The Job Thread

Just now, Minhosa said:

It's more whether he's bothered about earnings.

If they are a big motivational factor then he'd be advised to make this work because his alternatives look pretty bleak in terms of a financial reduction.

If this is not a driver (i.e: he's not money motivated/arsed) then why bother with the stress?

That's the point I'm making.

Or he could go find a better job, make more money and not be treated like shit?

2 minutes ago, loki679 said:

Or he could go find a better job, make more money and not be treated like shit?

Absolutely Wolfie.

Edited by Minhosa

My mate runs an office fitting company, his lads do insane hours (good pay mind) and my mate used to do shop fitting a few years back, again insane hours but decent wages. Try and tough it out Tgarve if you can mate.

Just now, HTT II said:

My mate runs an office fitting company, his lads do insane hours (good pay mind) and my mate used to do shop fitting a few years back, again insane hours but decent wages. Try and tough it out Tgarve if you can mate.

Yep, I mentioned this earlier, they do crazy hours in that world, very tight deadlines for opening etc but good opportunities for people that enjoy the pressure.

I employed a guy from that world years ago and our stuff was just too slow for him. He just had to be pushed/buzzing about and under pressure.

8 minutes ago, Minhosa said:

Yep, I mentioned this earlier, they do crazy hours in that world, very tight deadlines for opening etc but good opportunities for people that enjoy the pressure.

I employed a guy from that world years ago and our stuff was just too slow for him. He just had to be pushed/buzzing about and under pressure.

Aye mate, my friend reckons if he keeps going at this rate for the next decade he will be able to retire, he’s on very very good money but puts in the hours. Seriously, I run my own company and even on my days off, I’m still working, answering calls, sorting invoices, emails, hotels for the lads and other shit and it starts at 7.00am to 9.00pm some days, just got to do it, mind I couldn’t work 16 hour shifts for someone else…

3 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Aye mate, my friend reckons if he keeps going at this rate for the next decade he will be able to retire, he’s on very very good money but puts in the hours. Seriously, I run my own company and even on my days off, I’m still working, answering calls, sorting invoices, emails, hotels for the lads and other shit and it starts at 7.00am to 9.00pm some days, just got to do it, mind I couldn’t work 16 hour shifts for someone else…

No but could you do it for six weeks if it meant you earned £14k per year more than your alternative employment for the next few years?

I know what I'd be doing...............

Edited by Minhosa

1 minute ago, Minhosa said:

No but could you do it for six weeks if it meant you earned £14k per year more than your alternative employment for the next five years?

I know what I'd be doing...............

I don’t get out of bed for that man…

Nah, in all seriousness it depends, mental health and well being is so important, this last year and a half running a business which has given me everything has had me questioning is it all worth it and wondering whether I’d even be better off on the dole (not), so I can see Tgarve’s point, but me personally, I’d stick at it and try and make a success of it and use it to my credit as you alluded to - starting a successful start up venture and making it work. Don’t envy anyone at all in any work place right now though, self employed or not. 

2 hours ago, Beren said:

Assuming the 16 hour-days continue, and allowing for five weeks of annual leave, I make that out to be £9.04 per hour. Just a hair over the National Living Wage.

2 hours ago, Si said:

Minosha if the business can't make a profit without staff working 16 hour days it shouldn't be trading. It's bullshit to expect that over a sustained period of time (weeks) and like Beren pointed out its bringing down his salary for every hour extra he works.

It's not making profit because it's not trading because it's not open yet. The sooner it gets open the sooner it trades the sooner it is profitable.

Just now, Happinesstan said:

It's not making profit because it's not trading because it's not open yet. The sooner it gets open the sooner it trades the sooner it is profitable.

It's part of a company the company has to budget and plan for growth i.e opening a new location. If that plan is working people like cunts then it's not sustainable or there should be a compensation plan in place for example more time off when open or a financial benefit.

If someone says it's going to be long days and hard work I would expect it to be twice the standard working day 5 or more days a week.

44 minutes ago, Si said:

Point made but it's not right is it?

Mmm. It's not sustainable, but that's the crux of the discussion, if it's only for 6 weeks then it doesn't need to be sustainable. And nobody knows if it is expected to be. 

On the surface [just from the one-sided argument I have to go on] it sounds like somebody who has made a big mistake, but I would still suggest making the most of it.

Thank you for all the points of views guys -

In my opinion the expectations are too much from a work life balance point of view - 

The bar is still trading just in a temporary location- 

I wasn’t fully made aware of the fact I was starting from 0 in terms of the rebuilding of a full team,

The salary is good and the opportunity great also so that balanced with being a slave to the regime is a tough balance 

4 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

Mmm. It's not sustainable, but that's the crux of the discussion, if it's only for 6 weeks then it doesn't need to be sustainable. And nobody knows if it is expected to be. 

On the surface [just from the one-sided argument I have to go on] it sounds like somebody who has made a big mistake, but I would still suggest making the most of it.

That’s sort of how I feel

Though again I’m not naive to the struggles of the industry right now 

54 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

I didn't ask if it's sustainable I asked if it's right?

50 minutes ago, tgarve said:

Thank you for all the points of views guys -

In my opinion the expectations are too much from a work life balance point of view - 

The bar is still trading just in a temporary location- 

I wasn’t fully made aware of the fact I was starting from 0 in terms of the rebuilding of a full team,

The salary is good and the opportunity great also so that balanced with being a slave to the regime is a tough balance 

Do what's best for you mate but take the time to assess your options and if you choose to bail have an escape route. Keep talking if you need to, sorry we got sucked into a daft debate about your situation.

No offence to anyone but £34k ain't the kind of money anyone should be accepting to have the absolute piss taken out of them with the expectation of 6 weeks of sixteen hour days, ridiculous pressure and what sounds like a total lack of support. And breaking the argument down to "Well it's either that or a £20k job" is reductive and probably false. 

We're all in different positions career-wise, finance-wise, whatever, but if an employer showed me that sort of lack of respect I'd be showing it right back to them and telling them where to go. There are other jobs about that will pay you reasonably and treat you well as an employee. 

2 minutes ago, Interpolic said:

No offence to anyone but £34k ain't the kind of money anyone should be accepting to have the absolute piss taken out of them with the expectation of 6 weeks of sixteen hour days, ridiculous pressure and what sounds like a total lack of support. And breaking the argument down to "Well it's either that or a £20k job" is reductive and probably false. 

We're all in different positions career-wise, finance-wise, whatever, but if an employer showed me that sort of lack of respect I'd be showing it right back to them and telling them where to go. There are other jobs about that will pay you reasonably and treat you well as an employee. 

Aye I was wondering about this quoted salary. Seems like a fucking shit salary for that kind of work :lol:  

1 minute ago, Happinesstan said:

No. You stated that it was unsustainable.

I said in the quoted post "point made but it's not right is it?" Not going to debate anymore as we're not adding anything to the conversation. We'll have to agree to disagree about a 16 hour working day.

Just now, Si said:

I said in the quoted post "point made but it's not right is it?" Not going to debate anymore as we're not adding anything to the conversation. We'll have to agree to disagree about a 16 hour working day.

Agree to agree. you said it was unsustainable, I agreed, but also pointed out that it doesn't need to be.