Anyone still want Shearer?

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Our target for the next few years is simply to get back in the permiership and stay there, and maybe at some point we will get some money and kick on. Saying Shearer is the better option is just a guess.

Not a totally blind guess.  It's not as if were appointing Ant & Dec to manage the club, Shearer is clearly a respected figure who has worked with excellent managers, done his coaching badges and was a massive leader on the pitch.  These things will help him, doesn't prove he is nailed to do well either, I accept that, but neither is appointing anyone else really is it.

Part of me is very, very pissed off that Shearer will get the job simply because the concensus wants him. It's embarassing tbh. Should Hughton continue to do well, then get demoted to accomodate Shearer, what the hell happens if form drops? Do we sack Shearer then appoint him in 5 years when he's polished his trade elsewhere?  :lol:

Give him the job when it isn't working, by all means, but beforehand would make no sense whatsoever. And I still think he'd play Nicky Butt

Part of me is very, very pissed off that Shearer will get the job simply because the concensus wants him. It's embarassing tbh. Should Hughton continue to do well, then get demoted to accomodate Shearer, what the hell happens if form drops? Do we sack Shearer then appoint him in 5 years when he's polished his trade elsewhere?  :lol:

Give the job when it isn't working, by all means, but beforehand would make no sense whatsoever. And I still think he'd play Nicky Butt

well, my answer will be same as yours if the question was about keeping Hughton (hey I got his name right first time :iamatwat:) and the team form dips? what then?

Playing Devils Advocate, didn't Shearer have a worse record than Kinnear? Statistically that is.

You lads will know better than me whether performances were better under Shearer but he just had bad luck or whatever. Looking at it on paper though... not good.

If I was a fan I think I'd want him to stay away and not risk ending up tarnishing his legend. You seem to be going well with Hughton so why not stick with him? The stability of that alone could be good for the club.

Give the job when it isn't working, by all means, but beforehand would make no sense whatsoever. And I still think he'd play Nicky Butt

well, my answer will be same as yours if the question was about keeping Hughton (hey I got his name right first time :iamatwat:) and the team form dips? what then?

If it isn't working with Hughton then we look at others for the job, including Shearer

Playing Devils Advocate, didn't Shearer have a worse record than Kinnear? Statistically that is.

You lads will know better than me whether performances were better under Shearer but he just had bad luck or whatever. Looking at it on paper though... not good.

If I was a fan I think I'd want him to stay away and not risk ending up tarnishing his legend. You seem to be going well with Hughton so why not stick with him? The stability of that alone could be good for the club.

It was only eight games. If judgements are made from such a small amount of time then Hughton is probably better than Moyes. ;)

Feel very strongly about this, no, absolutely not, the club needs to move away from sentimentalilty and put on some reality glasses, the mere fact that people seem to draw solice from the fact that Keegan managed to acheive so much when he became manager for the first time as a form of retort to those who doubt Shearere says alot about the mentalilty of alot of fans.

If Shearer proves a major success at a number of clubs and turns out to be the real deal in the same sense that Mark Hughes seems to of done then id be more than happy to bring "God" hoime but until then id much rather we do something we've not done sice the appointment of SBR and appointed a manager on footballing merit and pedigeree alone.

If things go wrong then i wouldnt worry about the future of the club so much if we were sacking the likes of Coppell then i would if we were sacking Shearer, NUFC fans have a pedigree of spitting there dummies out.

Personally i think Curbsishley would be an astute appointment.

It was only eight games. If judgements are made from such a small amount of time then Hughton is probably better than Moyes. ;)

He certainly didn't do anything in that time to warrant replacing Hughton at this stage of the season

Shearer wont come back unless Ashley sells some or all of the club. If that does happen, he will be the manager.

Ashley may have realised that if he appointed him full-time, he could never sack him. If Shearer also wanted to chuck his weight around, he wouldnt be able to argue with him, in case Shearer walks. I reckon that was Ashley's conclusion from their post-season meeting.

Give him the job when it isn't working, by all means, but beforehand would make no sense whatsoever. And I still think he'd play Nicky Butt

And I bet you also thought he'd never drop Owen.. :kinnear:

And I bet you also thought he'd never drop Owen.. :kinnear:

he benched him for one game (when fit)

Strachan's track record suggests he's hardly the type to get us on the cusp of fighting for Europe again one day. Both would be a punt (we're dealing with punts btw, cos i can't see us paying off anyone 'proven' to come here), but Shearer is the better one.

How so? Strachan nearly got Southampton into Europe, while Shearer's done fuck all.

Guest sicko2ndbest

I agree with the consensus that the only way shearer will prove hi

self is by managing nufc. I think one of shearers strengths will be his choice of signings. He will be able to get the best we can get based on his name. He has good standing in the game so will have the required contacts to do good business.

Those saying we need to get away from this shearer thing are deluded. It will never happen while he hasn't been given a fair crack

Guest iliketoonarmy

I seriously love this guy, but I don't think it's harsh to call him a incompetent Geordie, at least at this stage.

All the club needs is a manager who has the ability not only leading the team, but also with the experience to bring the best out of a player. I would love to see Shearer being a manager in the club one day, but not now.

Remember we need promotion this year. If we fail then the longer it goes the harder we will get promotion. An extremely crucial year for us, and I don't think Shearer is the answer.

Guest guinness_fiend

I seriously love this guy, but I don't think it's harsh to call him a incompetent Geordie, at least at this stage.

All the club needs is a manager who has the ability not only leading the team, but also with the experience to bring the best out of a player. I would love to see Shearer being a manager in the club one day, but not now.

Remember we need promotion this year. If we fail then the longer it goes the harder we will get promotion. An extremely crucial year for us, and I don't think Shearer is the answer.

Agreed.

I would be pissed if Hughton were replaced by Shearer at this point. If new ownership had come in with a manager, a transfer kitty, and a plan, that would be something else entirely.

Is the correct answer,

so Ashley will probably do the opposite....

anyone for JFK?

I can't help but remember how forlorn and helpless Hughton looked when he was in charge before, he had no idea how to motivate or change tactics. That in a large part was down to the overall mood of the team, they were mostly all miserable unmotivated twats - leading to the lack of teamwork if you like. That all seems to have changed now with a lot of the 'big stars' gone, seems to have led to an improvement in the dressing room and subsequent increase in playing commitment and desire. IF there's any unease in there, (with the Argies and Barton for instance), they keep their other troubles off the pitch and just get on with it. What I'm suggesting is the turnaround in form is as more down to the players (the mood of the camp) than anything Hughton has done, and there's no way in hell I'd give Hughton the job before he'd proved himself going through a really bad run of results and coping with such hiccups as player power etc. A potential Roeder all over again.

Shearer commands respect naturally, he's a born leader. True he doesn't have experience, no more than Hughton, but the Chamionship is a better place to get a season under your belt than the unforgiving Premiership. But does he have to be manager? Of course not, but it seems an ideal time to give him a go imo.

Ashley is only likely to appoint a yes man who just feels privileged to have the job at all and has no power over him. He got his fingers burnt with Keegan. Ashley won't want any big name who asks too many questions, nor will he want to fork out much money as we know all too well.

The idea of giving Hughton the reigns on the back of 5 games is ridiculous though. Our first team on paper right now is among the strongest, if not the strongest in the league. The challenge for any manager will be when our paper thin squad picks up injuries and heads start to drop and Hughton hasn't proven himself whatsoever yet. It's Glenn Roeder all over again, backing a manager on a handful of games is just as bad if not worse than handing the job to Shearer if you ask me. Unlike Hughton, Shearer clearly wanted to become a manager and has the backing of the fans and seemingly the players which would make him a lot less sackable by Ashley, hence greater stability. But that's precisely the reason I think Ashley won't give him the job.

Ultimately Keane wasn't the answer for the mackems but he got them promoted and kept them up there. A lot of the people who say appointing Shearer is mad were probably the same people who thought Keane was an inspired move.