Its about time at last to clear out the olduns & bring on the younguns!

Doug

What became more apparent than ever to me against Leicester was how obvious it now is to blood young, hungry, energetic players and finally get rid of the last of the has beens.

Contrast Ranger with Geremi for instance.

Geremi is so immobile he ended up a vitual passenger standing on the left wing getting in Enriques way more than anything in the first half last night, He will play one touch football as a link man if it is played to his feet but is never going to be a creative driving force in the team. Geremi in the side is like playing with 10 men IMO. 60K a week, just pay him off today and give a young player his place. He is a reminder to us all of the futile hasbeen signing policy which has both relegated and almost bankrupted this great club.

Ranger was a breath of fresh air as he grew in stature and convidence as the match went on. Full of energy and running, he will only get better with more time on the field.

I am sure some of the other youngsters can be the same. Build them up and bring them on!

It's about getting the balance right. Experienced players are fine in the right areas like centre midfield where Smith has been outstanding for me. It's pretty clear at this level you don't need the pace throughout the side which is required in the premier.

I'd never thought of using our youth players before now.

Thank you, thank you ever so much for opening my eyes.

Its patently obvious the powers that be for the last 2 seasons have not thought of it though. Butt should never have pulled on a Newcastle shirt again after the defeat at Derby 2 years ago but carried on as the 'midfield dynamo' of choice right up until our demise.  Do you not find that puzzling? I do.

Aye the right blend is a must, fort me Butt can leave but no on else, Vuckic can replace Butt.

Aye, it's a great idea to play someone who is basically a supporting striker in dm sitting infront of the back 4 despite never starting a professional match.

Smith, Nolan and Barton can all do the DM role we do not need Butt all he would do is take up a place on the bench a place a young very talented creative CM player could take.

Reading were a perfect example of a team full of promising youngsters. They just couldn't compete with the experience in the Newcastle side.

One or two at a time is the best way and get them off the bench when we're 2 or 3 up and the game is in the bag.

Both Ranger and Geremi contributed to last night's win in their own way. One with a lot of eager running and no short measure of potential class, and the other with years of international and big game experience as we played the game out.

Guest The Libertine

Or we could just leave things as they are and carrying on winning football matches.

Really tough decision that.

that logic has never ever worked in the history of the game.

Need to introduce young uns to the team gradually. Bunging 3 or 4 in at once will f*** the team and the kids up.

This - and I'm not convinced about some of them(Lua Lua for example).

As Hansen said once - you win nothing with a team of kids.

Need to introduce young uns to the team gradually. Bunging 3 or 4 in at once will f*** the team and the kids up.

Aye... but he was wrong... :undecided:

:lol:

A couple of months before Man Utd won the title?

Or we could just leave things as they are and carrying on winning football matches.

It may have worked in 1996 as we were on course for the title.

Then signed Tino.

Let's just leave the team as it is.

Our youngsters are way too raw man ,Vuckic looked scared as fuck on the pitch yesterday, what we have right now is a good mix of young and old players and i'd like to keep it this way, ease the youngsters into first team football without putting too much pressure on them.

Guest The Libertine

Then signed Tino.

its not even a nearly similar situation. we need players in. its a very simple concept for a club with a small squad.

I'd never thought of using our youth players before now.

Thank you, thank you ever so much for opening my eyes.

Its patently obvious the powers that be for the last 2 seasons have not thought of it though. Butt should never have pulled on a Newcastle shirt again after the defeat at Derby 2 years ago but carried on as the 'midfield dynamo' of choice right up until our demise.  Do you not find that puzzling? I do.

Well back when we played Derby we had hardly any academy options.. the problem then was a lack of depth in the central midfield role as far as I remember. Who were our actual options for that day? I remember the likes of Barton being injured. Also negative tactics played a big part, since Butt was really useful that season when Keegan used him, Geremi and Barton in a midfield 3 where they could use short quick passes and not have so much pressure to retain possession themselves. They also had Owen dropping in deep.

I agree with you that youth should be used, but experience counts for a lot in this league and its not as if your point hasn't been said time and time again in other threads.

Then signed Tino.

its not even a nearly similar situation. we need players in. its a very simple concept for a club with a small squad.

I'd like us to add to the squad today but only if the right player becomes available and I don't care who we bring in, they'll have to wait for their chance. If it comes down to it, then i'd be happy with what we've got and then just use the loan market if needed.

You don't change a winning side. End of.