Is it just me?

Alberto2005

That thinks football has become incredibly worthless? My enthusiasm for the game has dropped significantly over a period of around 10 years.

Why? Well, I think the pure predictability of the game has become apparent. Where is the Newcastle that broke into the top four without anyone seeing it coming? Where is the underdog that craves to win the historic F.A Cup?

You'll hear numerous fans stating how they'd hate to be a "Man City" Bullshit. Move with the times. This will sound completely negative but hypothetically lets say we got promoted and are once again in the Premier League, then what? What ambition could we possibly have in this league? We'd probably be able to create a squad on a par with an average mid table side, but that's not the problem. The problem is not having a good squad (Doesn't help) But there's no hope, there's no hope of creating a team challenging the higher end of the table in years to come simply because there's not enough finance to penetrate that quality of squad. The ambition has to try and replicate a model such as the one Villa/Everton have assembled, one which needs time and patience, even once this is complete you've got nothing better than a top 6 side at best. You look at the progress you've made and feel you've accomplished all the goals you've set in reaching the top 6, baring in mind the teams above have world class players coming from all areas, then what happens? The teams above you buy your best players because they "want to challenge for trophies". Gareth Barry was probably the biggest example of this, he left a Villa side that had performed consistently two years running to join Manchester City because he realised that they were going to overtake Aston Villa within ONE season, Villa develop a squad worthy of reaching the UEFA Cup and challenging the top four and in one takeover, a couple of transfer windows Manchester City have a squad which is not only better than Aston Villa's but one that could probably match their team using second choice players.

I enjoy watching the Champions League because I believe that still has the same stature but I feel sickened at the rest of the game as it's becoming incredibly boring, predictable and worthless.

The more that money increases the more players will leave clubs frequently to gain other rewards. The whole traditions of clubs will continue to rapidly fade the way football is heading. Football at the moment is like having Messi in a league one squad and not playing him, you've got a brilliant talent and you're completely wasting it. It's the same with football, it's a wonderful sport which is been ruined by the wrong motives. Football will always be here, it's too popular not to but I pray for the sport itself that something changes, and quick.

Sadly, I agree, and I support one of the teams that have come on top these years. But I crave for the times where a well managed team, built from the ground, could go all the way and get trophies. I remember Bilbao in the 1980s in Spain (scarily unbeatable), Red Star winning the European Cup... when travelling away to Anderlecht was a tough fixture, or when you were scared of getting Celtic at home. Dammit, when you just didn't see all the same f***ing teams winning all the f***ing time. It was just more exciting. And it was a beautiful thing to see the hard work of managers, players and fans from other teams being rewarded, instead of dropping bags of money on the table.

And yes, it must suck to support one of the teams feeding off the scraps of the fat cats (which in turn fuels gloryhunting).

The FA Cup is always going to be there for anyone to win. A year and a few months ago we had Cardiff City playing Portsmouth in the FA Cup Final (as a side note, at the start of that season I remember there being a doom & gloom thread or two on this forum with posts of how the trophies were only to be shared by the big four, how the game was pointless now for everyone else, etc etc). The nature of the competition means it's possible to avoid entirely a top four/five team - and even if you do face one, it's possible to beat them on the day.

The league is a different kettle of fish, but I still think an organised, half-decent team under stable management is always within shouting distance of pushing for a top four spot. There are at least a dozen other teams in the Premiership who are either s***/mediocre or average at best, and consistency against those teams coupled with a few decent results against the big boys might be all that's needed to pip someone to fourth spot one day. Everton managed it recently but failed to take advantage of it (knocked out of the CL Qualification stages) whilst Spurs and Villa have looked capable of getting there but have failed at the last few hurdles.

What City are doing (and Chelsea recently) is to spend big on players at the top end of the spectrum, international players who've been stars in the top flight for years. There are still plenty of Beye's and Bassong's out there to snap up, talented gems to unearth, new blood coming through every year, rejects (both established stars and kids) from the filthy rich/CL clubs to consider, so on and so forth. Although it'd be nice to be able to buy the cream of the crop by spending £30m per player, if we're not able to do that anyway then we're still going to have to scout and sign players who are under the radar, and it's here that City/Chelsea/etc haven't made any difference. So although clubs like us can never compete at the top end of the market, I still think the game is just as fun and exciting because of the excitement of signing unknowns, or unearthing gems, or building a good team from the ground up. So for me, there's always going to be hope.

That thinks football has become incredibly worthless? My enthusiasm for the game has dropped significantly over a period of around 10 years.

Why? Well, I think the pure predictability of the game has become apparent. Where is the Newcastle that broke into the top four without anyone seeing it coming? Where is the underdog that craves to win the historic F.A Cup?

You'll hear numerous fans stating how they'd hate to be a "Man City" Bullshit. Move with the times. This will sound completely negative but hypothetically lets say we got promoted and are once again in the Premier League, then what? What ambition could we possibly have in this league? We'd probably be able to create a squad on a par with an average mid table side, but that's not the problem. The problem is not having a good squad (Doesn't help) But there's no hope, there's no hope of creating a team challenging the higher end of the table in years to come simply because there's not enough finance to penetrate that quality of squad. The ambition has to try and replicate a model such as the one Villa/Everton have assembled, one which needs time and patience, even once this is complete you've got nothing better than a top 6 side at best. You look at the progress you've made and feel you've accomplished all the goals you've set in reaching the top 6, baring in mind the teams above have world class players coming from all areas, then what happens? The teams above you buy your best players because they "want to challenge for trophies". Gareth Barry was probably the biggest example of this, he left a Villa side that had performed consistently two years running to join Manchester City because he realised that they were going to overtake Aston Villa within ONE season, Villa develop a squad worthy of reaching the UEFA Cup and challenging the top four and in one takeover, a couple of transfer windows Manchester City have a squad which is not only better than Aston Villa's but one that could probably match their team using second choice players.

I enjoy watching the Champions League because I believe that still has the same stature but I feel sickened at the rest of the game as it's becoming incredibly boring, predictable and worthless.

The more that money increases the more players will leave clubs frequently to gain other rewards. The whole traditions of clubs will continue to rapidly fade the way football is heading. Football at the moment is like having Messi in a league one squad and not playing him, you've got a brilliant talent and you're completely wasting it. It's the same with football, it's a wonderful sport which is been ruined by the wrong motives. Football will always be here, it's too popular not to but I pray for the sport itself that something changes, and quick.

I think you've put into words there what probably thousands of people are thinking.

Cracking post.

Try to view it in a different light Alberto.

Money can't buy everything -

I am as impressed by Mark Hugh's smart buying - he knows exactly who to buy.

I enjoy a superb manager organising a team of rich footballers into a cohesive unbeatable side (Jose Mourinho & Chelsea)

I enjoy watching Alex Ferguson wheeling and dealing, on multi millions scales. His recent track records are scaringly good.

I appreciate Arsene Wenger trying from a different angle, assembling a youthful and promising side while servicing the stadium debt.

I also enjoy watching Rafa Benitez squandering billions of pounds and then complain about lack of money.

I admire what David Moyes has achieved with his steady approach. His recent years transfer record is almost impeccable.

I like how Martin O'Neill trying a different route - focusing (or obsessing) on home based players only, and he delivers respectable results.

I laugh at Spurs, having such a high playing staff turnover and promising so much, yet still to achieve consistent top 6 like Everton.

I enjoy Stoke's approach - trying to build a team out of giants to compensate for lack of guile.

I am impressed by Sam Allardyce "scientific" approach in Bolton, and now in Blackurn.

I find it amusing that Steve Bruce tried to turn Wigan into a Honduras national team. His forage into latin America has proven to be fruitful

I love Robert Martinez' boyous smiles.

I love it when "nobody" Burnley beat Manchester United with a team of nobodies.

There are still many sensible managers out there - trying to outwit and outdo each other.

No cash, so what. Innovation, creativity. Cash guarantees you nothing if you can't back it out with solid merit.

The pasture is still green.

I hate this over-dramatic crap.

I don't disagree with most of the statements made, but at the end of the day, I watched Newcastle splutter to a 1-0 victory against Cardiff City in the second division of English football and I celebrated in the same way as I always have, I watched the exact same sport I always have and loved it. All that external shit was so deeply irrelevent.

And I hate your thread title.

I don't disagree with most of the statements made, but at the end of the day, I watched Newcastle splutter to a 1-0 victory against Cardiff City in the second division of English football and I celebrated in the same way as I always have, I watched the exact same sport I always have and loved it. All that external shit was so deeply irrelevent.

I feel the same, I still love the sport, that wont change.

I don't enjoy club football overall that much at the moment, but I'm enjoying supporting NUFC as much as ever. Haven't watched a premiership game this season yet and I can't see that changing any time soon, I just don't care. I haven't stopped enjoying going to the games though (especially aways) and I can't see that changing any time soon. Good post.

it's not just you. i've stated on here a few times that my interest in football has dipped over roughly the same period. my interest in football apart from NUFC is non existent if you take gambling out.

my opinion of footballers has never been so low.

Good post mate, I find it hard to watch other teams now.  Just my love for NUFC keeps me going.

I've found myself watch MOTD this season and laughing at the shit that goes on in the premier league, what the managers are saying the commentators and pundits responding in turn.

Its a gigantic pile of wank propelled by MONEY.

Saldy, if we do get promoted I can see us slugging it out with the other cloggers in the leaugue and being fodder for the top 4.  Its dull, boring, a change to the format is needed but I cant see the top teams going for it.

Another question would be, if we were a top 4 side in the prem woud we really be having this conversation??

Yep, im another one who now has zero interest in football other than watching NUFC. I couldnt give a fuck who Man U's got Midweek in the CL it just doesnt interest me one bit.

I'd rather have Mike Ashley walk all over me in a pair of high heels than watch a premier league match tbh.

Yep, im another one who now has zero interest in football other than watching NUFC. I couldnt give a f*** who Man U's got Midweek in the CL it just doesnt interest me one bit.

I'd rather have Mike Ashley walk all over me in a pair of high heels than watch a premier league match tbh.

Id pay to watch that, especially if he was naked.

Seriously tho, SSN this morning about Rooney having a tantrum.  They made a massive deal out of it and had the journo on talking about it, so fucking what man.  Stop making big issues out of nothing.

I don't disagree with most of the statements made, but at the end of the day, I watched Newcastle splutter to a 1-0 victory against Cardiff City in the second division of English football and I celebrated in the same way as I always have, I watched the exact same sport I always have and loved it. All that external s*** was so deeply irrelevent.

Right what he says though.

Agree with most of what YOU say too.

You can both be right you know.

I mean it wasn't that long that the rags were ranting against the Scottish League because it was dominated by 2 teams - and it was true. But the occasional team broke the mold. Dundee Utd, Aberdeen. In a much smaller pond to coign Jermaine Jenas....but now "their" teams are winning everything year in year out, it's "good" for the game.

Its unsurprising that so many are just ONLY interested in what our own side does.

And it's NOT good for the game long term.

Guest ItalianMagpie

You may have a point on this one, but I wouldn't forget that even in the past few clubs only could aim to trophies. Maybe a wider range than the current one, but there were still no hopes for the likes of Huddersfield, Norwich, Crewe, Darlington...So what, shouldn't these club have any support (ers)? I think when you support one of these clubs you find your satisfaction in few brilliant runs (Norwich won the League Cup and played in Europe only few years ago) and in playing top football as long as you can.

We ourselves haven't won anything for many years now, but I personally loved to be so close to do it ('96), loved to beat Man Utd 5-0, loved the Bobby Robson Champions' League campaign and the great season we had the year before. Did we really have any chance to win something? Apart from '96, I really don't think so; but I loved to be there and try anyway, like all other medium/small clubs' supporters ;)

Champions League games on last nigth and I watched the Cricket, I am not sure if this is because of us being relegated and it hurts to see where we could/should be, I don't even watch MOTD any more.

Money is killing the game, the FA Cup does not hold the prestige it used to witth he big clubs but if the prize for winning ti was as big as the Champions League it would be the most important thing in out club football. Its all aboutt he money not the glory.

It's an argument thats been had on here many a time but salary cap is the only way forward for the domestic game if we want a truely competetive league.  This will probably hinder English teams in Europe but really who gives a fuck?

What I want is for the Wigans of this world to have as much chance of winning the league as Man U given the right management and coaching of course.

Unfortunately, it is a case of the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer.

I remember when I was a kid and the thought of foreign players in our game was virtually not comtemplated. Smaller lower league clubs were the starting point for future division 1 and international stars. The money these clubs got kept them in existence and the conveyor belt continued.

Now, we have gone totally the other way,. Clubs like your Portsmouths, Burnleys, Stokes Hulls etc are bringing in second, third and fourth class foreigners to the game in england because lower league clubs are asking to much for their best players.

Result is that younger pklayers with potential are not getting a chance whilst second rate rubbish from overseas are given opportunities.

Thye English League needs to get back to grass roots and the latest rulings regarding squad sizes and home grown players should be closely followed by the development of salary caps at clubs.

I can see the european super league happening very soon as well.