The Job Thread

35 minutes ago, Dokko said:

Seems like most businesses are using COVID as an excuse to cut staff levels to the bone and expect those who remain to wear several caps or just one giant big one. 

The studio I was made redundant from last year, after working there for 20 years, was made up of 5 of us and a retoucher.

Out of the blue in May, they announced that 2 of us were going - me and another guy, the oldest there - leaving 3.

Then a female colleague also left as she realised they were handling the same volume of work, but with only 3/5 of the staff available. So they were made to work until 10pm every night and most weekends - unpaid, no overtime.

So now there's two colleagues left, and we have heard through the grapevine that they're both looking to get out.

So in effect they will probably hire freelancers to cover the subsequent workload, paying double what it would've cost them in wages just to keep things as they were.

They also 'repaid' the 10% pay cut that the management and executives had 'endured' back to them this January, adding insult to injury.

In a way, I'm glad to be shot of a poorly managed company, but still angry at how they went about it.

2 minutes ago, kingkerouac said:

The studio I was made redundant from last year, after working there for 20 years, was made up of 5 of us and a retoucher.

Out of the blue in May, they announced that 2 of us were going - me and another guy, the oldest there - leaving 3.

Then a female colleague also left as she realised they were handling the same volume of work, but with only 3/5 of the staff available. So they were made to work until 10pm every night and most weekends - unpaid, no overtime.

So now there's two colleagues left, and we have heard through the grapevine that they're both looking to get out.

So in effect they will probably hire freelancers to cover the subsequent workload, paying double what it would've cost them in wages just to keep things as they were.

They also 'repaid' the 10% pay cut that the management and executives had 'endured' back to them this January, adding insult to injury.

In a way, I'm glad to be shot of a poorly managed company, but still angry at how they went about it.

im hearing this all over and experiencing it myself. Glad to be leaving. I’m just not sure whether to jump back in to the rat race and try one last time for a career role, go contracting or semi retire and go part time make ends meet. So sick of the need for money & status and what people will do to get it. 

6 hours ago, Papavasiliou said:

Been looking at jobs so I can move down London the past few months and seeing some adverts and stuff has shown me how my last company was a bunch of dirty sneaky bastards about pay. 

They always had a sort of "Yes we'll promote you but you'll have to prove you can actually do the job first so you'll not get any extra pay till the new year when we look at bonuses/raises/ect" policy. Then every year it would be the same story and there wouldn't be enough money to go around after upper-management had been taken care of so you'd get a token <1% bump or a small bonus. So I went through a few roles there, without really getting more than I was on when I first joined as a call monkey. I was just happy to get off the phones the first time, then happy to be off shifts the second so I convinced myself these were good moves.

But now I look at job adverts for those jobs anywhere else (not just London) and seeing places offer more than double what I was on.

I clocked onto it a little bit in my last role when I noticed the rest of the team were on loads more than me but the company just kept saying there was nothing they could do and the only way I'd be able to get significantly more would be to change jobs. So I did that, and they've been advertising the role I left for more than double. Diiiiiicks

The place I worked at didn't do pay rises. Not even the token yearly 1% rise.

It was always brought up and eventually they gave in and give every one a 1% rise, followed 3 weeks later with the announcement of the closure of the office

We were told at the last AGM that the board wanted to "sweat the assets" we weren't sure at the time but this means do loads more work with the same staff with categorically no financial incentives.

got a pretty cool job with Boro women. Some collab with the men's team so get to meet big neil aha. The lad heading it up was at brentford mens for a bit scouting,

https://middlesbroughwomenfc.co.uk/news/middlesbrough-women-confirm-recruitment-and-scouting-team

got sent their game plan type thing, just how they approach games and sessions and i would be very suprised if bruce had anything close to that.

1 hour ago, ManDoon said:

got a pretty cool job with Boro women. Some collab with the men's team so get to meet big neil aha. The lad heading it up was at brentford mens for a bit scouting,

https://middlesbroughwomenfc.co.uk/news/middlesbrough-women-confirm-recruitment-and-scouting-team

got sent their game plan type thing, just how they approach games and sessions and i would be very suprised if bruce had anything close to that.

Sounds great that, enjoy and good luck in the job mate :smitten:

Recently had a massive career change. Worked in office based/managerial roles for the last 15 years and deep down, I absolutely hated it and myself for doing it. Made the decision to retrain as a joiner at the tender age of 34 in October 2020 and I’ve never been happier. Always loved making things and construction and to finally be immersed in it all is absolutely friggin mint. Still a long way to go but everyday is a new learning experience and I go to sleep every night dog tired and happy as a pig in shit.

5 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

thanks man, looking forward to it, not gonna lie I'd love to meet warnock like. As much as I've disliked him in the past.

I think he’s class personally and given his type of football, he’s done amazing in his career really and Boro are a good club, my boy is at their academy!

The quest to find a job so I can move back to the North East still isn't progressing :lol:

It's so bloody hard, man. Just to even get an email reply from anyone in the whole world.

8 hours ago, BennyBlanco said:

Recently had a massive career change. Worked in office based/managerial roles for the last 15 years and deep down, I absolutely hated it and myself for doing it. Made the decision to retrain as a joiner at the tender age of 34 in October 2020 and I’ve never been happier. Always loved making things and construction and to finally be immersed in it all is absolutely friggin mint. Still a long way to go but everyday is a new learning experience and I go to sleep every night dog tired and happy as a pig in shit.

How did you start that process out of interest?

26 minutes ago, Beren said:

How did you start that process out of interest?

Fell a bit lucky truth be told. A friend owns the joinery firm who was willing to take me on. Once I’d done a bit and decided it was for me long term we looked into adult apprenticeships via partnerships with local colleges. It’s mutually beneficial as he receives financial incentives from the government and other schemes for taking on an adult apprentice and I get my nvq in site joinery which will set me up long term.

I've got a few engineering apprentices that are in their 30s the age barriers got taken down a few years ago, I used to have a lad called Boyd that played for Hartlepool.

IMO older more focused people are an absolute doddle to train.

1 hour ago, Ben said:

I've got a few engineering apprentices that are in their 30s the age barriers got taken down a few years ago, I used to have a lad called Boyd that played for Hartlepool.

Aye that’s pretty much what I’ve heard from the trainers in college. There’s another lad a similar age to me on my day release group, we sit at the front, crack on and go home. 

2 hours ago, Ben said:

Adam Boyd?

12 hours ago, HTT II said:

I think he’s class personally and given his type of football, he’s done amazing in his career really and Boro are a good club, my boy is at their academy!

Thought your lad was at the mackems

2 hours ago, BennyBlanco said:

Aye that’s pretty much what I’ve heard from the trainers in college. There’s another lad a similar age to me on my day release group, we sit at the front, crack on and go home. 

Same at Uni. 'Mature students' on the whole always get higher classifications than school leaver equivs.

• 2 weeks later...

Just completed a 2 day Ofsted, full Section 5 with 4 inspectors looking into everything. Absolutely frazzled now like but think it's gone ok. 

Got the call Tuesday lunch, in the building 8am the following day :neutral:

Currently torn between looking for something new (saying that I have just applied for something, then noticed mistakes on my CV ffs) and holding out the for inevitable redundancy and payout that comes with it. 

I have savings and my outgoings are relatively low so being made redundant wouldn't be the end of the world, but I know how easier it is to find a job whilst still in work. 

Anddddd, I've bagged an interview for that job. It's scheduled for Wednesday so just the one night of anxiety before deciding whether or not to go for it.