Boosting internet signal

Jimburst

I just recently got 50 meg virgin fibre optic broadband, and living in a big house I'm pretty sure I'm not really getting my full speed! I'd like this for my XBOX360 etc so i was wondering how I go about doing that?

Are these signal boosters really worth the cash? Do they work?

Thanks dudes and dudettes!

Plug directly into your router, see what speeds you're getting via an internet speed test. Assuming that's up-to-speed, it's just your internal network that is slowing things down.

A wireless g router isn't really good enough to share out such speedy fast internet to multiple people. You're best going wireless n or running a project to ethernet up your entire house :) or homeplugs. I can't imagine the signal strength is a massive issue, though that'd improve if you moved to wireless n.

I think the wnr2000 which is supplied with the 50mb line is wireless-n.

There is a driver update from virgin which is supposed to help in some cases. http://www.virginmedia.com/myvirginmedia/wireless/nrouter-driverupdate.php This is only for the adaptor mind, i don't know what sort of set up you have.

Try changing the router channel if it's an issue before you spend any money.

d'oh, never even occurred to me they'd supply a wireless n router.

However, if you want it to run at wireless n speeds, you need everyone connected to be on wireless n. Xbox 360 for a fact isn't wireless n. A wireless n xbox adapter will be released soon mind you, but it'll no doubt set u back. Never mind the upgrade of every other item on your network.

Right, XBOX working well, no lag or skipping, and no problems with the internet now, it's like hot shit off a greased shovel currently, but it seems terribly unreliable... You reckon this driver will sort that out Lazlo?

I'm running a basic macbook, white plastic one. That's it, really :).

Probably not. The netgear router is incredibly rubbish and i have to reboot mine every other day, the driver is just for the wireless dongle you got free with the package. It won't make any difference if you're using a mac.

I just recently got 50 meg virgin fibre optic broadband, and living in a big house I'm pretty sure I'm not really getting my full speed! I'd like this for my XBOX360 etc so i was wondering how I go about doing that?

Have you tried installing Norton?

:lol: fuck off.

Right, XBOX working well, no lag or skipping, and no problems with the internet now, it's like hot shit off a greased shovel currently, but it seems terribly unreliable... You reckon this driver will sort that out Lazlo?

I'm running a basic macbook, white plastic one. That's it, really :).

that should have wireless n built-in

iirc, wireless n will only work as fast as wireless g if any wireless g items are connected to it. I set my N router to only allow N clients, therefore the xbox wouldn't be allowed on it.

:lol:

• 2 weeks later...

There's a firmware upgrade available for the wnr2000 router that comes with the 50Mb package. It doesn't show up when you use the automatic updater. http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11895

It seems a bit more reliable with the update but the modem still needs rebooting every day for me. When i updated the signal strength to the 360 was all the way up on green but i'm not sure how firmware would do that.

I'm wired to the 360 now anyway, the wireless is pretty shite.

Actually the revision i posted is about the fourth one since the boot cd that comes with the router and there is a previous revision that deals with 360 connectivity, so it might be well worth an update.