Call of Duty: not so fun when it's real

oldtype

I realize that not a lot of people here know me personally, but just in case Park Ji-Sung comes up in conversation and people wonder why I'm not chiming in... 

All Korean men are required to commit part of their youth to some form of national service, and like all things in life, I decided that if it was worth doing it was worth doing right. A few hours after the Cardiff match I'll be shipping out to some secluded corner in the mountains of southern Korea to begin basic training. If all goes well in four months time, I'll be back out with the rank of lieutenant second class in the Republic of Korea Air Force.

During training I'm expected to remain incommunicado, which means no phone calls, no text messaging, and certainly no Newcastle-Online :no:. Hopefully by the time I get out I'll be a better man, have a diamond insignia on my shoulders, and we'll be top of the league with a new owner. (Honestly I'm kind of looking forward to the peace of mind four months of forced detachment from match-days will give me :lol:)

If any of you have experience in the armed forces, any advice you could give is certainly appreciated. Otherwise, just general comments of support are appreciated as well because after having spent the past four years of my life boozing it up on an American college campus,  to be honest I'm pretty much scared shitless 

:dowie:

All my military friends say the first week or two is the worst. Getting into the routine and the realization that it's real and all that.

Once you get into the routine and the PT, you'll probably end up missing it when it's over.

You flying? If you're flying, you'll probably have that g force test waiting for you. Heard that was some serious shit :lol:

Good luck.

Own up, who else thought this was gonna be a thread about someone going on a murdering rampage with a gun and was then disappointed when it wasn't the case..

But erm.. yeah, good luck with all that.

:snod:

Good Luck Old type, so you will have pretty much no contact with the outside world and thus not having a clue what is going on with NUFC?

Guest lankybellwipe

:clap:

Respect to Oldtype from me. We need this rienstated in Britain! National service would give our hoodies and chavs a reality bite.... or shock, and get society back on track! But I'm guessing 'Liberty' and the rest of the fanny brigade would be having none of it, and go straight to the local parish to argue for a bit!

Guest Stephen927

:clap:

Respect to Oldtype from me. We need this rienstated in Britain! National service would give our hoodies and chavs a reality bite.... or shock, and get society back on track! But I'm guessing 'Liberty' and the rest of the fanny brigade would be having none of it, and go straight to the local parish to argue for a bit!

Hell yeah this is what I'm talking about, it would solve the unemployment issue many face.

Hand them a gun and show them how hard life can be in another country instead of letting them sit on their arses on the dole with no intentions of getting a job.

Joining up was the best thing that ever happened to me and national service should come back into play in Britain, certainly for those without fixed employment

BTW, I still cant get over the fact basic training over there last 4 months, over here it took me 11 months plus another 4 specific to the regiment

Guest Stephen927

Fingers crossed it won't be like Battle Royale mate. :lol:

Good luck. 

If it's anything like Battle Royale 2 I probably won't tune in.

Joining up was the best thing that ever happened to me and national service should come back into play in Britain, certainly for those without fixed employment

BTW, I still cant get over the fact basic training over there last 4 months, over here it took me 11 months plus another 4 specific to the regiment

Well, it's a job for you. I'm basically being forced into it (although to be fair, I chose to go at it longer in exchange for serving as an officer. Grunt work entails just 1 month of basic and a 20 months on base.)

If it makes you feel any better I have two months of specialty training after this. Thankfully, my specialty has nothing to do with flying planes, I wouldn't want to be part of any organization that put me in a pilot's seat :lol:

Thanks to everyone for posting btw!

Own up, who else thought this was gonna be a thread about someone going on a murdering rampage with a gun and was then disappointed when it wasn't the case..

But erm.. yeah, good luck with all that.

:snod:

Good Luck Old type, so you will have pretty much no contact with the outside world and thus not having a clue what is going on with NUFC?

War could break out while I'm in training and I'd still only find out when they start shooting at us. :lol:

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Just remember 90% of the time the things you worry about turn out to be a lot better than you imagined them to be.

Good luck mate :thup:

Aye, losing your legs could be the best thing that ever happens to you. Free bus pass, etc

Guest toonlass

Good luck man. It will be rough, but you will be a better man when you are done. Also, women will throw themselves out you.

Bloody hell, that will be impressive!!!