Darlington FC back Sunderland World Cup bid

Thespence

The people at SAFC like Niall & Steve Walton have brains & a council who is more sharper than Newcastle.

But stil had to use facilities of Newcastle as part of the bid, and a picture of the Tyne. Ever wounderd where the "surrounding area"? is when they say Wearside and the surrounding area.... in their world cup bid page.

Guest toonlass

The people at SAFC like Niall & Steve Walton have brains & a council who is more sharper than Newcastle.

But stil had to use facilities of Newcastle as part of the bid, and a picture of the Tyne. Ever wounderd where the "surrounding area"? is when they say Wearside and the surrounding area.... in their world cup bid page.

Did they not use pictures of Northumberland in their bid. Did they mention that you have to travel through Newcastle and North Tyneside to get there? I don't want my home county associated with any mackem bid.

Did they not use pictures of Northumberland in their bid. Did they mention that you have to travel through Newcastle and North Tyneside to get there? I don't want my home county associated with any mackem bid.

and the millenium bridge.

if the council is sharper why is it the shithole that it is ?

For housing Gentoo is light years ahead of YHN & because of this the people of Sunderland will benefit long term. Sunderland clocked the thing about Olympic size swimming pools & now has a great facility. Not a deal breaker but they created a National Glass centre not my cuppa but ticks a few boxes. Newcastle the city will always be better than Sunderland because of places like Grey Street, Collingwood Street, Northumberland Street, Eldon Square but Cowgate is no better than Southwick.

I also look at the banks of the Tyne & see what Gateshead has created on its side I think the Greggs opening on Newcastle side is the only thing of note in the last few years.

Guest toonlass

For housing Gentoo is light years ahead of YHN & because of this the people of Sunderland will benefit long term. Sunderland clocked the thing about Olympic size swimming pools & now has a great facility. Not a deal breaker but they created a National Glass centre not my cuppa but ticks a few boxes. Newcastle the city will always be better than Sunderland because of places like Grey Street, Collingwood Street, Northumberland Street, Eldon Square but Cowgate is no better than Southwick.

I also look at the banks of the Tyne & see what Gateshead has created on its side I think the Greggs opening on Newcastle side is the only thing of note in the last few years.

Is ours not a Newcastle/Gateshead bid?

When they talk about bidding they talk about it benefiting the region so the pictures represent the region. They don't however mention games being played at SJP though. Likewise Newcasltle/Gateshead use footage from Northumberland..............call the cops!!!!

Is ours not a Newcastle/Gateshead bid?

Yes but my point was about Newcastle City Council being pretty poor in general compared to say Sunderland & Gateshead.

is that the national glass centre which is being bailed out all the time as no-one is going ?

sunderland got a swimming pool and the glass centre, newcastle got hotels and commerce because people actually want to go there.

gateshead has space for the baltic and sage because of what was there before. newcastle got the law courts and the restearunts and trappings that go with it.

I'm sorry but no. No, no, no, a million times no :lol:

Sunderland City Council is fucking atrocious and has been for quite some years now. They've sat on their hands when it's came to putting money into improving and expanding the city. Okay, they got the Glass Centre but that just about shows the level of ambition of the council. The Arc site is a complete farce, one which could've been remedied a long time ago by the council, they have no or little interest in supporting the movement and restoration of the City of Adelaide, they turned down the Sage and i'll be very bloody surprised if this bridge or Spirt of Sunderland eventually gets built.

Living in and around areas where Gentoo have previously and still are working I can also vouch for the fact they're spending a lot of money for very little end product. The Sunniside renovation is one of the few exceptions.

Newcastle's council isn't perfect but it's head and shoulders above that of Sunderland. Almost every Mackem i've spoke to agree, although many like to use the 'Geordie Mafia' conspiracy too.

is that the national glass centre which is being bailed out all the time as no-one is going ?

sunderland got a swimming pool and the glass centre, newcastle got hotels and commerce because people actually want to go there.

gateshead has space for the baltic and sage because of what was there before. newcastle got the law courts and the restearunts and trappings that go with it.

Its no longer about infrastructure, its about income. There has been a drive from OneNorthEast to develop the region's international trade links to facilitate export led growth. The Governor of Bank of England agrees.

http://www.nebusiness.co.uk/business-news/latest-business-news/2009/09/24/bank-governor-says-we-can-play-key-role-in-recovery-51140-24769815/

and so does Europe.

http://thegovmonitor.com/world_news/britain/north-east-england-gets-an-international-trade-boost-7290.html

Good news for the region as a whole.

Having spent numerous Friday nights making my way back to Durham from Sunderland after a game of late night football at Crowtree Leisure Centre, I can honestly say I pity any team of foreign professionals that have to try and relax in that place. It's horrendous, there is rubbish on the floors, normally one of the motion adverts will have a broken screen, and in between the mixture of kids shouting abuse hanging round 'The Bridges' or the really dark grotty bars that line the main street, you wait in the piss smelling bus station waiting for the once an hour bus to Durham.

The major art projects in the region such as the NGS & Baltic are not preforming as well as predicted that is a fact.

If your happy with Newcastle City Council good for you. For me they are not as good as Sunderland council & maybe Gateshead. Still I am in North Tyneside & they are even shitter.

Having spent numerous Friday nights making my way back to Durham from Sunderland after a game of late night football at Crowtree Leisure Centre, I can honestly say I pity any team of foreign professionals that have to try and relax in that place. It's horrendous, there is rubbish on the floors, normally one of the motion adverts will have a broken screen, and in between the mixture of kids shouting abuse hanging round 'The Bridges' or the really dark grotty bars that line the main street, you wait in the piss smelling bus station waiting for the once an hour bus to Durham.

FML.

Living in and around areas where Gentoo have previously and still are working I can also vouch for the fact they're spending a lot of money for very little end product. The Sunniside renovation is one of the few exceptions.

Gentoo are the most progressive arms length management organisation in the country. Watch the fuckers go in the next year a two already dabbling in some of the projects in Newcastle as YHN is clumbersome.

The major art projects in the region such as the NGS & Baltic are not preforming as well as predicted that is a fact.

If your happy with Newcastle City Council good for you. For me they are not as good as Sunderland council & maybe Gateshead. Still I am in North Tyneside & they are even shitter.

Living in Washington i'm ruled over by Sunderland City Council so I can vouch for their shitness. They're useless, the Labour majority have became used to getting away with doing nothing yet retaining support because they're not the Tories. The majority of people aren't happy but they can't bring themselves for anyone else.

Don't believe me? You can go on the SMB and find numerous threads bemoaning the council and talking favourably about Newcastle and Gateshead. Considering we're dealing with people who can't bring themselves to type Newcastle without peppering it with asterix after asterix it shows you how strong feeling is.

true about the art projects though the baltic was always going to be a strange call with the art it shows not being the mostpopular/understood.  the great north museum project meanwhile has apparently exceeded it's own expectations.

i know people in sunderland are paying a council tax similar to myself and when i walk round both places there are real differences i see. as i've said even the locals don't like sunderland. whats happening on the vaux site in a prime area ? could you imagine that anywhere else ?

Guest neesy111

yeap the geordie mafia thing is quite true

was at an award's ceremony a few months back and spoke to sunderland's lord mayor, who in fact is a newcastle fan, he didn't like the fact i thought he would be a sunderland  ;D

So they're going to choose 15 stadiums and there's 16 cities put themselves forward so far, some of which have more than one possible stadium, London, Manchester, etc.

Here's the list:

1. Birmingham - Villa Park.

2. Bristol - :lol:

3. Derby - Mmmm, perhaps, but definitely lower down the list than both Newcastle and Sunderland.

4. Hull - Nah.

5. Leeds - Elland Road perhaps, but it'd probably need a lot of work, so maybe not.

6. Leicester - Nah, too small.

7. Liverpool - Anfield/New stadium

8. London - Wembley, Emirates, Twickenham, Olympic stadium

9. Manchester - Old Trafford, Eastlands.

10. Milton Keynes - Nope.

11. NewcastleGateshead - SJP, pretty much guaranteed, I reckon.

12. Nottingham - City ground.

13. Plymouth - Yeah right.

14. Portsmouth - See above.

15. Sheffield - Hillsborough, probably need a fair bit of work to it.

16. Sunderland - Decent chance.

The lowest I can see SJP being in that list is 8th, if they go with all four London stadiums. I'd imagine they'd probably have two stadiums close-ish together for each group and there'll almost certainly be a group based in the North East, so I wouldn't be surprised if both us and the mackems got chosen. Once you take out the cities who are blatantly kidding themselves then it's not really that much of a competition is it.

Living in Washington i'm ruled over by Sunderland City Council so I can vouch for their shitness. They're useless, the Labour majority have became used to getting away with doing nothing yet retaining support because they're not the Tories. The majority of people aren't happy but they can't bring themselves for anyone else.

Don't believe me? You can go on the SMB and find numerous threads bemoaning the council and talking favourably about Newcastle and Gateshead. Considering we're dealing with people who can't bring themselves to type Newcastle without peppering it with asterix after asterix it shows you how strong feeling is.

DaveyIcke - Get yourself down to Stevie Y's/last chance ranch, the motorway services or the bird sanctuary.

Most people whinge about there own council that is a given.

So they're going to choose 15 stadiums and there's 16 cities put themselves forward so far, some of which have more than one possible stadium, London, Manchester, etc.

Here's the list:

3. Derby - Mmmm, perhaps, but definitely lower down the list than both Newcastle and Sunderland.

4. Hull - Nah.

5. Leeds - Elland Road perhaps, but it'd probably need a lot of work, so maybe not.

The lowest I can see SJP being in that list is 8th, if they go with all four London stadiums. I'd imagine they'd probably have two stadiums close-ish together for each group and there'll almost certainly be a group based in the North East, so I wouldn't be surprised if both us and the mackems got chosen. Once you take out the cities who are blatantly kidding themselves then it's not really that much of a competition is it.

you have to remember they want a nice geographic grouping like in world cups and such so london will have at least one group, the north west will. yorkshire has minuses on the stadia but gains on being able to put the supporters up. there will be a midlands group.

we will get picked but will it be as a north east or north east/yorkshire/humberside group.

london could have 2 groups if they decide on 2 stadia per group......and they probably will.

Guest neesy111

Here's the list:

4. Hull - Nah.

tbf, the problem we have is that all the best stadiums seem to be congregated near each other

yorkshire for example has no new football stadium built at all, but manchester has 2 very good stadiums

same for birmingham, villa park for the world cup, aye if they rebuilt the thing, look at the last 2 world cups, all the stadiums have been just about rebuilt from scratch

newcastle will easily be on the list, if not, then it'll be another labour conspiracy against the north east like the capital of culture bid, which was only given to liverpool as they needed the cash more than us

Guest neesy111

DaveyIcke - Get yourself down to Stevie Y's/last chance ranch, the motorway services or the bird sanctuary.

Most people whinge about there own council that is a given.

washington is a shithole i've thankfully left, theres fuck all there and has never been any investment at all in the whole town, apparently when the next boundary changes are made, gateshead council are going to takeover (which could mean the metro finally coming to washington, after sunderland council have refused it outright)