Mackem On OTB Reckons Cathcart Is Coming To Toon.

Crumpy Gunt

The problem with loans is, it's very unlikely we'll bring in better than what we have, so they'll be most likely as back up, which is fair enough. If there's a limit on how many we're allowed to bring in, I'd rather we waited until October or November when we can get 2 or 3 in over the busy winter period when we'll be stretched to the limits. At the moment, unless the injury situation dramatically gets worse, we're just about ok.

Guest Roger Kint

The problem with loans is, it's very unlikely we'll bring in better than what we have, so they'll be most likely as back up, which is fair enough. If there's a limit on how many we're allowed to bring in, I'd rather we waited until October or November when we can get 2 or 3 in over the busy winter period when we'll be stretched to the limits. At the moment, unless the injury situation dramatically gets worse, we're just about ok.

Not necessarily. Any form of RW would be an improvement to Geremi/Raylor tbh

Guest sicko2ndbest

We dont need players better than we have, our starting 11 will get us up! We just need back up

Yeah... i meant rather, what constitutes to an 'emergency'. We've got two recognised centre-backs and two youngsters who have appeared in the squad on more than one occassion. Surely going for Cathcart would hardly be deemed an 'emergency'.

Cathcart wouldn't be classed as an emergency loan as all of the paperwork is apparently sorted.

Villa still have/had to complete the dunne deal but the fa are happy with it to go ahead as most of the formalities had been completed before the deadline, maybe this is the same sort of situation?

If it's true, then I'd imagine so. It seems sensible to have processed everything before confirming it when he's completed his Internationl duty, which the FA will probably have agreed with.

Guest geoffasenna

United's Champions League squad numbers in full are: 1.Van der Sar, 2.Neville, 3.Evra, 4.Hargreaves, 5.Ferdinand, 6.Brown, 7.Owen, 9.Berbatov, 10.Rooney, 11.Giggs, 12.Foster, 13.Park, 15.Vidic, 16.Carrick, 17.Nani, 18.Scholes, 20.Fabio, 21.Rafael, 22.O'Shea, 24.Fletcher, 25.Valencia, 26.Obertan, 27.Macheda, 28.Gibson, 29.Kuszczak.

Additional players registered*: 8.Anderson, 19.Welbeck, 23.J.Evans, 31.C.Evans, 33.Hewson, 36.Gray, 37.Cathcart, 38.Zieler, 39.Chester, 40.Amos.

named in the reds CL squad today. looks like its dead in the water.

United's Champions League squad numbers in full are: 1.Van der Sar, 2.Neville, 3.Evra, 4.Hargreaves, 5.Ferdinand, 6.Brown, 7.Owen, 9.Berbatov, 10.Rooney, 11.Giggs, 12.Foster, 13.Park, 15.Vidic, 16.Carrick, 17.Nani, 18.Scholes, 20.Fabio, 21.Rafael, 22.O'Shea, 24.Fletcher, 25.Valencia, 26.Obertan, 27.Macheda, 28.Gibson, 29.Kuszczak.

Additional players registered*: 8.Anderson, 19.Welbeck, 23.J.Evans, 31.C.Evans, 33.Hewson, 36.Gray, 37.Cathcart, 38.Zieler, 39.Chester, 40.Amos.

:dowie: They named Hargreaves too, and everyone knows he'll never play again...  :lol:

At a guess the additional are called up if one of the top selection pulls out?

If I am correct then I guess even if we are signing him they will register him on that list so in the unlikely event ALL their centre backs get injured and they need to recall him he can play in European games......

All speculation / guesswork on my part. :D

think sir bobs death has made fergie go sentimental.

Am suprised he seems content to aid our crawl out of relegation.  Guess he enjoys a tussle at sjp. 

He could also be a realist and realise its gonna happen anyway, so may as well blood some younguns.....

To be fair we must be a good place for prem clubs to loan players at the moment, big crowd, will win a lot of games and have a fairly thin squad so they will get game time. We are doing them a favour tbh, who else will offer crowds of 40,000?

*UEFA rules permit any player born on or after 1 January 1988 who has been eligible to play for the club for any uninterrupted period of two years since his 15th birthday to be registered outside of the 25-man squad limit.

Therefore, anyone who qualifies under that rule does not need to be listed in the main champions league squad to be eligible to play. Conversely, people eligible under that rule will always be listed to play, even if the management have no intention of playing them.

Nothing to see here people.

Oh my god! A horrible plane crash! Hey everybody, get a load of this flaming wreckage! Come on, crowd around, crowd around!

Well, he certainly wont be getting cup-tied by coming to us. And if they need him, they just recall him back.

Guest jeffers09

From the northern eco

NEWCASTLE will attempt to sign Craig Cathcart on loan next week after a series of deadline-day discussions failed to end in the Manchester United defender moving to St James’ Park.

While the Magpies added Peter Lovenkrands to their squad on Tuesday afternoon, a similar attempt to sign Cathcart ended in frustration.

Newcastle officials were hoping to pull off a £1.75m deal for the 20-year-old, who made 31 Championship appearances while on loan with Plymouth Argyle last season, but talks failed to reach a successful conclusion.

An attempt to sign Matthew Kilgallon proved similarly unsuccessful, but while Sheffield United will not consider loaning the centre-half to the Magpies, Sir Alex Ferguson is willing to sanction a loan move for Cathcart.

The Northern Irishman has not featured in a single senior Manchester United squad this season, and Ferguson is ready to loan out the youngster.

Guest Stephen927

Made 31 appearances for a team that finished 21st. Obviously it's impossible to judge him on his teams position without seeing him play like Bassong, it is encouraging to see he's played so many games for a team at this level at a young age.

Guest Roger Kint

The only question mark I'd have over this is his lack of experience. Centre back's one of the positions I'd be wary of throwing in one of our youngsters so what makes Cathcart any different?

Because he has played a fair chunk of a sides relegation battle last year? Because he has experience however limited in a foreign league and is an under 21 regular? Because a knee injury slowed down his chances of playing for Man Utds first team in 2007 where now Jonny Evans has taken over which shows how high Fergie rates him?

As opposed to ermm pretty much nothing like our kids....

Guest Stephen927

How much does experience matter anyways? Look at Coloccini, he's played for Milan, Atletico, Villareal, Deportivo, and he's still dogshit.