The Job Thread

I've got a bit of a dilemma like. Came back from uni and im due to start a standard customer service call centre job on Monday. Other than upload my (bang average) CV to one website I've not even bothered with Grad jobs as of yet. Got a call from an agency about a 'Graduate' PPI complaints handler contracting position for three months. I deliberated but they were pretty persistent with me after i showed interest, passed the aptitude tests and a skype interview, now I've got a proper interview on Wednesday. It's significantly more money than the call centre job but only a 3 month contract although she did say their was opportunity for extension. During the interview she did say it was very 'target based' as well.

Worried about sacking off this call centre job for the contracting job, anything to do with PPI sends 'dodgy as fuck' alarm bells ringing as does heavily target based. The fact they were persistent with me despite my fairly average credentials also does bode well with me. I'd be fuming to leave a job ive got in the bag for a basically sham job.

Sounds a bit dodgy mate, you done a background check on the company and that. Used to be (probably still is) loads of companies in NE advertising sales and marketing jobs which were basically door to door selling that. Company changed it's name all the time.

I've got a bit of a dilemma like. Came back from uni and im due to start a standard customer service call centre job on Monday. Other than upload my (bang average) CV to one website I've not even bothered with Grad jobs as of yet. Got a call from an agency about a 'Graduate' PPI complaints handler contracting position for three months. I deliberated but they were pretty persistent with me after i showed interest, passed the aptitude tests and a skype interview, now I've got a proper interview on Wednesday. It's significantly more money than the call centre job but only a 3 month contract although she did say their was opportunity for extension. During the interview she did say it was very 'target based' as well.

Worried about sacking off this call centre job for the contracting job, anything to do with PPI sends 'dodgy as f***' alarm bells ringing as does heavily target based. The fact they were persistent with me despite my fairly average credentials also does bode well with me. I'd be fuming to leave a job ive got in the bag for a basically sham job.

Take it from someone who is currently in such a field (and has been for the last 2 years), targets are right f***ers.

Sounds a bit dodgy mate, you done a background check on the company and that. Used to be (probably still is) loads of companies in NE advertising sales and marketing jobs which were basically door to door selling that. Company changed it's name all the time.

I got stung by something like this. Job role was 'Trainee Marketing Assistant'; passed the interview, went back for an induction sort of thing and they tried getting me on the metro to South Shields, they were so f***ing mischievous about it as well. I was standing on the metro platform and just had to ask them to be straight up with me after a while and whether it was door to door sales, they said aye so I told them to get f***ed. Really p*ssed me off how misleading and cuntish a company could be.

So I've finished the first week of my new job. I'm convinced it's going to be a great move but this has been one of the dullest weeks of my life.

My manager has been pretty disorganised and has been out of the office a lot. He keeps giving me a PowerPoint presentation to read thinking it will take an entire morning....it takes about 10 minutes. So I've just been sitting there quietly not wanting to be that annoying twat who keeps saying "what can I do?".

He's assured me next week I will start the job properly......we'll see

I've been that disorganised fucker recently, got an apprentice looking at 7000 lines of excel data to fill the void. Poor lad.

:lol: Actually know that feel. Had to train an apprentice in a previous job. My manager didn't seem to grasp the fact there was a limited range of things he could do and frankly should do. It was a daily struggle finding stuff for him to do which could be given the explanation of "oh yeah, it's important. Honest."

Quite what any company is doing recruiting staff for which they have no evident need is beyond me? There must be a reason why they recruited you? Use your initiative to find out. All you're doing there is sitting around in the nest like a chick waiting to be fed. Sort it out.

Meanwhile, I got a new job., closer to home, higher profile, start next month. Delighted. :)

Quite what any company is doing recruiting staff for which they have no evident need is beyond me? There must be a reason why they recruited you? Use your initiative to find out. All you're doing there is sitting around in the nest like a chick waiting to be fed. Sort it out.

Meanwhile, I got a new job., closer to home, higher profile, start next month. Delighted. :)

Well done GM.  Is it still to do with local housing or different?

Congrats GM!

I'm being undervalued to the extreme. I'm training a 3 month first year uni guy - he's getting paid more than me :lol: I have been supposed to move to the next stage up for ages now and they keep redefining roles. I'm doing data tech and analysis stuff whilst training 2 people at points. Still feel they treat me like a uni student.