Sorting out Macco

Mowen

Alright everyone, long story short I think my iBook G4 might be fucked. I suspect the hard disk is at fault (translation: asked someone who understands things better than I and they suspected the hard disk) but are there any common sense things I should be doing and checking to see if it increases performance in the meantime? It makes nasty noises and has started crashing alarmingly regularly. Also, the status assigned to its propensity to turn on when asked to has downgraded from 'Always' to 'Usually'.

I've got a guide that told me to start it in safe mode and use the command "fsck -fy" before rebooting it, but apart from occassionally turning it on like that I've done nothing. Advice for spyware checkers, virus checkers and general crap cleaners would be much appreciated.

Ta.

edit: Just to make sure no-one is confused by my title, Macco is what I call my Mac. It's a term of endearment. Sorry to anyone who didn't understand my technical language.

Re-installing the OS on a completely blank HDD wouldn't be an awful idea.

Probably not. Don't know how to do it mind :lol:

Might investigate. Buying some blank DVDs tonight to complete my back up of anything that matters. If the hard disk is fucked would this not just create a lot of extra work for no reason? Also, if I did this would I have to reinstall everything, like Microsoft package etc?

Re-installing the OS on a completely blank HDD wouldn't be an awful idea.

Probably not. Don't know how to do it mind :lol:

Might investigate. Buying some blank DVDs tonight to complete my back up of anything that matters. If the hard disk is fucked would this not just create a lot of extra work for no reason? Also, if I did this would I have to reinstall everything, like Microsoft package etc?

Yes. It would be. But tough shit. Though it really isn't hard. Get your OS X install discs, put in drive, click install OS X. In the options of installation, wipe the drive clean.

You will have 2 back up ur shit and reinstall everything yes.

Just buy a new fucking mac.

Buying a new one is what I'm trying to avoid...

Will look into doing the reinstall, it's my dad's old mac so fuck knows if / where he's got the OS install discs. Been spending the last couple of nights doing some backing up, I'm getting about an hours use a night at the moment. Might take it down a shop, see if they can sort anything. Cheers for the help.

Shop will probably sell you a new HDD for massively inflated prices I'd guess.

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Browse/iBook

Just go buy one from ebuyer or something and replace it yourself. Piece of piss. The OS can no doubt be found fairly easily.. I'm pretty sure I've got a copy of Tiger..

If that's the case I might just try and get a diagnosis from a shop and sort it meself. Cheers for the offer, I may well get in touch if the old man has managed to lose everything. Will investigate tonight, probably.