Cardiff to sign Alan Smith (Loan)

Guest smoggeordie

Guest smoggeordie

Manchester United have accepted an offer from Cardiff City to take England striker Alan Smith on loan, BBC Sport Wales has learned.

But a deal depends on the 26-year-old agreeing terms with the Bluebirds.

Smith broke an ankle against Liverpool in February and has not played regularly since returning.

Cardiff, who top the Championship, need cover as first-choice striker Steve Thompson will be out for most of November with an Achilles injury.

The move is thought to have been instigated by Cardiff chairman Peter Ridsdale, formerly Smith's chairman at Leeds.

In his time at Leeds, Smith was sent off against Cardiff for elbowing Andy Legg in the Bluebirds' famous 2-1 FA Cup win at Ninian Park in January 2002.

Smith is in need of regular football, but since returning to fitness in August he has struggled to force his way into Ferguson's thinking.

He was substituted after 60 minutes in the shock Carling Cup defeat to Southend on Tuesday.

from BBC sport

Alan Smith's agent insists the player wants to fight for his place at Manchester United after being linked with a loan move to Cardiff.

Cardiff are thought to have enquired about taking Smith on loan to bolster their promotion bid.

Smith, who has battled back to fitness this season after picking up a serious ankle injury last February, has struggled to hold down a place in Sir Alex Ferguson's side this season.

AFerguson is believed to be considering letting Smith go out on loan so that he can get some regular first-team action under his belt.

Smith has made only four appearances for United this season after reverting back to a forward role.

The player's representative Alex Black was in the dark regarding the speculation linking Smith with Cardiff and insists the former Leeds man is focusing on establishing himself back in the United side.

"I don't know what the situation is regarding interest from Cardiff," Black told skysports.com

"From Alan's point of view he is working hard to get his fitness back.

"He is not looking to go anywhere.

"His priority is to get fit and try and win his place in the United side."

AND

Cardiff have confirmed they have made an approach for Manchester United striker Alan Smith.

The Bluebirds have enquired about taking Smith on loan to Ninian Park to boost their striking options.

United are thought to be considering loaning out Smith as he tries to regain his peak fitness after a serious ankle injury.

Smith returned to action in August after recovering from the horrific broken ankle he picked up in the FA Cup defeat to Liverpool last February.

The former Leeds man has struggled to break into Sir Alex Ferguson's first team plans since recovering from the injury with Smith making just four appearances in the first team.

Cardiff are hoping the prospect of regular first team action might persuade Smith to make the step down into The Championship.

However, United and Smith have both still to decide whether to agree to the switch or not.

Smith's agent Alex Black told skysports.com that theplayer is keen to fight for his place at Old Trafford, while it would come as something of a surprise if United decided to let the striker leave as they are short of options in attack with Ole Gunnar Solskjaer injured and Giuseppe Rossi already out on loan at Newcastle.

Just one more door Roeder wasnt smart enough to knock on.

At this rate, here come Viduka.

You've got a massive problem with Roeder don't you!!?!!

No doubt if Roeder had gone out and brought Smith on loan, you'd be like, "is this what it's come to, helping other teams players get fit"

Aye, and how things have changed.

I was called all kinds of stuff when I suggested we should try to sign him from Leeds the season before he went to Manure. He's shite you see, doesn't score the obligatory 20 goals per season that for some means he isn't good enough, despite the fact he hadn't been used much as an outright striker, like.  bluelaugh.gif

There have been words around from Manutd supporters that smith is not good enough for manchester united.

If we can get him on loan here. Theres a chance we can get him here on a perminant move.

No doubt if Roeder had gone out and brought Smith on loan, you'd be like, "is this what it's come to, helping other teams players get fit"

I was called all kinds of stuff when I suggested we should try to sign him from Leeds the season before he went to Manure. He's shite you see, doesn't score the obligatory 20 goals per season that for some means he isn't good enough, despite the fact he hadn't been used much as an outright striker, like.  bluelaugh.gif

I seem to remember opinion being split 50/50 at the time. Also, at that time we weren't in the shit like are now. Indeed, people in there are discussing Van Nistelrooy...

Here is your post: http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php/topic,25647.msg481065.html#msg481065

The guy would be nothing but a problem, worse than Bellamy! I'd say he would so bad with his attitude that he would start an argument with his own shadow, so no thanks!

Total bollocks, tbh. He's aggressive on the field but there is no suggestion he's a gobshite off the field.

BTW Bellamy has a great attitude. It's called a "winners attitude". Look at the league table and think about it.

The guy would be nothing but a problem, worse than Bellamy! I'd say he would so bad with his attitude that he would start an argument with his own shadow, so no thanks!

Total bollocks, tbh. He's aggressive on the field but there is no suggestion he's a gobshite off the field.

BTW Bellamy has a great attitude. It's called a "winners attitude". Look at the league table and think about it.

Yeah, keep dreaming!

I seem to remember opinion being split 50/50 at the time. Also, at that time we weren't in the shit like are now. Indeed, people in there are discussing Van Nistelrooy...

Here is your post: http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php/topic,25647.msg481065.html#msg481065

I think you're having trouble reading as usual, or at least understanding plain English. Read the first sentence again and then tell me why I should give a toss about what is in that link you posted.

I think you're having trouble reading as usual, or at least understanding plain English. Read the first sentence again and then tell me why I should give a toss about what is in that link you posted.

I dispute your 'I was called all kinds of stuff' comment, unless you class one person disagreeing with you as being such.

I dispute your 'I was called all kinds of stuff' comment, unless you class one person disagreeing with you as being such.

Ok. You dispute it. So ask me if I give a toss about what you may dispute. 

The thing is, you aren't linking to the period of time I'm on about, something you hope the less bright wouldn't notice (assuming you did understand the post, you tell me.....) and which renders your reply a typical load of cack.

Sad though it is, if you keep looking, keep doing those searches, you might find something you can trip me up on one day........:cool:

Smith was very poor against Southend. He couldn't keep hold of the ball at all, and looked off the pace. I thought he was the biggest single reason why they lost. He was never the quickest to start off with, and this injury may have a long-term effect. So no, I don't think this is a golden opportunity missed.

Ah. I got the timeframe wrong.

Apologies, I just did a search for 'Smith' on your username. That was the only result.

Apology accepted.

Now go and ask your master to restore various posts that have been lost during changes to the forum, then you may find what you're looking for.

Sad sad sad........