Project Nighthawk: Stage 2 Initialized

SEMTEX

I'm currently in the planning stage. It will start with a server PC in the loft, which will be accompanied by my ethernet switch.

Just wondering if anyone else has taken on such a project before, and if so, any hints?

Also, I'll be running 1 cable outside, have people used special outdoor ethernet cable for this with all the advised surge protectors and cable protectors?

If no-one has done this, BAH. Maybe I'll just keep this thread for my own personal use, to document the journey.

My old man has run a standard ethernet cable up the side of the house into my room and its fine. He is the king of bodge jobs when it comes to our house though...

Aye I get the feeling it's one of those things that 95% of people will just run normal ethernet cables with no surge protectors or anything, and will be fine. But 'external' cables and surge protectors are available for a reason, and if this is gonna be a big project, I wanna do it properly. hmmhmhmhphphhmm

ta

:lol:

The second I saw your name I was expecting a massive Homeplug rant.

Anyway, I've had a look at that forum, there are bits and bobs about lightning, but they're referencing big masts and things like that. I think I'm best just getting regular cable, hiding it behind gutters/pipes and surrounding it in some form of plastic sheathing.

If anyone knows a cheap place to get...

A 16-port Unmanaged gigabit ethernet switch

A shit ton of 'solid' ethernet cable, Cat5e. 305m seems to be the standard.

3 single wall sockets with faceplaces

5 double wall sockets with faceplaces

A crimpy thing for the end of the cables to into the back of the wall sockets (Punch Down Tool). (or if the wallsockets are 'quick install ones', i'd need a crimper tool and lots of ethernet end bits)

it'd be appreciated.

Feel free to ignore this thread, I'm just gonna use it as a nice record of what I need to do/buy/learn. I'm sure someone will find it useful. One day.

Purchases finalized (but order not placed)

Back Box Double Gang

(BACKBD) 2 £ 0.92

Back Box Single Gang

(BACKBS) 6 £ 0.80

GigaBase CAT5e Bulk Cable, Boxed Reel, 305-m, Grey

(EYN857A-PB-1000) 1 £ 29.99

Face Plate Quad (for four modules)

(FPLADQ) 2 £ 0.69

Face Plate Double (for two modules)

(FPLASD) 6 £ 0.45

(1) CAT5e Econo Patch Panel (JPM111A-R5) + (24) 0.9m Gigabase 350 CAT5e Snagless Patch Cables (EVNSL8X-0001)

(JPM111A-R5-LEAD/BUN) 1 £ 29.99

CAT5e Module

(MODC5E-R2) 20 £ 1.13

Order Value (Ex. VAT): £ 93.30

Shipping: UK Mainland Delivery £ 15.00

Sub Total (Ex. VAT): £ 108.30

Grand Total (Inc. VAT): £ 124.55

NetGear 24x10 / 100 / 1000 Gigabit Switch

In stock now

quicklinx: 34NTQ2

mfr#: GS724TEU

£187.81  inc vat 

I've kind of done this, pretty simple. Drill holes in the wall, push the cable through, fill the hole, repeat.

I'm not having cables coming out of my walls, I'm having wall ports. I'm doing it properly!

Wall ports, you you need to buy some more cable to connect, from the port to the pc...

I've kind of done this, pretty simple. Drill holes in the wall, push the cable through, fill the hole, repeat.

I'm not having cables coming out of my walls, I'm having wall ports. I'm doing it properly!

Wall ports, you you need to buy some more cable to connect, from the port to the pc...

Correct, you do. You also get to have a home that doesn't look like a shithole student house.

powerline adapters not work?

They'd work, but they wouldn't be as good. Just not as fast/reliable/likely to work with my dire home wiring. Stupid modern builders and their fly-by-night..ness.

edit: They would be the sensible option. Which automatically rules them out.