Politics - A question pse

Howaythelads

I expect there are some young people from different parts of the UK reading this forum who may have the opportunity to vote for the first time at the next General Election.

While acknowledging how people vote is a private thing, I was wondering if anyone is at least thinking of voting against Labour primarily on the basis of just fancying a change. Alternatively, perhaps some people won't bother voting at all even if it's their first chance to do so...politicians don't exactly have a lot of credibility.

I'm interested in reading the comment specifically of the younger people on this one, though auld bastards can reply if they wish. Women are even allowed anarl. ;D

There isn't a party I cannot pick a flaw with, and I know who ever comes in will end up with a shit policy that will tarnish their reputation to some extent.  If I remember to vote, I will vote labour - not for any particular reason other then its going to be labour or conservatives and I have been brought up knowing from parents/grandparents about Thatcher years and how they would never vote conservatives again due to that.

tough one for me as i probably agree more with the lib dems. i'd vote labour to keep the tories out but think none of the options are worthy of my vote. (as i've said before i've never voted "for" only "against"). may be another spoiled ballot for me.

Guest toonlass

I reckon that there is an apathy that runs through the public. A lot of people are with-holding their vote, not for any real political reason, just because they cannot be bothered. I was brought up in a labour voting family, but elections have become harder for me personally. I am not prepared to blindly follow the political views of my parents, and despite living in a labour stronghold area (blyth) I don't consider not voting. But as Mattynufc said there is not one political party that totally fit with my views. But unlike Matty I think that new labour is as conservative as any conservative party. Labour and the Conservatives are so centrally based now, there is no left or right in mainstream politics anymore, without voting for a loony party like the BNP.

I reckon that there is an apathy that runs through the public. A lot of people are with-holding their vote, not for any real political reason, just because they cannot be bothered. I was brought up in a labour voting family, but elections have become harder for me personally. I am not prepared to blindly follow the political views of my parents, and despite living in a labour stronghold area (blyth) I don't consider not voting. But as Mattynufc said there is not one political party that totally fit with my views. But unlike Matty I think that new labour is as conservative as any conservative party. Labour and the Conservatives are so centrally based now, there is no left or right in mainstream politics anymore, without voting for a loony party like the BNP.

The Lib Dems are pretty much left of Labour now, though they do have a number of neo-liberal financial types in the party.

The Greens are the only left-of-centre party that aren't completely barking, but there's almost no chance of them getting even a single MP unless the entire voting system is changed.  They do get a decent number of votes hence why they do well in the Euro elections where there's a proportional representation system but they don't get enough votes in each individual constituency to win seats in the UK parliament.

I think it is unhealthy for any party to be in power for too long, it seems to go stale, or at least that is how it has seemed in my lifetime. The Tories won't be able to do much damage in five years, and it will give Labour the opportunity to regroup and get back into shape again.

I think it is unhealthy for any party to be in power for too long, it seems to go stale, or at least that is how it has seemed in my lifetime. The Tories won't be able to do much damage in five years, and it will give Labour the opportunity to regroup and get back into shape again.

Oh, yeah? :lol: :laugh2:

Do you know what annoys me?

Okay, do you know one of the many things that annoys me?

People moaning about the Tories and Labour being the same and there being no choice in British politics, and in their next breath (sentence) saying that the choice is Labour, Tories or not voting at all!! If you want things to change then you should be voting Lib-Dem. If everyone who says "I'd vote Lib-Dem, but..." actually did it then they'd become at least a strong third-party with genuine influence if not more, perhaps they'd even be in a position to hold the balance of power in a hung parliament. Even voting for one of the small parties is better than not voting at all, but if you want change you've got to vote for it, otherwise it's never going to happen. The only reason we've got a de-facto two-party state is because most people only ever vote for two of the parties available, the power is in your hands, if you refuse to use it then don't fucking complain about what happens.

I used to think that not voting was a valid protest, but I've realise that it's anything but. All that happens is you get lumped in with all the people who are too thick or too lazy to get off their arses and put a cross on a bit of paper. No-one knows what your protesting about, no-one knows what you want done about it, no-one knows that you're even fucking protesting, and what's more no-one gives a shit. You're "protesting" by doing absolutely nothing whatsoever, and if you do nothing, you get nothing. Bet the authorities wish that everyone "protested" like that, "I know let's organise a massive stay-at-home-and-carry-on-with-our-lives-exactly-as-we-always-do protest! That'll get results!!" :lol: Jesus, even the knuckle-dragging mongs of the BNP and EDL, etc, have grasped this concept, how is it so hard for supposedly intelligent people to do the same!?!

If you don't like the current duopoly in UK politics then vote Lib-Dem, even if that's the only reason you do so. Seems like a pretty good reason to vote for someone, much better than any of the supposed "reasons" you'll see in the various parties' manifestos.

All three main parties are vying to outdo each other promising spending cuts left, right and centre...

...total fucking madness. None of the actually get it, do they? We don't want to see public spending cut per se, I certainly don't. I just want a credible guarantee that public funds will be managed wisely, honestly and sensibly.

:rolleyes:

Well i'm 21 if that counts.

As I see it, the torries are just spouting shit as always, and things will go to total shit if they win, lib dems are never going to win, so total waste of a vote. Labour aren't amazing, and Mr Brown has a shit public image, but given the choices they win.

Also David Cameron is a total prick.

Well i'm 21 if that counts.

As I see it, the torries are just spouting shit as always, and things will go to total shit if they win, lib dems are never going to win, so total waste of a vote. Labour aren't amazing, and Mr Brown has a shit public image, but given the choices they win.

Also David Cameron is a total prick.

Get him Indi!

19, voted Tory in EU, will vote for them again in 2010.

Do you mind me asking why you vote Tory? Young people who vote for right wing parties are a mystery to me. And I don't say that in an offensive manner. I'm simply curious about why anyone under 40 would vote for a conservative. Maybe there's something appealing about them that I don't see.

Im I the only one who cant trust any of the "main" political parties? As a young lad I assume there are many of my kind, but the majority being immature fuck heads in uni who dont even know why they have their political opinion. I have my opinion on UK politics and VERY strong opinions on Irish politics. One of my main problems is falling under the bracket of "student".

This whole "fancy a change" attitude fucking sickens me tbh. 1 because it is ludicrous and weak as fuck and 2 because it seems to be the way forward for a lot of narrow minded idiots (voters).

All three main parties are vying to outdo each other promising spending cuts left, right and centre...

...total fucking madness. None of the actually get it, do they? We don't want to see public spending cut per se, I certainly don't. I just want a credible guarantee that public funds will be managed wisely, honestly and sensibly.

:rolleyes:

Too many pigs at the trough for that I'm afraid.