Piracy statistics "utter bollocks"

BlueStar

Reminds me of Dr Evil asking for a trillion dollars.

Yes, because when someone steals your property and you ask for compensation you are evil, just let them steal it.

The exact figure in losses is irrelevant, all you need to know is that there are SOME losses, that SOME people who got an item illegaly for free would otherwise have bought it legally if there was no illegal alternative, therefore a loss.

I think people have a bit of a problem with made up numbers being presented in court as factual evidence to influence sentencing, dunno why.

If all that matters is that there's SOME losses, why do they insist on putting an exact dollar amount on them?  I'll remember this if I have a fire at my house, I'll just wack £20k on the insurance form and if they question it I'll just tell them I lost SOME stuff.

DVD's and CD's are sold at extortionate prices in the U.K. for mental profits all down the supply chain with artists often ending up with betweem 2p and 10p per cd for instance. The record industry for one are absolute cunts and I have no sympathy for them.

Hey. I've an idea. They can try to recover some of this 'loss' by selling their product at a 1000% mark-up, the ****.

Maybe if people didn't buy pirate material prices would be forced down?

Personally don't see the difference between buying a pirate DVD and a copy you know has been stolen from a shop.

Well, there is a difference. In one case you're essentially ripping off Warner Bros., or whoever, and in the other you're ripping off the shop.

I don't buy into the piracy = price hike argument. It's bullshit. On a purely personal level, I'm forced to--ahem--'aquire' many more albums now than I did when places like CD-WOW were allowed to sell their CDs at 6-7 quid each.

Impossible to put a figure on. The way some figures are made up they assume that because I've paid £x for, say, a pirated version of MI3 I would automatically have bought it from the shop anyway.  Which is more often that not bollocks.

There are three main pirated merchandise:

1. Films - They cost a shitload to make, but are 90% utter shit and sold at a hefty mark-up even though the makers have already made huge profits in the theatres before they go to DVD.

2. Music - Album costs vary from very little (50k or less) to fucking loads (1m+). Only about 75% of the output is shit. Publishers make a mint regardless of sales from radio and TV rights. Mark-up for CDs (and even MP3s, ffs) is massive.

3. Games - Generally cost a canny bit to make (usually more than albums, but less than films). 50% utter shit, sold at a fucking gigantic mark-up.

FWIW, I take each album, movie or game on a case-by-case basis. However, I'll put my cards on the table and say that a film would have to be brilliant for me to even consider buying it as, for me, they don't offer anywhere near the same value for money (replay value, if you like) as a game or album.

* If I 'acquire' it, and it's shit, I'll toss the thing and no one's missed out, really.

* If I 'acquire' it and it's awesome, I'll seriously consider buying it or buying the next release from that games house/artist, etc.

* If I 'acquire' it and it's great and it's on a small label, indepent producer, etc., I'm morally obliged to buy the thing, really, and 9 out of 10 will buy it legitimately (as cheaply as possible, of course).

In summary: I refuse to be ripped-off and pay globe-raping corporations extravagantly for what is often crap.

personally, I go to every movie worth seeing simply because the experience is that much better. I occasionally buy a dvd, but that's very rare. I still download a lot of films, but the movie industry aren't loosing out a penny on me, since i wouldn't buy/rent these movies anyway.

As for music, i never buy any. but the music industry aren't loosing much on me, as i don't download much that much and the stuff i download i wouldn't have bought anyway.