.

How can you say that when we have barely had enough time to judge Cabaye? It's a major ask for these new signings to hit the ground running when they come from a different country/league. Taking to it like to a duck to water (as Robert did) is very rare.

And if they fail because they have been thrown in the deep end then it's unforgivable on our part. Look at the way Man Utd bring in players through their team gradually keeping old heads but blooding youngsters where as with teams like us it's be a superstar or f*** off.

The thing is we have got to hope they all succeed quickly because otherwise we are going to have a problem and that is not really fair on the new players.

Security? If he cannot make the multiple millions he's already made last his lifetime then he is a bigger mug than I ever thought possible.

This. It's hard to weep for the uncertain financial future of poor racehorse-owning Joey Barton. I'm extremely good at what I do and get a reasonable wedge for doing it, but it would take me decades to earn what Joey has trousered from just one season at NUFC.

Yes but the going rate for a footballer is a lot more than people get for what society would deen more important jobs whether it is a bricklayer, a nurse, or your avarage office worker or factory line worker at Nissan.

Footballers at the top level get ridiculous wages but only in comparison to most of the population.

Rightly or wrongly the pay is onlty realistically compared with what other premiership clubs' players are earning.

Missing the point by some distance. He doesn't have to think about security, he's sucure for life, so his kids and their kids and generations for a long time. Security has been mentioned more than a couple of times in here, which I find ridiculous. Mentioning security is comparing his situation to the average Joe, us who are struggling with bills, looking for work, losing their homes, their businesses, Barton will never understand that, so people mentioning security can lay off the dramatics IMO.

I disagree. It's all relative. If Barton lived in a 3 bed semi, and drove a 52 plate astra then yes, what he has in the bank would mean security for the rest of his life. But he doesn't.

Again missing the point, security has no relevance when you are dealing in millions in the bank.

It does if your mortage runs in to thousand, or even tens of thousands per month. Your kids school fees are tens of thousand of pounds per term. Half what you own goes to your ex wife etc etc.

I'm not saying those are Bartons circumstances by the way.

Well they aren't so again not relevant. Were talking about Barton here, not someone else.

Ok. You've seen his bank balance. You know bird shops at lidl. You're right. :lol:

Guest bimpy474

The biggest issue for me, again, is squad size.

With Barton gone it leaves us roughly two/three players short (I can't be arsed to actually check) of the squad in January, and I thought that squad was wafer thin too.

We've simply got to bring bodies in, and right now I don't have faith in us doing that, so the more people like Barton we can keep hold of, the better.

Its not a small as you think but it is fleshed out with youngsters (Haris, Sammy, Fergie) and players of very limited ability (Perch, Smith, Lovelyhands, Guthrie).

Guest thenorthumbrian

Security? If he cannot make the multiple millions he's already made last his lifetime then he is a bigger mug than I ever thought possible.

This. It's hard to weep for the uncertain financial future of poor racehorse-owning Joey Barton. I'm extremely good at what I do and get a reasonable wedge for doing it, but it would take me decades to earn what Joey has trousered from just one season at NUFC.

Yes but the going rate for a footballer is a lot more than people get for what society would deen more important jobs whether it is a bricklayer, a nurse, or your avarage office worker or factory line worker at Nissan.

Footballers at the top level get ridiculous wages but only in comparison to most of the population.

Rightly or wrongly the pay is onlty realistically compared with what other premiership clubs' players are earning.

Missing the point by some distance. He doesn't have to think about security, he's sucure for life, so his kids and their kids and generations for a long time. Security has been mentioned more than a couple of times in here, which I find ridiculous. Mentioning security is comparing his situation to the average Joe, us who are struggling with bills, looking for work, losing their homes, their businesses, Barton will never understand that, so people mentioning security can lay off the dramatics IMO.

I disagree. It's all relative. If Barton lived in a 3 bed semi, and drove a 52 plate astra then yes, what he has in the bank would mean security for the rest of his life. But he doesn't.

Again missing the point, security has no relevance when you are dealing in millions in the bank.

I think you are being naive to think that money isn't part of the motivation of most footballers and always has been.

And getting the going rate for the joib is what people - among other things -  want.

Barton was willing to take a cut so perhaps it wasn't top of his list.

Security at this level doesn't really come into it, so I am not sure why you brought that up.

Guest Chubby Jason

With Barton gone it leaves us roughly two/three players short (I can't be arsed to actually check) of the squad in January, and I thought that squad was wafer thin too.

We've simply got to bring bodies in, and right now I don't have faith in us doing that, so the more people like Barton we can keep hold of, the better.

Its not a small as you think but it is fleshed out with youngsters (Haris, Sammy, Fergie) and players of very limited ability (Perch, Smith, Lovelyhands, Guthrie).

So it's pretty large when you consider the untested youth players and the shit Championship level crap. How fucking embarrassing.

I think you are being naive to think that money isn't part of the motivation of most footballers and always has been.

And getting the going rate for the joib is what people - among other things -  want.

Security at this level doesn't really come into it, so I am not sure why you brought that up.

That was the initial point on the conversation I was having and that you jumped in to, would help if you read what we were talking about, just saying.  :lol:

Why won't he understand what that feels like ?

Do you forget he was raised in one of the roughest estates in the UK where un-employment is rife and most live below the breadline.

Guest thenorthumbrian

That was the initial point on the conversation I was having and that you jumped in to, would help if you read what we were talking about, just saying.  :lol:

That'll larn me not to read a thread properly.

The main thing Barton brought to the team last year was set-pieces up until about February. We now have Cabaye who can do that job even better.

How can you say that when we have barely had enough time to judge Cabaye? It's a major ask for these new signings to hit the ground running when they come from a different country/league. Taking to it like to a duck to water (as Robert did) is very rare.

It's not like Cabaye suddenly just materialised into existence when we signed him - Nut is referring to his set piece taking ability, which is something that can be judged based on his career in French football. Taking a corner isn't more difficult in the premier league.

Great let's not worry about him adapting to the pace of the Premier League. At least we'll have good corners....

Do you think Man City thought "s***, let's not get Aguero to replace Tevez, he might not adapt".

Cabaye is a class player man.

Don't post crap man. Are you seriously comparing our squad and it's limited options with Man City's??

Guest bimpy474

So it's pretty large when you consider the untested youth players and the s*** Championship level crap. How f***ing embarrassing.

Thats kind of my point but you put it so much more eloquently :)

Guest Chubby Jason

People STILL trying to justify the cack handed, disgusting way this club is run are pretty staggering to be honest.

Why won't he understand what that feels like ?

Do you forget he was raised in one of the roughest estates in the UK where un-employment is rife and most live below the breadline.

I don't forget, and why I'd imagine he's even more careful with his money. Talk of security is ludicrous don't you think? And my only point on this.

I don't think it matters what the figures are, the fact is he's chosen a career and he's one of the best in the business*. He has made a decision which will allow him to continue to be one of the highest paid people in his profession for years to come, which is particularly important given the lifespan of a footballers career.

No matter where I end up in my career, if I think I'm one of the best, and others do too, then I want to be paid accordingly, and in the instance of a footballer, contract length is a massive factor.

His NUFC option was stay in a job where you hate your bosses, but it still has some perks, but ultimately, you're out in a year. His QPR option was go somewhere where he doesn't hate the ownership, and he has a job for another 4 years, being paid the going rate for someone of his calibre.

I don't think this constitutes "security" in the common financial sense btw, it's just his right to be getting paid the going rate for someone in his line of work.

* this doesn't mean I think he's world class from a football POV, but looking at all professional footballers in the world, he's one of the best around. Along with 5,000 others.

Guest thenorthumbrian

It's not like Cabaye suddenly just materialised into existence when we signed him - Nut is referring to his set piece taking ability, which is something that can be judged based on his career in French football. Taking a corner isn't more difficult in the premier league.

Great let's not worry about him adapting to the pace of the Premier League. At least we'll have good corners....

Do you think Man City thought "s***, let's not get Aguero to replace Tevez, he might not adapt".

Cabaye might be class, he would be better with as many other class players around him as possible.

Barton is in that catergory.

Don't post crap man. Are you seriously comparing our squad and it's limited options with Man City's??

I'm comparing City replacing a proven player in the Premier League to someone very talented but not proven in the Premier League, to Newcastle replacing a proven player in the Premier League to someone very talented but not proven in the Premier League.

Guest bimpy474

I'm comparing City replacing a proven player in the Premier League to someone very talented but not proven in the Premier League, to Newcastle replacing a proven player in the Premier League to someone very talented but not proven in the Premier League.

This point is very true, its only their prices which differ.

People STILL trying to justify the cack handed, disgusting way this club is run are pretty staggering to be honest.

Amazing isnt it?

Really can't believe the histrionics over this.

This point is very true, its only their prices which differ.

I'm guessing Aguero has a similar market value to Tevez, and without clauses/being released Cabaye & Barton would have been similar too. I don't see why it's a bad comparison tbh, plus Cabaye will have Tiote & Jonas around him who do know the league.