Digital Camera recommendations

Leazes1986

I'm considering getting wor lass a digital camera at that time of year in December but I need some help due to not having a clue about them. I don't want to get her a shit budget one because she likes her photography and she has been after one for a while so I'd rather get her a good one. Can anyone point me in the right direction of a good one which I can get for less than £200?

I'm currently waiting on delivery of a Samsung R10 camcorder. It also takes still pictures. It is designed with a downwards facing lense, which allows users to hold the camera in a more natural position, resulting in not needing a strap. Expect to pay between £250-£350 for one though.

Great reviews on it mind, maybe worth a punt? 2 things for the price of one.

Are you after a point and shooter or something that will give you better shots.  Have a look at some of the Fuji's you can get them dirt cheap nowdays and they take great pictures. (so my colleagues tell me)

Do you know what kind of photography she's into?

I'd recommend if you can afford it getting her a basic Digital SLR camera if you can, I know they're a little more expensive but if you keep searching on ebay you're bound to find a new one going dirt cheap sometime for about £200.

The advantage of Digital SLR's is that she can buy new lenses for the camera so she can adjust to different styles of photography easier.  It'll give her more scope to try out new techniques and more freedom to do with photos what she wants.

I got a DSLR for my birthday this year and have learn't alot more about photography by using this than any standard Digital camera I've owned in the past.

A quick look on ebay I found these

Canon EOS with 18-55mm lens (Used - £170 + P&P)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Canon-EOS-Digital-Rebel-SLR-Camera-Kit_W0QQitemZ370265217267QQcmdZViewItemQQptZDigital_Cameras?hash=item563586d8f3&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Sony A230 with18-55mm lens (£280 + P&P more expensive I know)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Brand-New-Sealed-A230-Digital-SLR-Camera-with-18-55m_W0QQitemZ320427470287QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CamerasPhoto_DigitalCameras_DigitalCameras_JN?hash=item4a9af72dcf&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Cheers for the recommendations. I haven't got a clue about camera's like I said so I can't really answer any questions on what she would want really. She has been using her mams for ages though and she seems to like that camera. That one is a Olympus 760 I think. Maybe that would be an indicator of what she would want. I'd obviously look to get her a better one if I can get one for under £200 like.

Well the Olympus is a bog standard point and shoot so if that will make her all moist then just go for that type. The Lumix, as Indi pointed out is a nice camera with lots of facilities.  You might even look at the new Lumix that is tiny but you can buy interchangeable lens' for it, giving you that little bit extra..