Keegan vs Ashley and Co case settled - KK awarded 2m

Taylor Swift

I'm starting a new thread specifically for the case which has just been settled.

The pdf file is http://www.premierleague.com/staticFiles/c0/3f/0,,12306~147392,00.pdf

I've read almost all of it (boring Friday) and here's a general summary

1. KK says that during contract negotiations, it was made expressly clear that he had the final say over transfers.

2. The club says that during contract negotiations, it was made implicitly clear that KK would not have final say - and that the club would be operating under the 'Continental' model in which there would be a Director of Football.

3. KK resigned when Nacho Gonzalez was signed. The story, according to the pdf file, is that Wise suggested to KK that Nacho was a player worth looking at. KK said that he hadn't heard of the player so Wise suggested that KK youtube Nacho (:lol:), which he did and wasn't impressed. So KK said no yet the next day, the club signed him. The actual reason the club signed him was as a favour to a couple of agents in South America. So KK resigned.

4. So KK sued the club for constructive dismissal i.e. he had no option but ot leave the club because the club had breached a fundamental term of the contract.

5. Arbitration panel concludes that KK is right because the club's employees presented conflicting stories - Llambias apparently mailing a letter to KK saying that he has the final say over all transfers except 'financials' yet actually maintaining that KK did not have the final say. Baffling, almost absurd stuff coming from the club about this.

6. Arbitration panel also, rightly imo, concludes that as the contract states that KK's job was to 'perform duties as may usually be associated with the position of Manager of a Premier League Football team', this is defined as giving KK the final say over transfers (since it is natural for Premier League managers to have the final say over transfers).

7. Loads of evidence of the club and its employees saying KK had the final say over transfers, so the arbitration panel concluded that even though it was not explicitly stated in the contract, it was implicit and thus KK gets 2m.

The one main thing for me is:

The Club admitted to the Tribunal that it repeatedly and intentionally misled the press, public and the fans of Newcastle United.

They I way I have read it so far is all this kicked off because we wanted to be in the good books of some south American agents.........DO THESE CLOWNS NOT REALISE WERE IN THE GOOD BOOKS OF EVERY FOOTBALL AGENT DUE TO THE WEDGE WE PAY FOR UNDERPREFORMING PLAYERS & THEIR AGENTS!!!!!

So, are they really just 'idiots' has everyone likes to believe. It seems a lot dodgier than that, intentionally lying to the press, fans and signing players as a favour for agents?

The one main thing for me is:

The Club admitted to the Tribunal that it repeatedly and intentionally misled the press, public and the fans of Newcastle United.

They say that they did so because they did not want to undermine KK's position. Yet they did not tell KK that those press releases were in fact bs and that he actually did not have the final say over transfers! Man, what a joke.

signing a player to curry favour with a scout is basically corrupt. not to mention stupid.

though it should be pointed out that this case seems to focus on the nacho deal as it looks like the most watertight example of kk being undermined. clause 33 touches on some other issues, and it is clear they existed just from using common sense and reading into the mud-slinging campaign and lies (as a court has declared them to be) launched by the club, but overall they're not discussed.

They I way I have read it so far is all this kicked off because we wanted to be in the good books of some south American agents.........DO THESE CLOWNS NOT REALISE WERE IN THE GOOD BOOKS OF EVERY FOOTBALL AGENT DUE TO THE WEDGE WE PAY FOR UNDERPREFORMING PLAYERS & THEIR AGENTS!!!!!

I think they probably thought that getting in the good books of these specific agents would lead to them getting a first refusal-esque contract with every new hot shot from South America (or maybe Uruguay, specifically).

The club also say that they did not actually intend for KK to use Nacho but if that's the case, why did Wise suggest him to KK? And why Nacho, an actual international, rather some unknown player who could actually siphon off his wages to the agents?

There's obviously something dodgy going on but it seems the people running the club can't pull off anything successfully - they can't even pay agents without getting themselves tangled up in nonsense.

Guest icemanblue

Anyone watching SSN here? Why is it that they're focusing on Keegans claim and not the facts revealed in that pdf?

I think they probably thought that getting in the good books of these specific agents would lead to them getting a first refusal-esque contract with every new hot shot from South America (or maybe Uruguay, specifically).

The club also say that they did not actually intend for KK to use Nacho but if that's the case, why did Wise suggest him to KK? And why Nacho, an actual international, rather some unknown player who could actually siphon off his wages to the agents?

There's obviously something dodgy going on but it seems the people running the club can't pull off anything successfully - they can't even pay agents without getting themselves tangled up in nonsense.

one thing we can conclude from this is that the club was/is being ran very unprofessionaly. it seems that the transfer shenanigans we'd seen under shepherd (closeness to particular agents) continued under ashley.

The thing is, I'm pretty sure this is already prevalent in football (dodgy deals with agents). I'm pretty sure that the likes of Real, Barca, Man Utd, Chelsea etc. do this kind of shit to get the next big thing but at least they know what they're doing and don't let it leak out like this. The payments are probably too small for the authorities to actually give a shit - I mean, who's going to care if a few ten thousand disappears off Chelsea's books and shows up in some private account in Argentina? People have got bigger fish to fry. The real problem is that I can't believe the club actually admitted to the arbitration panel that they signed Nacho as a favour to two agents. Make up something, you daft cunts.

So it all comes down to Nacho? What about the Milner sale and Xisco, did Keegan approve those?

think youre missing the point a bit. nacho deal was the specific grounds keegan's legal team used to fight the claim, and it's referred to as a 'last straw'. there's other stuff that has gone on, as the pdf mentions in passing, but they haven't been used to fight this particular legal battle. the pdf isnt a judgement on every single little thing that went on.

Surprised at how piddling the settlement was. Most managers we've sacked walked away with a lot more than that.

They'll probably insist on future managers signing pre-nuptial agreements.

It was the exact amount in the contract. As for pre-nups I think some clubs have followed what Shep did with Bobby (another Toon manager who had to battle for a payout) 12 month rolling contracts.

Guest neesy111

So it all comes down to Nacho? What about the Milner sale and Xisco, did Keegan approve those?

think youre missing the point a bit. nacho deal was the specific grounds keegan's legal team used to fight the claim, and it's referred to as a 'last straw'. there's other stuff that has gone on, as the pdf mentions in passing, but they haven't been used to fight this particular legal battle. the pdf isnt a judgement on every single little thing that went on.

this throw's another point?  if this was over just 1 transfer, shouldn't keegan's love of the club show through it for 1 transfer

although if it was over multiple points then yes he was right to quit

Exactly. The pdf focuses on the one issue - signing Nacho - and KK has been proved absolutely right in this case

I suppose now KK should also get the benefit of the doubt for all the other shit that went on - the Milner sale, him and Wise etc.

Guest icemanblue

this throw's another point?  if this was over just 1 transfer, shouldn't keegan's love of the club show through it,

But it wasn't about one transfer. It's over the principle. He was lead to believe he had the final say and he didn't. Simple as that.

Guest neesy111

Exactly. The pdf focuses on the one issue - signing Nacho - and KK has been proved absolutely right in this case

I suppose now KK should also get the benefit of the doubt for all the other shit that went on - the Milner sale, him and Wise etc.

i would like keegan to write a book on this, could be a good read

PLEASE READ THE FULL PDF, THE JUDGES COMMENT QUITE FREQUENTLY THE CLEAR LACK OF CLARITY IN DECEISIONS AND THE "CONFUSION" BETWEEN STAFF AND THEIR OWN MODEL OF BUSINESS CONDUCT...

WHAT A SET OF CLOWNS.

WELL DONE KEV!!

Guest neesy111

this throw's another point?  if this was over just 1 transfer, shouldn't keegan's love of the club show through it,

But it wasn't about one transfer. It's over the principle. He was lead to believe he had the final say and he didn't. Simple as that.

fine, but don't throw a strop when ppl say he's a quitter as that is down to his principles