Our tiny squad

Dave

I suppose I'm like a few who have been caught out by the fact that we've won a few games but reading this piece on .com really shows how pathetic our squad is:

With less than a week before the end of the transfer window, the current Newcastle United squad has now been depleted to dangerous levels as rumours of further departures circulate.

Although our squad numbers go up to 49 (Sam Adjei), it may surprise you to learn that only 17 of our current squad have ever started a competitive first team game.

That includes Danny Simpson (2), Tim Krul (1) and Xisco (4), leaving just 14 players who have started ten or more games for us.

How many of those could you call defenders? Well we reckon four - Enrique, Simpson, Coloccini and Steven Taylor, the last two being rumoured to be on their way.

There are no other defenders at the club who have played first team football, with makeshift right-back Ryan Taylor playing most of his football in midfield.

Highest scorers in the current squad? Well, top of the list is easy enough - Shola Ameobi with 54 from his 255 games. So who's next on the list...?

That's right, chief marksman and Forest Gump impersonator, Steven Taylor with nine first team goals. Hot on his heels is net-buster Nicky Butt with five Toon goals and we're then down to Andy Carroll with three.

A conservative estimate would say we're ten players short of a competitive Championship squad and anyone harbouring thoughts of a Premier League return are taking the glass half-full analogy to extremes.

Perhaps, like us, you're looking at the ten points gained so far as contributing towards our relegation fight. This is set to be one almighty long slog in the second tier....

Full squad stats:

http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/1574/captures.gif

:no:

Whoever takes over (or not), it is absolutely fucking vital that the manager, Hughton or anyone gets at least six bodies in.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

We won't sign anybody until January at the earliest in my opinion. Ashley won't back Hughton and we're still pretty in the dark to how the takeover ('s) are progressing

To be fair to a few of the players mentioned just because they haven't played any first team football for us doesn't mean they haven't got first team experience elsewhere.  Danny Simpson and Xisco have each made over 50 1st team appearances for various teams, Tim Krul and Andy Carroll have over 30 appearances, just not for us.

What are other club's squads like at this level though? Not sure too many have players with the quality of Krul, Butt, Geremi & Xisco on the bench, with Barton & Carroll (all relatively speaking of course in terms of other Championship benches) to come back in.

I agree the squad is small but as Churchill(?) said 'there's lies, damned lied and statistics.'

Saying S.Taylor is our second top scorer doesn't mean much, isn't he the third longest serving player in the squad?  Give Ranger, Carroll and Xisco games and they'll score.

As I say we definitely need reinforcements but let's not spin facts for the sake of it.

Guest Heneage

I'd say we need 4-5 coming in to be honest. But that's on the presumption that Ranger and Lua Lua are considered first team players. We should be giving Baheng or Haris a go see there level.

Meh, would like to see the youth actually given a chance rather than rushing out than getting half-arsed loans and 'experienced' frees with their best years long behind them.

Think it's time for a lot of these players to step up, and I'm honestly not that fussed if we don't sign another player - although at this club we always could do with another full back!  :pow:

What are other club's squads like at this level though? Not sure too many have players with the quality of Krul, Butt, Geremi & Xisco on the bench, with Barton & Carroll (all relatively speaking of course in terms of other Championship benches) to come back in.

Exactly, it's normal at this level.

Guest helios_centric

It's patently paper thin and I don't see how anyone could be happy to proceed and think we'll go up with what we have on our books currently. One slight saving grace is the shocking quality of oppposition, but you still need to field a cohesive team.

I don't think we have much quality to come back into the squad at all and our track record with injuries is abysmal, lest we forget. It will also be interesting to see how many 'injuries' appear once the transfer window closes and some of our wantaway players can't be arsed to go through the motions any more.

We'll still get some players, regardless of what the situation is regarding the takeover. We wouldn't have signed Simpson otherwise. I can see another three loan/frees coming in, should no one else leave.

It's patently paper thin and I don't see how anyone could be happy to proceed and think we'll go up with what we have on our books currently. One slight saving grace is the shocking quality of oppposition, but you still need to field a cohesive team.

I don't think we have much quality to come back into the squad at all and our track record with injuries is abysmal, lest we forget. It will also be interesting to see how many 'injuries' appear once the transfer window closes and some of our wantaway players can't be arsed to go through the motions any more.

:thup: I agree completely, and also think we'll pick up a canny few suspensions given the way we're hoying our way into tackles and the nutters we've got in midfield in particular.

This is what a lot of people are losing sight of, while our squad is small, if we could get around three or four signings in for crucial positions we would look pretty healthy compared to most. A centre back, left back and right winger would be top of the list for me. A striker would be the icing on the cake, but we are probably better off giving the likes of Ranger a go ahead of bringing in some nobody on loan.

The only good thing is that we haven't really noticed the departure of any of the players who have left.

Was Michael Owen more useful to us than Nile Ranger? Nope.

Was Damien Duff more effective than a random midfielder from the reserves? Nah.

I agree the squad is too thin, but I think its ability to compete in football matches hasn't gone down at all because of the departures.

Only Beye will be missed.

I think people are over reacting with the size of our squad, compare it to other squads in this division and its basically the same and probably has more experience in it than most in this division, I think people need to realise this is not the premier league and youngsters can come in and do a job at this level,  tbf, if we were in the prem now alot of our youngsters would probably be on loan in this division.  I'm not saying its massive and could do with strengthening but its not as bad as most make out.

The only good thing is that we haven't really noticed the departure of any of the players who have left.

Was Michael Owen more useful to us than Nile Ranger? Nope.

Was Damien Duff more effective than a random midfielder from the reserves? Nah.

I agree the squad is too thin, but I think its ability to compete in football matches hasn't gone down at all because of the departures.

Only Beye will be missed.

:idiot2:

Based on nothing more than blind optimism.

I think people are over reacting with the size of our squad, compare it to other squads in this division and its basically the same and probably has more experience in it than most in this division, I think people need to realise this is not the premier league and youngsters can come in and do a job at this level,  tbf, if we were in the prem now alot of our youngsters would probably be on loan in this division.  I'm not saying its massive and could do with strengthening but its not as bad as most make out.

That doesnt determine that the youngsters would be some of the better players in the division though does it, which is what we need to expect promotion. There will be a massive drop in the ability of our side if we lose some of our better players to injury and can only bring in reserves in certain areas. With Guthrie/Barton out alone i think we become about 50% worse as a side let alone losing players in other areas like Jonas & Enrique.

The only reason its easy to be so optimistic about the kids is because we havent seen them tested at this level.