Selling vinyl

davy_fulla

I've just been having a clearout at home and have stumbled across my old record collection.  My decks are long gone and I'm looking at getting some money towards a new car.  I reckon there's about 200 records altogether - mostly late 90s early 2000s house, prog and trance.  There's a few 80's originals in there (Chicago house/detroit techno) as well which I may keep to one side.

Anyway I'm looking for advice on the best way to sell.  Are there many record shops in town that would buy vinyl of this genre?  Ideally I'd be wanting to sell the whole lot as job lot but do you reckon it would be worth the extra hassle of selling them individually through ebay or a car boot sale if it means some extra coin?

Cheers folks!

Have you still got love in traffic? I'll have that if you've still got it. Mates rates though

Have you still got love in traffic? I'll have that if you've still got it. Mates rates though

Aye, just been sorting through them all and Love in Traffic's there. I'll wait till we've had a few pints tomorra and hopefully fleece ya good and proper :)

Unfortunately mate you couldn't have picked a worse time to get shot of them as the arse has completely fallen out of the vinyl scene.

Ogs used to be the place for the more clued up buyer to get a bargain and Ebay was where the people that didn't know about Discogs bid over the odds for records that they thought they couldn't get elsewhere.

Now Discogs has became more well known, and because it's free to list your sales, all the greedy bastards of the day are listing stuff on there for silly money. So it's full of way over priced records and the buyer has reverted back to open auctions on Ebay.

If listing them on Discogs always view what other people are selling them for and make sure you offer a better price. Personally though I'd go onto someone like http://www.oldskoolanthemz.com/forum/ or list them as a collection on Ebay highlighting what you think are the rarest.

Good luck with your sales :)

Unfortunately mate you couldn't have picked a worse time to get shot of them as the arse has completely fallen out of the vinyl scene.

Ogs used to be the place for the more clued up buyer to get a bargain and Ebay was where the people that didn't know about Discogs bid over the odds for records that they thought they couldn't get elsewhere.

Now Discogs has became more well known, and because it's free to list your sales, all the greedy bastards of the day are listing stuff on there for silly money. So it's full of way over priced records and the buyer has reverted back to open auctions on Ebay.

If listing them on Discogs always view what other people are selling them for and make sure you offer a better price. Personally though I'd go onto someone like http://www.oldskoolanthemz.com/forum/ or list them as a collection on Ebay highlighting what you think are the rarest.

Good luck with your sales :)

Sound advice, appreciate it!  I went through them all yesterday at the same time as checking their values on discogs.  Some of them are worth about a quid while most of them are about a fiver.  There's some rarer and older ones I got off hard to find which are worth about 25 or 30 quid but I honestly don't think I could part with them.  I've got 250 altogether that I would part with but they're not worth what I paid for them.

With discogs does the buyer pay the postage as I don't want to sell a £1 record and pay £2 postage on it?

Did the uni not used to have record fairs or something?