Calum Davenport

Dave

Was listening to the radio this morning while I was waking up. Apparently his sister was involved with a bloke who is supposed to be a part of a bad crowd, both him and his mother tried to talk sense into her but she passed on the word and it all unfolded from there.

They also said the next 48 hours are critical, could still lose a leg apparently. Hope the pair of them make a full recovery although it has to be said it looks unlikely.

What's the world coming too.

Terrible. What is this country coming to? I hope Calum and his mother are alright and that the sick bastards who did this are caught, locked up and feel the full weight of British Justice fall upon them, i.e. they get sent down for a 12 months stretch and then get released on compassionate grounds a fortnight later.

What's the normal penalty for attempted murder?

same as for substantive offence = life, though no one ever serves life, look at that lockerbie bomber bloke, he served 2 weeks for every murder he comitted! a disgrace.

Always thought that life sentence didn't mean you serve the entirety of the rest of your life behind bars, but that it means the sentence stays with you for the rest of your life, or until you are pardoned. So if you are released on parole and commit another offence, you go back in clink for that old offence again, as well as serving time for the further offence. I may be wrong on this.

Think you're getting mixed up with a suspended sentence. But if you were to be released early from Life then I guess that would form a partial suspended sentence, need a lawyer in here.

Guest Stephen927

Would love to see him come back from this and play for West Ham again. He might have been on the fringes and been linked with a move away but to see his career end of it no matter how good or bad it's been so far would be a great shame.

Terrible. What is this country coming to? I hope Calum and his mother are alright and that the sick bastards who did this are caught, locked up and feel the full weight of British Justice fall upon them, i.e. they get sent down for a 12 months stretch and then get released on compassionate grounds a fortnight later.

Last week I had a thought about whether anyone would be so mad at Mike Ashley that they may actually attempt something like this. I had thought that something like this would be highly unlikely but todays news just confirms that there are some absolutely mad fuckers out there who are capable of anything  :undecided:

Yeah, and everyone just laughed off (or got insulted by) his worries about his family's safety. There's shit-loads of nut-jobs out there and if they get a chance to do something crazy they'll take it.

Did he not say it was his family's safety at matches? Which contradicted everything that the Northumbria Police said.

At the matches or elsewhere, I don't see that it makes a great deal of difference, as I remember it he said that he was worried for his family's safety and therefore didn't feel he could bring them to matches any more, that's not quite the same as saying that there had been a direct threat made to them at the match. He could just have been worried that by bringing them to the matches people would know who they are and what they looked like and so-on. Whatever the specifics of it were, I still think he was justified in feeling worried about that at the time and even though as it turned out nothing happened, people were wrong to just laugh it off as an impossibility.

With regard to what the police said, well they're hardly going to say "There's no way we can protect you, you're totally fucked mate, good luck you'll need it." are they? To be slightly less flippant about it, they may well have not been aware of any specific threat, but that doesn't mean one didn't exist nor did it mean that he shouldn't be concerned about it and not take any precautions to protect his family. The police haven't warned me about any particular threat to my home and property, but that doesn't mean I leave my doors and windows wide open all the time. I mean the police don't tend to know about crimes until after they've happened in general, do they.

I think he was sensible to consider the risk to his family given the situation and people's response to hearing about that (ie laughing it off or getting insulted by it) was wrong. But then people have been generally irrational and overly emotional about everything to do with this club for about a year now, so I guess it's to be expected.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north-east-news/todays-evening-chronicle/2008/09/16/police-deny-warning-toon-owner-to-stay-away-72703-21827251/

Ashley released a lengthy statement saying he no longer wanted to “subsidise” the club and planned to sell it.

In it, he said: “I am not stupid and have listened to the fans. I have really loved taking my kids to the games, being next to them and all the fans.

“But I am now a dad who can’t take his kids to a football game on a Saturday because I am advised that we would be assaulted.”

Although his own security staff may have warned him to stay away, Northumbria Police have confirmed they issued no formal warnings to the billionaire tycoon.

A spokesman said: “We gave no formal advice to Mr Ashley about not attending Saturday’s game. It is not our place to do so.”

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north-east-news/todays-evening-chronicle/2008/09/16/police-deny-warning-toon-owner-to-stay-away-72703-21827251/

Ashley released a lengthy statement saying he no longer wanted to “subsidise” the club and planned to sell it.

In it, he said: “I am not stupid and have listened to the fans. I have really loved taking my kids to the games, being next to them and all the fans.

“But I am now a dad who can’t take his kids to a football game on a Saturday because I am advised that we would be assaulted.”

Although his own security staff may have warned him to stay away, Northumbria Police have confirmed they issued no formal warnings to the billionaire tycoon.

A spokesman said: “We gave no formal advice to Mr Ashley about not attending Saturday’s game. It is not our place to do so.”

And?

Guest Stephen927

To be fair, he had a valid enough reason not to go to the games with his family. Would be like sitting in the gallowgate with a mackem top on.

Just posting it because both Tooj and yourself didn't appear sure on what was said.

Ok, no worries. ;)

Someone would have only had to look on here or any of the other forums and read some of the things people were posting to have gone to him and warned him about it. We can all laugh it off as idle threats that were never going to happen, but if it was you and your family you'd probably decide that you couldn't take that risk, regardless of what the police were or were not saying to you.

Just posting it because both Tooj and yourself didn't appear sure on what was said.

I remember it. I was just fishing for a bite in all honesty.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/giflix/gifs/iongmf2q2mwl.gif?AWSAccessKeyId=0NEMFYTS5VQ806HF9CR2&Expires=1251040602&Signature=sYSgdKgW8kCP17Ee8tW0kbn%2F7lk%3D

Looks like a deliberate act to me, stabbing him on the legs. It's the same as breaking a pianist's fingers to ruin his career, and it's sick. Really, sick.

Might not be too much, but my prayers go out to him and his mum tonight. Darn, 26 is too young for a footballer to lose his career, let alone have a leg amputated.

Violent crimes involving the young is apparently on the rise in the UK these days. Scums like those who did (and advocated) such acts to the two should be meted with the full force of the law.

People who don't behave like humans don't deserve human rights.

Guest The Libertine

shouldnt it just be assault if someone is stabbed in the legs? if i was trying to kill someone i'd aim a lot higher.

Guest Phil K

Looks like a deliberate act to me, stabbing him on the legs. It's the same as breaking a pianist's fingers to ruin his career, and it's sick. Really, sick.

The "human rights act" is one of main reasons WHY they do it.

Their "rights" to attack others. It's what you get when you let the politically correct and the lawyers make laws.

The Guardianista vermin are behind most things that enrage the people - and this government grovel to them, and ask how high they should jump.

shouldnt it just be assault if someone is stabbed in the legs? if i was trying to kill someone i'd aim a lot higher.

stabbing someone to sever the femeral artery in the legs is attempting to kill them as if thats cut you will bleed to death very quickly

Guest Phil K

stabbing someone to sever the femeral artery in the legs is attempting to kill them as if thats cut you will bleed to death very quickly

The peabrained thugs responsible for this wouldn't have a clue about any artery - they would have stabbed him in the legs to destroy his career.

Guest The Libertine

it doesnt sound like we're dealing with medical students here though, more like "he's a footballer, do the legs".

Guest Stephen927

The peabrained thugs responsible for this wouldn't have a clue about any artery - they would have stabbed him in the legs to destroy his career.

Rule number one, never underestimate the criminals.

Their "rights" to attack others. It's what you get when you let the politically correct and the lawyers make laws.

The Guardianista vermin are behind most things that enrage the people - and this government grovel to them, and ask how high they should jump.

What utter utter bullshit.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

funny though.

funny though.

Aye.

Guest Phil K

funny though.

Aye.

Coming from someone who hasn't managed a post worthy of even "sh*te" level, thats a laff...and an administrator. :rolleyes:

And the other person who's still carrying pics of Ramage ?

Mind, I'll lose sleep over being criticized by you'se two !  :nope: