Les Ferdinand

relámpago blanco

Aye, he was crap.

I never said he was crap, it just shocked me.

:lol: I know.

I dunno, like a few strikers the more 'instinctive' the chance, the better chance he had of burying it, I think.

Aye, I'm the same. Always missing the easier chances when I have all the time in the world. The harder the chance is, and the more off-balance or awkward my position is, the more guarantee that it'll end up in the back of the net.

I know what you mean about Ferdinand ; although he was 10 times better than anything we have up front now, he DID quite often fluff one-on-ones with the keeper. Perhaps the most costly miss was when Asprilla put him through against Man U at SJP in that fatal game in March 96 when we lost 0-1 after outplaying them for most of the game. As far as I can remember, it was late in the first half and they were hanging on desperately after we had played them off the park and the score was 0-0 - if he had scored then, I reckon they would have folded and we may have won the title that season...as it was, he was psyched out of it by Schmeichel and the rest is history...

He was excellent in the air though and had a great temperament - could hit a ball really well sometimes too(remember his goal at Everton..!??).

He probably stayed at QPR too long(KK wanted to sign him months before we did).

Great player for us but his form in front of goal dropping off after Christmas really cost us in '96. If it had been Shearer in the same positions against Man Utd, that would have been game, set and match as far as the title was concerned.

Great player for us but his form in front of goal dropping off after Christmas really cost us in '96. If it had been Shearer in the same positions against Man Utd, that would have been game, set and match as far as the title was concerned.

Was brilliant for us, but sure something like 80% of his goals in that first season came before the New Year or something close.

Was brilliant for us, but sure something like 80% of his goals in that first season came before the New Year or something close.

do i remember his goals tailing off from the same sort of time as gillespie and albert got long term injuries?

He was never really that great in a one on one situation as I think I have mentioned on here a few times. Good at getting on the end of things and being the first to react though. As in when he didn't have time to think he would usually score.

Still not sure why Asprilla gets a load of stick for us not winning the title that year, same with Batty for some reason who was class when we bought him (IMO). What cost us was the likes of Lee, Ferdinand and Ginola . As in those players who got us into such a great position to start off with but were piss poor in the second half of the season. Ginola lost if after getting sent off, Ferdinand went on a dry spell and in some big games such as the Man Utd one at home, and missing a one on one in the away game as well. Lee also never scored for about 3 months at one point too.

Some people also said it was a mistake for Keegan to buy Shearer the following summer when he should have went all out for a top class centre half. But our defence wasn't really as bad as people made it out to be, and if we'd have had someone as mentally strong and as clinical as Shearer was we'd have won it that year without a doubt. All subjective of course.

My view of Les was that he was a classic English centre forward of the traditional type. Strong, fast and good in the air, but not that skilful. The sort that would be effective in the League but fall a bit short of international class.

I don't remember him missing many chances, but it wouldn't surprise me. I guess we were creating so many at that time that it didn't matter.

My view of Les was that he was a classic English centre forward of the traditional type. Strong, fast and good in the air, but not that skilful. The sort that would be effective in the League but fall a bit short of international class.

I don't remember him missing many chances, but it wouldn't surprise me. I guess we were creating so many at that time that it didn't matter.

Yeah, he missed quite alot of chances but was always dangerous and we've never had anyone as good since before Shearer did his ankle.  He was very dangerous but always got a bit flustered when one on one and always took that extra touch.

• 6 years later...