The Job Thread

2 hours ago, Interpolic said:

No offence to anyone but £34k ain't the kind of money anyone should be accepting to have the absolute piss taken out of them with the expectation of 6 weeks of sixteen hour days, ridiculous pressure and what sounds like a total lack of support. And breaking the argument down to "Well it's either that or a £20k job" is reductive and probably false. 

We're all in different positions career-wise, finance-wise, whatever, but if an employer showed me that sort of lack of respect I'd be showing it right back to them and telling them where to go. There are other jobs about that will pay you reasonably and treat you well as an employee. 

this is sort of my feelings 

• 2 weeks later...

Got a quick £50 video scouting job today, I'm pretty stoked as I don't need to go anywhere, and it's on Forest, who I watched yesterday anyway.  And I get to use inSTAT which is class. Feels like things are starting to pick up again with scouting, I'm gonna grind my dick off to try and get somwhere permanent this season.

54 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Got a quick £50 video scouting job today, I'm pretty stoked as I don't need to go anywhere, and it's on Forest, who I watched yesterday anyway.  And I get to use inSTAT which is class. Feels like things are starting to pick up again with scouting, I'm gonna grind my dick off to try and get somwhere permanent this season.

You added on football manager yet?

On 28/07/2021 at 21:45, SEMTEX said:

Aye I was wondering about this quoted salary. Seems like a fucking shit salary for that kind of work :lol:  

As an update to my work new job crisis :-

I was away for a weekend the week before last -  still had a load of work to do came back on the Sunday night sat down to do it and couldn’t as my stress levels had reached to top …

Couldn’t sleep all night was due to be in at 530 am and emailed the person on duty to say I couldn’t come in as stressed and left it at that 

next day had 8 phone calls off work- and my old HR manager also… didn’t answer them as was in and out of sleep and nearing break down point.

I emailed HR explaining I didn’t want to have phone calls and how ill I was and that I didn’t want other people to know also .

she then texted me offering me a taxi up to Newcastle which I declined -

ive been u able to get a GP appointment in person as it’s currently 2 weeks to see someone so my old practise has them ringing me tomorrow-

I'm effectively off unauthorised now this week and hopefully can get a backdated sick note.

literally feel a lot better after escaping the madness of these 14 hour shifts and my sleep has returned a bit though I’m just not sure if I can return to this toxic work culture and it’s affecting my mental health too much

will have a call with HR after my appointment tomorrow 

(not for me) 

If you've been offered a job at a new company, but they offer a bit less money than your current wage, am I right in thinking it's not unheard of/totally inappropriate to ask if there's any chance of trying to match said current wage? 

40 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

(not for me) 

If you've been offered a job at a new company, but they offer a bit less money than your current wage, am I right in thinking it's not unheard of/totally inappropriate to ask if there's any chance of trying to match said current wage? 

Definitely. 

In a cruel twist of fate, my decision to move back to the North East after 5 disappointing years in London has been followed by a job offer that requires me to do regular Saturday shifts down at Stockley Park.

Has anyone tried flying from Newcastle to Heathrow? How quick & easy is it if you're without luggage?

I'm wondering if booking flights well in advance that won't require an overnight stay may end up cheaper than the train/hotel alternative.

46 minutes ago, Ketsbaia said:

In a cruel twist of fate, my decision to move back to the North East after 5 disappointing years in London has been followed by a job offer that requires me to do regular Saturday shifts down at Stockley Park.

Has anyone tried flying from Newcastle to Heathrow? How quick & easy is it if you're without luggage?

I'm wondering if booking flights well in advance that won't require an overnight stay may end up cheaper than the train/hotel alternative.

Done that flight a few times and yeah without luggage its really quick and straight forward, there's only really the standard security before departures that could really cause any hanging about. If I miss out on cheap train deals, it would be my go to way of going back and forth between Newcastle/London.  

1 hour ago, Ketsbaia said:

VAR?

I know I'm like half a month late, but regarding the 16 hour work days - isn't overtime pay a thing in the UK? In good old Norway, you're not allowed to have an employee stay longer than eight hours without paying overtime no matter if the job is cleaning the toilets on a building site or being a coked up stockbroker. Just asking as I couldn't properly grasp the situation as it seemed so alien to me.

Essentially, if I got paid overtime I'd have no issue with 16 hour days for a period of crunch. However, if they didn't pay overtime, I'd probably reconsider as it would feel like exploitation at that point given that they should have known there would be crunch. All that said, if I had a conversation with the company prior to accepting the job and they said there'd be a period of crunch days that wouldn't pay overtime but I'd get great experience/position myself better at the company by doing, I'd also consider it. All in all it's just about both parties getting something from it and not just one.

I have to pay a shitload of people OT in October and I know this going in. I could probably hire people to come in and do an 8 hour shift after the first shift ends, but then you'd be alternating DoPs and hairstylists and it would just be a mess so everyone involved knows what is about to go down. It's just for 7 days though.

Edited by Kaizero

Thing is, they just assume if you want to keep your job you'll do unpaid overtime. 'Everyone else does.' If you don't, well, make sure you get everything done in working hours, it's your own lazy fault if you don't. [emoji38] Fuck that.

On 19/08/2021 at 06:16, Kaizero said:

I know I'm like half a month late, but regarding the 16 hour work days - isn't overtime pay a thing in the UK? In good old Norway, you're not allowed to have an employee stay longer than eight hours without paying overtime no matter if the job is cleaning the toilets on a building site or being a coked up stockbroker. Just asking as I couldn't properly grasp the situation as it seemed so alien to me.

Essentially, if I got paid overtime I'd have no issue with 16 hour days for a period of crunch. However, if they didn't pay overtime, I'd probably reconsider as it would feel like exploitation at that point given that they should have known there would be crunch. All that said, if I had a conversation with the company prior to accepting the job and they said there'd be a period of crunch days that wouldn't pay overtime but I'd get great experience/position myself better at the company by doing, I'd also consider it. All in all it's just about both parties getting something from it and not just one.

I have to pay a shitload of people OT in October and I know this going in. I could probably hire people to come in and do an 8 hour shift after the first shift ends, but then you'd be alternating DoPs and hairstylists and it would just be a mess so everyone involved knows what is about to go down. It's just for 7 days though.

As a general rule of thumb over here people on an hourly rate will get paid overtime, but salaried employees won’t. In the case of the latter most contracts will include a clause along the lines of ‘standard hours are x, but you are required to work the hours necessary to complete your duties, overtime hours not paid’.

3 minutes ago, Anderson said:

As a general rule of thumb over here people on an hourly rate will get paid overtime, but salaried employees won’t. In the case of the latter most contracts will include a clause along the lines of ‘standard hours are x, but you are required to work the hours necessary to complete your duties, overtime hours not paid’.

Depends on the line of business/employer etc. If I work 1 min over I get paid for it and in most cases I can tell them to sod off if I don't want to do it

7 hours ago, madras said:

Depends on the line of business/employer etc. If I work 1 min over I get paid for it and in most cases I can tell them to sod off if I don't want to do it

This.

7 hours ago, madras said:

i don’t get paid a penny extra for overtime, bank holidays, getting called in, etc. That’s why some more junior people earn more than me. 

the think I can’t get my head round though is how years ago someone agreed to people doing the first half hour of any overtime for the queen (for nowt) for some reason 

Office based roles are highly unlikely to have overtime rates for extra hours worked(I get days off), however for those who work in factories etc then overtime rates are common still from what I know 

53 minutes ago, neesy111 said:

How's the IT job going @Troll

It's basically all meetings.

10 minutes ago, neesy111 said:

Office based roles are highly unlikely to have overtime rates for extra hours worked(I get days off), however for those who work in factories etc then overtime rates are common still from what I know 

Everyone in the NHS gets overtime up until a certain salary point.  I just crossed that point, and suddenly I'm working an extra 10 hours a week that they don't have to pay me for.