Anyone still want Shearer?

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Geordiekev

After he has proven himself in the lower leagues, yes.  We are not an experiment.  We need experienced (tactical) hands behind the wheel.

yeah indeed! you must also think Barcelona were right mugs for getting Josep Guardiola as boss! I mean they are no experiment either!

There are too many people that have blanked the fact that we are in a lower league from their mind, last season many people said he should gain experiance in the Championship before taking the plunge in the Prem, as far as I'm concearned he has this chance now and better still with his own club.

What I would disagree with is him demanding a crazy salary, he is new at the role and should be rewarded accordingly.

After he has proven himself in the lower leagues, yes.  We are not an experiment.  We need experienced (tactical) hands behind the wheel.

yeah indeed! you must also think Barcelona were right mugs for getting Josep Guardiola as boss! I mean they are no experiment either!

Even Guardiola had more expierence than Shearer.

please tell me about those experiences? which club? league? how many games? :)

I can tell you nothing that isn't on wiki, he managed Barca B for a season and got them promoted to the 3rd tier in Spain. Imagine Shearer managing in league 2.

Guest Soundas

I would like Shearer to come along with Carver, Lee and Speed.

Houghton to stay on aswell.

Would be a great setup if we could do it.

Guest neesy111

I can tell you nothing that isn't on wiki, he managed Barca B for a season and got them promoted to the 3rd tier in Spain. Imagine Shearer managing in league 2.

yeah this is true

Shearer needs to go be an assistant elsewhere and learn the trade on a more day-to-day basis.  He needs to suck his ego up and learn from a good manager.

There's no way he'll ever be an assistant and it wouldn't do him any good anyway. He needs to manage a lower league club right now

So you want a manager that's at least taken a league two side up to league one.  Well let's check out who got promoted to league one last season! nailed on to be good as Guardiola.  O0

He's got good potential as a manager and - as Burnip says - he's one of only two people that would be given time by a large number of fans.

But I wonder now whether he's missed the boat. In life, you have to take your opportunities while they're there, and his attitude seemed to be that he would only take the job permanently if his masterplan was agreed. The players have responded to Houghton and we're doing well, so it won't be straightforward now for him to walk back into the job and run things his way. The players who have stayed behind and weathered the crisis might not welcome him with open arms like before. Shearer should have just said that he was interested in the permanent job, and left it at that.

The alternative thought process is that the players are willing at the moment because they're still expecting (or hoping for) Shearer to come in and/or things to change one way or another. They're trying to impress.

Will they still be responding to Hughton in a couple of months?

As long as we keep winning and sit at the top of the league or there abouts, I imagine they will.  If times get tough, then I'm not so sure.

I think this is the main reservation about Hughton. He seems a softly spoken character and not a natural at firing people up or kicking ass in times of trouble. I imagine it's why he's chosen to be a coach rather than a manager. He seems to be growing in confidence, but I have my doubts about whether he's going to be a good long term bet.

One problem with a coach becoming a manager is the relationship that they have with the players. A coach is not as distant as a manager, and at first that extra bit of palliness can be a help in drawing everyone together. That's what happened with McFaul and Roeder at first, and now Hughton.

The trouble then comes when the manager has to bring new players in, and drop his old mates. They then feel they've been let down by someone who they put into the job.

It's a tricky decision, but on balance I'd now go for Hughton providing he really wants the job and is prepared to adjust to the new role. I don't think Shearer did himself any favours a few weeks ago before the WBA game, when he talked publicly about the limitations of certain players.

lol... what did he say? anyone got a linky?

"That Butt's fuckin' shite like, thinks he's Maradona..."

So you want a manager that's at least taken a league two side up to league one.  Well let's check out who got promoted to league one last season! nailed on to be good as Guardiola.  O0

The point is we don't know if he is good or not and would rather he proved it elsewhere. It's all very well pointing out Guardiola, i could point out John Barnes. I don't see the point in gambling at this point.

Shearer needs to go be an assistant elsewhere and learn the trade on a more day-to-day basis.  He needs to suck his ego up and learn from a good manager.

He was managed by Bobby Robson, Keegan, Dalglish... I'm sure he learnd some things from them.  Being an assistant in League 1 won't exactly suddenly make him the person ready to take us back to Premiership and beyond.  Not that it wouldn't help, but not to the amount some are suggesting.

When Guadiola managed Barca B, was it part of a plan for him to move up to the firsts, or did he do it for fuck all, impress, and get the job?

Genuine question.

Just can't see Shearer ever taking a bottom league job on jack shit. I'd still give him a bash this season, reckon we'd go up with him and this season would be good experience for him before a crack at the PL.

The point is we don't know if he is good or not and would rather he proved it elsewhere. It's all very well pointing out Guardiola, i could point out John Barnes. I don't see the point in gambling at this point.

So your a no to Shearer for no experience.  Ok, fair enough.  Who do you want as the next manager then that you think we can land?

It's pointless Shearer going anywhere else, absolutely pointless. Say he took over Shrewsbury Town and got them promoted. Is he then all of a sudden proven to be good enough? No, that doesn't suggest he's ready to take us on. It has no long-term benefit for us. He's proven to be good enough for League 2, no more. The same applies if he took over a League 1 club, or a Championship club - and got them promoted. Him succeeding at a lower club will do nothing for us or him if he is going to come here eventually.

Look at Paul Ince for example... Blackburn appointed him cos his name was Paul Ince and he was famous. If an 'unknown' had got the Dons promoted, giving them a Premiership job would have rightfully been regarded as insanity. But it was Paul Ince so it was okay; soon got shown up though, didn't he.

The only place that would benefit Shearer, future Newcastle manager, if he's going elsewhere first, is a Premiership club - or possibly England. And that's not going to happen; no one will take such a punt. So he might aswell bang his fists against his chests and jump in at the deep end at Newcastle.

And if we're going to appoint him, appoint him now (or when the takeover is complete, ideally). The end of December would be an ideal time. The club is fresh, in a good position at the top of the league, and he's free to go in which ever direction he wants.

The only way of seeing if Alan Shearer is good enough for Newcastle United, is giving him the Newcastle United job. So give him it.

It's pointless Shearer going anywhere else, absolutely pointless. Say he took over Shrewsbury Town and got them promoted. Is he then all of a sudden proven to be good enough? No, that doesn't suggest he's ready to take us on. It has no long-term benefit for us. He's proven to be good enough for League 2, no more. The same applies if he took over a League 1 club, or a Championship club - and got them promoted. Him succeeding at a lower club will do nothing for us or him if he is going to come here eventually.

Look at Paul Ince for example... Blackburn appointed him cos his name was Paul Ince and he was famous. If an 'unknown' had got the Dons promoted, giving them a Premiership job would have rightfully been regarded as insanity. But it was Paul Ince so it was okay; soon got shown up though, didn't he.

The only place that would benefit Shearer, future Newcastle manager, if he's going elsewhere first, is a Premiership club - or possibly England. And that's not going to happen; no one will take such a punt. So he might aswell bang his fists against his chests and jump in at the deep end at Newcastle.

And if we're going to appoint him, appoint him now (or when the takeover is complete, ideally). The end of December would be an ideal time. The club is fresh, in a good position at the top of the league, and he's free to go in which ever direction he wants.

The only way of seeing if Alan Shearer is good enough for Newcastle United, is giving him the Newcastle United job. So give him it.

Great post, very much agree.

So your a no to Shearer for no experience.  Ok, fair enough.  Who do you want as the next manager then that you think we can land?

From the available guys probably Strachan. The problem is Shearer will always be in the background, this obsession some have with him and Keegan really is ridiculous.

The sooner Shearer gets his stint and succeeds/fails and fucks off the better for the next man. Now is the perfect time for him to learn as well. I am quite pro-Shearer because I lvoe the bloke he's my child hood hero, I think he would do a reasonable job too. Him and Hughton could strike up something good.

This isnt meant to provoke another of "those" arguments but Kevin Keegan had never managed anywhere prior to taking charge of us.

It shouldn't start another one of "those" arguments, but is a bloody damn good point.

What would be the fucking point in Gordon Strachan coming in, honestly?

I've said throughout the transfer window that we need players for the here and now, cos the immediate target is to get promoted. So if that means 'short term' players like Sol Campbell, for example, get them in - get promoted - and work on a Premiership squad once we've got there.

It works so, so differently from a managerial perspective. I'd say that, in the list of reasons for why we ultimately got relegated, manager-hopping after Bobby got sacked ranks fairly highly up there.

We need to get a manager with a view to them being long-term. The likes of Strachan would probably get us promoted but they're going to do sod all with us in the Premiership. I'd far rather take a punt on someone fresh like Shearer, who doesn't currently have a managerial style or a track record... who doesn't have certain 'achievements' on his CV. Someone new and with the willpower, determination and love for the club to do whatever the hell he wants with it. If Shearer got the backing from the fans and whatever ownership is in place, he's a far better candidate than another old-timer like Gordon Strachan.

The last thing we need is another 'givvuz a job' hasbeen/neverwas like Joe Kinnear.

What would be the f***ing point in Gordon Strachan coming in, honestly?

I've said throughout the transfer window that we need players for the here and now, cos the immediate target is to get promoted. So if that means 'short term' players like Sol Campbell, for example, get them in - get promoted - and work on a Premiership squad once we've got there.

It works so, so differently from a managerial perspective. I'd say that, in the list of reasons for why we ultimately got relegated, manager-hopping after Bobby got sacked ranks fairly highly up there.

We need to get a manager with a view to them being long-term. The likes of Strachan would probably get us promoted but they're going to do sod all with us in the Premiership. I'd far rather take a punt on someone fresh like Shearer, who doesn't currently have a managerial style or a track record... who doesn't have certain 'achievements' on his CV. Someone new and with the willpower, determination and love for the club to do whatever the hell he wants with it. If Shearer got the backing from the fans and whatever ownership is in place, he's a far better candidate than another old-timer like Gordon Strachan.

The last thing we need is another 'givvuz a job' hasbeen/neverwas like Joe Kinnear.

So now you're comparing Strachan to Kinnear? Personally i would compare him to someone like Redknapp who only managed relegation battlers until he went to the Spuds, i think Strachan could do fine with us in the premiership, i see no reason why not.

This isnt meant to provoke another of "those" arguments but Kevin Keegan had never managed anywhere prior to taking charge of us.

Neither had Hughton, you may be onto something.

Difference is though that Hughton didnt actively choose to be in the hot seat therefore the drive and ambition to succeed is different. Any manager who lands in the "Caretaker" role should never take the job on full time.

What would be the fucking point in Gordon Strachan coming in, honestly?

Well if Shearer wasn't an option, would you consider Strachan? - I agree with your points about going for Shearer taking the job now though.  With no management style stigma or CV or known longball/boring tactics style to dog a new managers name before he even gets going maybe a good way of providing a clean slate for the club to move on from.

Spot on.

What would be the f***ing point in Gordon Strachan coming in, honestly?

So now you're comparing Strachan to Kinnear? Personally i would compare him to someone like Redknapp who only managed relegation battlers until he went to the Spuds, i think Strachan could do fine with us in the premiership, i see no reason why not.

I wasn't comparing them, i was throwing them in the same boat. Neither have/had managed a club in the Premiership for several years, and achieved very little when they did do.

What's our long-term target, like? Obviously you can say we ought not to be thinking such things yet, cos we haven't been promoted, but let's assume we do - and there's a very fair chance of that. Is the goal to merely survive for a few years... and then what? I think - with the gash teams that are in the Premiership nowadays - there's no reason to suggest a club like us can't get back into the top ten in England within a couple of years of getting back into the Premiership. Sustaining that progress is another thing, obviously, but we need someone capable of getting us there.

Strachan's track record suggests he's hardly the type to get us on the cusp of fighting for Europe again one day. Both would be a punt (we're dealing with punts btw, cos i can't see us paying off anyone 'proven' to come here), but Shearer is the better one.

Redknapp is hardly a good comparison btw. The situation at Spurs is a tad different to ours. :rolleyes: