Guest smoggeordie

Guest Invicta_Toon

50% of the board never get to a match

aye and they are clueless!!!

it's the 50% that want to give Luque a game tbh.  blueyes.gif

Guest the_guv_nor

aye and they are clueless!!!

sorry just thought about what you meant!

i was thinking of the NUFC board, as in the chairman etc

Including yourself. 

Going to a match does not give your opinion more weight.  There's a lot of clueless people that go to football matches.  It's your knowledge of the game that's the most important, and at times being at the game can help.  But then, seeing countless replays of something on the TV can also be advantageous at times. 

But to the question as it is put, no, it does not.  It's the person spouting the opinion that matters.

Guest Invicta_Toon

Including yourself. 

I get to games

where were you for Sheff Utd? as easy for you to have gone than for me

So the question, "does going to the match give your opinion more weight than those who don't" really means "what percentage of the board membership go to the match"

And you reckon threads turn to shite when I post in them.....  :roll:

bluebiggrin.gif bluebiggrin.gif

Guest Invicta_Toon

So the question, "does going to the match give your opinion more weight than those who don't" really means "what's the percent of the board membership who go to the match"

just pointing out how many noses might be put out of joint if the thread went a certain way

see it was a point RELATED to the subject of the post, something you never quite grasp

Guest Invicta_Toon

I was in Glasgow counting my pennies.  But I've been down this season, and there's no way me being there made my opinion any more valid than someone who might've seen it on TV. 

as have I...

and I'm pretty sure 90 mins would be a bit of a better base than 3 minutes tbh.

I was in Glasgow counting my pennies.  But I've been down this season, and there's no way me being there made my opinion any more valid than someone who might've seen it on TV. 

as have I...

Who mentioned anything about how much of the match anyone has seen? I think the question is whether people who see the game in person have a more valid opinion than those who see the game by other means.

In any case, both watching live and watching on TV have their advantages and disadvantages. I wouldn't say either was superior in terms of forming opinions.

Obviously people who spend their hard-earned cash on going and supporting the team in person deserve a certain degree of respect, but that's not possible for many people, even if they wanted to do so.

as have I...

My comparison wasn't with highlights, which you know fine well.  If someone watches the game in full on TV, then they're in just as good a position to pass judgement.  The only problem with TV is that people's opinions are often formed by the commentators rather than themselves. 

So the question, "does going to the match give your opinion more weight than those who don't" really means "what's the percent of the board membership who go to the match"

just pointing out how many noses might be put out of joint if the thread went a certain way

see it was a point RELATED to the subject of the post, something you never quite grasp

But but but....so are all of my posts. I'm gutted that you don't have the capacity to understand them.

bluelaugh.gif

Guest Gemmill

When you consider how few matches are shown on TV, someone going to, say, all of the home games in a season would have a better idea about things than someone who is only able to watch on TV and would therefore be better positioned to comment on some matters.  For an individual game that was on TV, the opinions would be of similar weight.

And I don't want to hear anyone sitting abroad try and argue with me on this, cos I'm right.  OK?  So don't even try it on.

Guest Gemmill

By the way, by going to the match, I am better positioned to comment on Martins' movement than someone that wasn't there.  And believe me, his movement is dire.

When you consider how few matches are shown on TV, someone going to, say, all of the home games in a season would have a better idea about things than someone who is only able to watch on TV and would therefore be better positioned to comment on some matters.  For an individual game that was on TV, the opinions would be of similar weight.

And I don't want to hear anyone sitting abroad try and argue with me on this, cos I'm right.  OK?  So don't even try it on.

I'd agree with that, to be fair.  But most games can be watched these days. 

In my case no, I go to every home game cup and league but I find it much better to see what has gone on durring a game if I watch on tv.

I go to the match becuase its about being there to sing for my team, loving the atmosphere and supporting the lads.

I don't know what its like for thsoe at the match that can see whats going on but at least with tv you have an action replay.

But radio is another story altogether, its near on impossibble to gte a decent opinion of a game if you have only had the radio on.

...give your opinion more weight than those who don't?

Discuss

No.  I remember the Charlton game when DUff went clean through and went down.  Replays showed that he apparently wasn't fouled.  Everyone at the game was 110% certain that it was a red card for the defender.  You see replays on tele and get to look at things from different angles.  Being at the game allows you to see one incident from sometimes an obscure angle and obviously without replays.  Although however you do get to follow a players every movement and see lots of other little things.

It depends on what the opinion is, Gemmill makes a good point in regards to player movement. The camera follows the ball so you don't always see's the runs (or lack of that a player makes) but if you were at the game you would pick this up.

Also works in the sense that with the camera views closer to the action people watching at home will see certain things better than someone at the ground.

Discuss

No.  I remember the Charlton game when DUff went clean through and went down.  Replays showed that he apparently wasn't fouled.  Everyone at the game was 110% certain that it was a red card for the defender.  You see replays on tele and get to look at things from different angles.  Being at the game allows you to see one incident from sometimes an obscure angle and obviously without replays.  Although however you do get to follow a players every movement and see lots of other little things.

I don't think the thread is about isolated incidents, it's more to do with general observations over a period of time that form the basis of an opinion about a player, for example.

Discuss

I don't think the thread is about isolated incidents, it's more to do with general observations over a period of time that form the basis of an opinion about a player, for example.

True.  Hate it when someone has an opinion of a player purely based on what one of the 'experts' perceive them to be.  But over a period of time, going to every game would give you a huge insight into how good a player actually is, as oppose to watching a 5 minute hightlight show which shows them playing a pass or missing a chance.

Guest clarkyshan

i'm a season ticket holder. i'd say you can judge better by watching a game on tv. over an amount of time.

with the majority being on tv these days.( hence gates)

but nothing says i support nufc like having a season ticket and gives weight to any arguement involving them!