Newcastle v Huddersfield 26/08/09 - Pre Match Thread

Fatwax

I expect a loss, but a spirited one. I also expect the likes of Butt, Xisco and maybe Ranger/Lua Lua to be given starts/extended game time since it's a cup match. If we go out it's nothing bad at all, the league is our priority.

Play the reserve/academy team.

We have bigger fish to fry and the sooner we are out of this compo the better. I also don't like the idea of Huddersfield out to prove a point and injuring our players after the last game.

We have bigger fish to fry and the sooner we are out of this compo the better. I also don't like the idea of Huddersfield out to prove a point and injuring our players after the last game.

I've never understood this mentality. Sure, there's the consolation of "being able to focus on the league", but by no means can I see it being particularly better if you were knocked out. A premiership team in the 3rd round (if you get through) could for example give you a test to see what sort of level you're at. And besides, a decent cup run will only raise spirits surely.

I would agree however to playing some of the younger lads.

I've never understood this mentality. Sure, there's the consolation of "being able to focus on the league", but by no means can I see it being particularly better if you were knocked out. A premiership team in the 3rd round (if you get through) could for example give you a test to see what sort of level you're at. And besides, a decent cup run will only raise spirits surely.

I would agree however to playing some of the younger lads.

Why do we need to know what level we're at?  We just need to keep winning in the Championship.

I would give the bench players a chance. They will be needed in the championship soon so best to get them used to playing in the first team asap. Start Lua Lua, Kadar, Ranger and Xisco. Guthrie too to get his fitness up.

Will be interesting to see how Nicky Butt fares in his first match as player-manager. :celb:

Oops, I was supposed to keep that secret until the press conference, wasn't I, Mike? :doh:

fuck that!

I take every game and every possible win we can get atm. If we keep getting a decent draw in the cup then so be it IMO.

We need to keep up that winning mentality if we're to stand a chance.

Guest The Libertine

Got to love the games coming thick and fast. :)

:thup: especially when we're winning them.

easy win here. shearer will start with a bang or be watching said bang keegan style.

Will be interesting to see how Nicky Butt fares in his first match as player-manager. :celb:

Oops, I was supposed to keep that secret until the press conference, wasn't I, Mike? :doh:

You're peddling this one pretty extensively.  :shifty:

I think the definite starters will be Butt and Guthrie so get their fitness up, Kadar probably too, could be left back or centre back really. Hopefully Krul in goal too. After that I expect Shola and Nolan to get a rest hopefully for Xisco and Ranger but wouldn't put money it, maybe we'll have some new faces in by Wednesday (chortle)