puppy training

lovejoy

right, had my bulldog pup for around 10 days now.

he's 10 weeks old.

basically, im working my balld off to try and get him house trained, seem to spend 90% of my day outside waiting for him to pooh.

here's the hting, he must have about 9/10 shits a day. last night, i took him out and he had 4 shits in about 10 minutes! is this normal?

doesnt matter ho wlong i stand with him and praise him when he has done his business, he wll come indoors and just pee on the carpet or in his crate, never crying or anything to go out.

am i expecting too much too soon with him on the training side to expect him to be nearly there with it after a week and a bit?

and am i feeding him too much for him to turd this often??

how often are you feeding him? (and what..it may be disagreeing with him)

Are you using the same food that he was fed when you had him?

When we trained our pup, we stricly took her outside on the hour, every hour and straight after any play time etc.

NO water after 9pm and always taken out around 11:30pm, she would last until about 6am

THis improved week on week as she learnt bladder control :)

She was soon (within 5 days) waiting by the door to go.

In general dogs should crap as often as you feed them :) obviously there are the odd exceptions to this, but its a good rule of thumb!

how often are you feeding him? (and what..it may be disagreeing with him)

Are you using the same food that he was fed when you had him?

When we trained our pup, we stricly took her outside on the hour, every hour and straight after any play time etc.

NO water after 9pm and always taken out around 11:30pm, she would last until about 6am

THis improved week on week as she learnt bladder control :)

She was soon (within 5 days) waiting by the door to go.

In general dogs should crap as often as you feed them :) obviously there are the odd exceptions to this, but its a good rule of thumb!

within 5 days??

jesus.

i'll try the 9pm rule.

i feed him 3 times a day. nand he is on the same stuff the breeder used. maybe im putting too much in his bowl?

once at 9am, once around 1pm, and then once around 6pm.

mine is nowhere near waiting by the door to go out.

i take him out regularly (although not as regualr as on the hour every hour) but he goes out after every playtime etc.

he then goes out around 11.30pm and its a total lottery by the time i get down in the morning (around 7.30am) as to whether he has wee'd and/or pooh'd in his crate.

what breed is yours spooky? im guessing bulldogs are not the sharpest so may take a tad longer?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Intelligence_of_Dogs

The Intelligence of Dogs is a book on dog intelligence by Stanley Coren, a professor of psychology at the University of British Columbia in Vancouver.[1] Published in 1994, the book explains Coren's theories about the differences in intelligence between different breeds of dogs.[2][3][4]

The author used "understanding of new commands" and "obey first command" as his standards of intelligence. He surveyed dog trainers and compiled this list of dog intelligence. While this method of ordering dog intelligence is acceptable for training and working with dogs, it does not apply to the genetic intelligence which can be measured by ingenuity and understanding of common situations[citation needed]. The drawback of this rating scale is that it is heavily weighted towards obedience (e.g. working or guard dogs) rather than understanding or creativity (e.g. hunting dogs), so some breeds may appear lower on the list due to their stubborn or independent nature, but this nature does not make them unintelligent or impossible to train.

Lowest Degree of Working/Obedience Intelligence

* Understanding of New Commands: 80 to 100 repetitions or more.

* Obey First Command: 25% of the time or worse.

70. Shih Tzu

71. Basset Hound

72. Mastiff / Beagle

73. Pekingese

74. Bloodhound

75. Borzoi

76. Chow Chow

77. Bulldog

78. Basenji

79. Afghan Hound

Third stupidest breed of dog in existence.

It may be a while.

mine is a lab :) so I can't really help with Bulldog specifics :)

just keep at it..it'll work out..and its bloody great when it does!

we've just managed to teach ours (at 5years old) to only go round the back of the new summerhouse on the gravel area, rather than on the new lawn..was quite pleased!

right, had my bulldog pup for around 10 days now.

he's 10 weeks old.

basically, im working my balld off to try and get him house trained, seem to spend 90% of my day outside waiting for him to pooh.

here's the hting, he must have about 9/10 shits a day. last night, i took him out and he had 4 shits in about 10 minutes! is this normal?

doesnt matter ho wlong i stand with him and praise him when he has done his business, he wll come indoors and just pee on the carpet or in his crate, never crying or anything to go out.

am i expecting too much too soon with him on the training side to expect him to be nearly there with it after a week and a bit?

and am i feeding him too much for him to turd this often??

I remember house training my puppy. It was painful for about a month as he didn't seem to learn that he was supposed to piss/shit outside and I was constantly having to monitor him every time he began to sniff at the floor or start to circle and then pick him up and put him outside. After about a month he went over to the door, whimpered wanting to be let out and when I opened the door he ran out and did his business then came back in. Basically it's a long process but they do learn eventually.

also I think every dog is different..

just persevere, it WILL happen one day :)

crates are a good thing, they help with the training :p

soon you forget all the training hassles, and you are rewarded with a bonkers loving animal (well I was..mostly the bonkers part)

Man get the training pads leave them infront of the door you let him out of when you want him to shit/piss, you job is now keep an eye on him close and all times when he looksl ike he is gonna go you have to be quick and get him outside, when he does go be full of praise durring and after. Keep it same words "tolet good boy good boy"  he will get used to this and sharp understand he pee's outside, the pads are for nightime, put them next tot he door as he will leant to use them if he cannot get out of the door.

Night training a cage/crate is a fast way but for me cruel and I don't like the method, all of this run thweir nose in it too is utter rubbish, ALL training us done praise and reward.

Just a young pup so MAKE SURE oyu get tiny treats meant for pups and not older dogs.

The shitting is diet, what food you got him on and how much and how offten are you feeding him?

Eearly thing sto do, take his food away from him whilst he is eatling, last thing you need is a dog protective over his food, let him eat take away priae if no reaction give it him back.

Puppy biting is funny but its not puppy biting for long, do not pull ya hand away if he go's to lay teeth on you he needs a short sharp loud clear "NO" whilst leaving your hand as his mouth, he licks ya hand be full of priase.

"Leave" is the other very importand command, use the same toy for this day by day play and happy "LEAVE"  then play again man these thibgs are so important and will help quick with stopping any chewing things he should'nt.

young dog takes TIME keep it simple, not to mnay different comands in a short time, keeping same word commads is a must though "come" "sit" "stay" "down"

one word with a clear hand signal and I find a click of the  fungers with each commands streses it.

Great advice, that, Skirge.

:D

Marley learnt fast we were lucky, toilet trained in no time, did not chew much at all but leant quick not to, the come back shit took its time like, just got to remember on the field if they wont come back don't fkn chase them  and no matter how pissed off you are and how long it took to get them back DO NOT bollock them you have to smile and give them praise, they came back you tell em off for it its gonna make ya job harder.

Marley's main issue is pulling on the lead, thats the collie in him though he can learn not to do it but the next day pulls like a fkn train again.

His agression is miles better now unless its a dog he don't know and he thinks its gonna nick his ball then all hell break lose, getting nis nutts off was a great thing to do for caling him down and health reasons like.

He is about 18month now and still learning, sit and paw all that shit came instandly near enough, "speak" took a bit longer but does it no bother now, "stay" is not something I have worked on to much but will get aroudn to it.

I always felt bad telling my puppy off, he looked so upset. Well trained now mind, poo's and wee's outdoors and even waits at the door before bed when he wants to go out.

You just have to live with the fact that it's going to be awkward for a while, but it will improve :)  My cockers took about three or four months before they were genuinely sorted.  Important things IMO are keep them in a routine (same number of walks at the same kind of time each day, same with food), praise for doing it outside but no telling off for doing it inside (rather just pick them up and move them outside, although that can result in some comedy shit/piss spray patterns all over your upholstery).

Good luck, and be patient :)  Five days is unbelievably good, I've never know a dog be anywhere close to that.

yeah i have no doubt it was nothing to do with me...

we did have the odd accident (usually our fault..i.e forgetting she'd been in the car for 4 hours and would need to go straight out!) I also suspect that the owner of the mum and pups did some early training..tho quite what you can do before 8 weeks I dunno! :)

anyway as others have said, routine is the key and stick with it..it WILL get better!

my missus wanted to get rid of her at about 10 weeks