Martins and Given to miss out

Guest smoggeordie

Guest smoggeordie

Martins out of big City clash

Nov 11 2006

By The Journal

Obafemi Martins has seen his Premiership comeback put on hold after Glenn Roeder was forced to shelve his plans to include the £10m striker in his squad for this afternoon's critical trip to Manchester.

But the Newcastle boss could call on the services of Shola Ameobi after the 25-year-old made an unexpected return to work at the club's training ground.

Ameobi is preparing to travel to the United States for a hip operation that will spell a premature end to his troubled campaign but, although Roeder did not envisage being able to select the former England Under-21 international again this season, Ameobi is determined to make one final appearance in a black-and-white shirt.

"Shola knows that he is going to need an operation sooner rather than later but he's not prepared to just down tools and give in to an injury that has affected him for the best part of the year," said a manager who will listen to the advice of the club's medical staff before deciding whether to include Ameobi in his 16-man squad for a game Newcastle can ill afford to lose.

"He has had a rest and some treatment and now he is training again. He has done tremendously well to get this far and it will be a blow when we have to do without him."

Ameobi will undergo a pioneering hip operation at the renowned Colorado clinic of Dr Richard Steadman and club officials have spent this week attempting to book the procedure. Having missed United's last five games, the striker is determined to play one more game before conceding that his season is over.

Given the significance of today's trip to Manchester City, his availability would be a welcome boost for a manager short of attacking options.

Roeder had hoped that Martins (pictured left) would be able to return this weekend from the hamstring problem that has sidelined him for the last two-and-a-half weeks. The Nigerian has resumed full training but, having monitored his progress closely in recent days, Roeder has decided to exercise caution with his most-expensive signing.

Martins was not on the coach when United's first-team squad departed for Manchester yesterday afternoon. But the former San Siro favourite is expected to be available for next weekend's tough trip to Arsenal.

Shay Given has made rapid progress in his recovery from a bowel operation and the Republic of Ireland international will hope to be in the squad this afternoon. Roeder was last night keeping his cards close to his chest, although following his Carling Cup heroics at Watford this week Steve Harper is not expected to be dropped.

"Steve has done exactly what I thought he would do," said Roeder. "He has played extremely well, especially when you bear in mind that he has been playing with a minor injury. I see him every day in training showing a standard that tells me that, anywhere other than Newcastle, he would have played hundreds of games."

Harper's penalty shoot-out save from Jordan Stewart on Tuesday evening secured United's qualification for the Carling Cup quarter-finals. The Magpies will discover the identity of their next opponents shortly before kicking off in Manchester. Roeder said: "We have given ourselves a real chance in the cup competitions."

Link

Nothing in that text really surprise me. I mean. If Martins started to run this thursday it would be quit stupied to involed Martins now. when he hasen´t touch a ball in two weeks.

Given is just 100% and when Harper has been briliant so is there no reason to switch now.

But if Ameobi plays with his problems I would be very angry :wullie: Yes he has been important for us and he has done it well to play with lot of pains. but the recovery time will just be longer the more he plays through the pains!

Guest Ridzuan

I dont have any problems if both of them didnt play today,especially Given because Harper is doing well and there is no need to drop him yet.I just want to see Dyer playing because I think he will be our most important player today.

But if Ameobi plays with his problems I would be very angry :wullie: Yes he has been important for us and he has done it well to play with lot of pains. but the recovery time will just be longer the more he plays through the pains!

Amoebi is booked in for surgery in the USA next week. So even if he plays today it will definetly be his last game.