Any web designers on here?

Dave

I'm sure there are a few who have mentioned it in the past.

I'm after a mock-up design done as a favour - nothing complicated, just a basic, attractive site that shows what can be done.

Post in this thread if you can help me out.

Random web developer question.

Have any of you worked independently?

How much have you charged for creating a small website for a small business? How have you charged?

Also, what process have you followed for working out what kind of site your client would want and getting that design signed off?

Any advice would be welcomed.

How much have you charged for creating a small website for a small business? How have you charged?

Also, what process have you followed for working out what kind of site your client would want and getting that design signed off?

I usually charge £500. It may seem like a lot, but it isnt really. Obviously if the site has about 4 pages then it is a lot less. Basically go to a meeting with the client, think of how many hours it will take to make the site, then give yourself an hourly rate for it.

I hold meetings with the clients, write down a shit load of stuff they tell me, ask them questions etc then after about a week present them with potential designs. Basically hold a couple of meetings in the first week and get to grips with it.

You should host the site at a sub domain on your own server so the client can see the site as you build it. That way they can tell you if they are unhappy with something, give ideas etc during the build process.

I usually charge £500. It may seem like a lot, but it isnt really. Obviously if the site has about 4 pages then it is a lot less.

I hold meetings with the clients, write down a shit load of stuff they tell me, ask them questions etc then after about a week present them with potential designs. Basically hold a couple of meetings in the first week and get to grips with it.

You should host the site at a sub domain on your own server so the client can see the site as you build it. That way they can tell you if they are unhappy with something, give ideas etc during the build process.

Ok that sounds perfect for what I was thinking. For the most part anyway.

That last para, I would agree, to an extent. I'd say showing them at x amount of progression points was sensible, not necessarily allowing them to see it 100% of the time. I say this because at work I'd get bugged by the client (internal) all the time, saying they want x changed when it wasn't even close to completion.

Cheers Duncan.

After a huge favour along the same lines as Dave.

A programmer is doing a site as a favour to me but 'creative' isn't his strong point and the mock up needs to look a bit more smooth/sleek.

Would anyone with an idea about that sort of thing be prepared to have a look at the current design and perhaps have a play with the current look to see if it can be made to look better?

I'm know naff all about such things and am the least creative person in the world.

Again, appreciate it's a huge favour, and would be most indebted if someone could have a gander.

Thanks

After a huge favour along the same lines as Dave.

A programmer is doing a site as a favour to me but 'creative' isn't his strong point and the mock up needs to look a bit more smooth/sleek.

Would anyone with an idea about that sort of thing be prepared to have a look at the current design and perhaps have a play with the current look to see if it can be made to look better?

I'm know naff all about such things and am the least creative person in the world.

Again, appreciate it's a huge favour, and would be most indebted if someone could have a gander.

Thanks

Anyone...........................Could really do with a hand with this...........PM me if you'd come to the rescue!

Will sort out a hefty discount code when it's actually up and running.