Darlington FC back Sunderland World Cup bid

Thespence

Look who is SINGHing the Sunderland tune

PLANS to bring World Cup football to Wearside have won the backing of another North East club.

Sunderland wants to be included in England’s application to host the 2018 or 2022 tournaments, which is set to be submitted to global soccer chiefs in the coming months.

Officials need to show there is widespread support for their efforts across the North East, with amenities across the region set to be used if the bid is successful.

And now Darlington Football Club, whose home stadium would be used as a training camp, has thrown its weight behind the case for Sunderland.

Chairman Raj Singh yesterday backed the bid, along with the club’s players, who took a break from training to get behind the campaign.

Mr Singh pointed to the £25m boost the region would get if the festival of football came here.

He said: “This bid is not only vital for North East football but also the economy.

“We all love football, and it would be wonderful for the country to host the FIFA World Cup in 2018. We can all play our part in trying to bring the world to us and, as a club, it would be an honour to be a part of the tournament.

“It is really important the England 2018 team appreciates how much this region wants to welcome the world in 2018, so I urge everyone to log onto www.sunderland2018bid.com and show their support for this great campaign.”

Sunderland’s bid features the Darlington Arena as a first-class training facility for teams competing in the tournament, paired up with the nearby Barcelo Redworth Hall Hotel. There are 16 cities vying for host city status, including Sunderland and North East neighbour Newcastle Gateshead. A final decision is expected in December of this year.

The World Cup would see images of the region beamed to an estimated worldwide TV audience of 2.4 billion in 240 countries.

Sunderland chairman Niall Quinn said: “We’re delighted that Darlington Football Club has agreed to be part of the Sunderland 2018 bid.

“The Darlington Arena is a great venue that really enhances our proposal and we want to make Darlington and its people key aspects of hosting World Cup games in 2018.

“The club, the Barcelo Redworth Hall Hotel and Darlington Borough Council have all been very supportive of the Sunderland campaign. It really is fantastic that people and organis- ations from all over the region are working together to bring the World Cup to Sunderland and the North East in 2018.”

To register support for the bid, log on to www.sunderland2018bid.com or text Sunderland2018, along with your name, house number and postcode to 62299. Texts are charged at the standard network rate.

All messages of support will be included by Sunderland in the final bid document presented to the FA.

http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-east-news/todays-news/2009/09/29/darlington-fc-back-sunderland-world-cup-bid-61634-24803589/

Who wants to bet that Sunderland either have or will loan a couple of youth players to Darlington or maybe a nice pre-season friendly next year.

They have on loan south shields lad Jamie Chandler & a lad called Dowson from SAFC. I think all the NE BIG £ played pre-season games there pre-season just gone.

I'd love to see Raj Sing pay a visit to the likes of Seaham. Something tells me he wouldn't be quite so quick to endorse Sunderland as a stage for the international community

Or likewise if he went to Benwell or Walker.

I'd love to see Raj Sing pay a visit to the likes of Seaham. Something tells me he wouldn't be quite so quick to endorse Sunderland as a stage for the international community

Or likewise if he went to Benwell or Walker.

Benwell?!? Come on the West End is a home to people from many different nationalities. The last time a large group of white blokes were spotted up there was when NUFC had there training ground in Benwell.

:lol:

what a great advert for the north east, invite the world to a public event in two of the regions cesspits. Marvellous idea.

I have to say that the Sunderland bid seems to be getting far more publicity than our bid.  They actually seem confident of getting it which is quite worrying. The Tyneside bid doesnt seem to want it as much and is just expecting us to get it cause we are Newcastle imo.

you have to think if sunderand got it and not newcastle that the people going would do the same as a lot of away fans do at sunderland........fly or train to newcastle,hotel in newcastle,eat and drink in newcastle,arrive sunderland as late as possible,after match leave sunderland as quick as possible, eat and drink in newcastle,hotel in newcastle,fly or train from newcastle.

you have to think if sunderand got it and not newcastle that the people going would do the same as a lot of away fans do at sunderland........fly or train to newcastle,hotel in newcastle,eat and drink in newcastle,arrive sunderland as late as possible,after match leave sunderland as quick as possible, eat and drink in newcastle,hotel in newcastle,fly or train from newcastle.

...and that's the Sunderland players.

Guest toonlass

Aye, makes no odds really. The visitors would arrive, stay, eat, drink and party in Newcastle with an occasional run into Albania on Wear when the match is actually played. The mackems are far more bothered about getting it than we are, I think our attitude seems to be "nice if we get it but meh!"

Aye, makes no odds really. The visitors would arrive, stay, eat, drink and party in Newcastle with an occasional run into Albania on Wear when the match is actually played. The mackems are far more bothered about getting it than we are, I think our attitude seems to be "nice if we get it but meh!"

I don't think thats right, I just see it as The FA, FIFA, and Uefa are going to see it thewe do, everyone will be using Newcastle's facilities if it was hosted in Albania, and Newcastle has a larger stadium, known world wide, so we know that it would be stupid for anyone to take Albania over Newcastle.

However I only think the mackems want it, is to have one over us.

Guest toonlass

I don't think thats right, I just see it as The FA, FIFA, and Uefa are going to see it thewe do, everyone will be using Newcastle's facilities if it was hosted in Albania, and Newcastle has a larger stadium, known world wide, so we know that it would be stupid for anyone to take Albania over Newcastle.

However I only think the mackems want it, is to have one over us.

:snod:

It's all they ever seem to care about tbh