Safely disposing of a PC

Guest toonlass

Guest toonlass

Getting a new pc as my old one is dying a death, but still slightly usable. How do I go about disposing of the old pc so that any info on it cannot be recovered by someone else once it is out of my possession?

Put a power drill through the hard drive a few times.

I wouldn't recommend that. Lord knows what's in the dust it'll kick up. Take out the old HD, unscrew the outer casing, and hang it on the wall. They look cool.

I wouldn't recommend that. Lord knows what's in the dust it'll kick up. Take out the old HD, unscrew the outer casing, and hang it on the wall. They look cool.

There's a rather nice rare-earth magnet in there to play with too.

Oooh! How do I get that out?

Oooh! How do I get that out?

Have a look for it on one of the large platey things. Different hard disks have different ones in different places so it's hard to give a good guide. There's a bit about it in the middle of this article: http://www.dansdata.com/magnets.htm .

if I take the hard drive out and submerge it in water will that fuck it?

There's a good chance. Sugary water would be a better bet. To completely knacker a drive, you need to break the platters inside. For normal folk like us, sugary water, a few twats with a hammer, or just using secure deletion software is more than enough.

Guest Stephen927

Set the hard drive on fire, pour alcohol on it, wait until the fire goes out and it cools down, then snap it over your knee.

Getting a new pc as my old one is dying a death, but still slightly usable. How do I go about disposing of the old pc so that any info on it cannot be recovered by someone else once it is out of my possession?

Format the hard disk either right at startup typing 'format c: /s' (IIRC) think you press 'F5' to get in to DOS.

Or if you've got your windows install disc put that in, let it format itself, then reinstall windows - or switch it off half way through the install (after the format) and there's no chance any data from the previous is going to be found on it.

Or send it to Kezman as a present, surely within a day or so he'll have FUBAR'd it.

Format the hard disk either right at startup typing 'format c: /s' (IIRC) think you press 'F5' to get in to DOS.

Or if you've got your windows install disc put that in, let it format itself, then reinstall windows - or switch it off half way through the install (after the format) and there's no chance any data from the previous is going to be found on it.

Or send it to Kezman as a present, surely within a day or so he'll have FUBAR'd it.

That won't do it: that's just a normal format. A normal format just removes files and directories from the file system index. The data is still on the disk, just harder to find. It will put the disk in an unusable state for you or me, but if you have the right software to recover lost data, it's no big deal.

Software-wise, you need proper secure deletion/file shredding software that actually overwrites every sector of the hard drive. To wipe your boot drive, you'll either need a Linux live CD to boot from or a spare computer to put the disk in.

That won't do it: that's just a normal format. A normal format just removes files and directories from the file system index. The data is still on the disk, just harder to find. It will put the disk in an unusable state for you or me, but if you have the right software to recover lost data, it's no big deal.

Software-wise, you need proper secure deletion/file shredding software that actually overwrites every sector of the hard drive. To wipe your boot drive, you'll either need a Linux live CD to boot from or a spare computer to put the disk in.

Far too much overkill imo. (you've also got to remember who you are offering advice too and not just expect everyone to know how to run deletion progs or especially how to hook up an old HD to a new laptop)

A simple format will do. (especially with a new index written on to it from the new install)

Were talking about computer chancers here (as in scrappies having a look though to see if anyone has bothered to delete), not big massive rings trying to steal data, the software and hardware  (and more importantly time) needed to recover past that is mental, if someone had it and recovered Blef's disk they'd be fuking fuming they wasted their time.

Far too much overkill imo.

A simple format will do. (especially with a new index written on to it from the new install)

Were talking about computer chancers here (as in scrappies having a look though to see if anyone has bothered to delete), not big massive rings trying to steal data, the software and hardware  (and more importantly time) needed to recover past that is mental, if someone had it and recovered Blef's disk they'd be fuking fuming they wasted their time.

Oh, certainly. I wouldn't bother with it myself. I either take the drive apart and hang it on the wall or just reformat it and give it away. If I weren't giving it to a friend, though, I'd "shred" the directories containing my financial stuff and work stuff that isn't mine. Nevertheless, it's worth knowing that format C: doesn't actually delete any files, and they can still be got at, albeit with difficulty.

I will go with the sugary water solution I think. Why would anyone want to hang a hard drive on their wall?

Why the fuck do you want to go to such lengths to protect your data. Face it love, you don't work for NASA, and no-one gives a shit about your mp3 collection. Format the hard drive and put it in the bin. Done.

I will go with the sugary water solution I think. Why would anyone want to hang a hard drive on their wall?

Some of them look really purdy. The platters in a hard drive are more mirrory than any mirror. Open it up and have a look. Quite impressive.

Why the fuck do you want to go to such lengths to protect your data. Face it love, you don't work for NASA, and no-one gives a shit about your mp3 collection. Format the hard drive and put it in the bin. Done.

It's probably easier to take it out and drop it in a bucket if you don't know how to format an HD.

Guest toonlass

How do you know I don't?