Nottm Forest v Newcastle United, 17:20 Saturday 17 October 2009 pre match thread

Astroblack

Alternatively, we could stop playing long ball football. In terms of goals it hasn't given us success this season.

That said, Carroll is the only player I'd start with Harewood

Agreed. It's only ever gonna get you so far. From what i remember of saturday though Marlon never won a single header and his touch is highly suspect. I'd play Carroll/lovenkrands or Carroll/Ranger. Maybe its fitness with Marlon but he didnt cut on saturday against a relatively poor side. Be lovely to play through the midfield more often give the lad a few more options but such is the nature of the beast i suppose

"in terms of goals it hasn't given us success this season" :laugh:

2 goals in 11 games against the worst of defences doesn't represent success to me. The long ball tactic succeeds only in us losing the ball time and time again. We looked out most dangerous going forward against Brom, Reading and Ispwich to me. Simply because we played some football and got the ball wide when we could.

"in terms of goals it hasn't given us success this season" :laugh:

2 goals in 11 games against the worst of defences doesn't represent success to me. The long ball tactic succeeds only in us losing the ball time and time again. We looked out most dangerous going forward against Brom, Reading and Ispwich to me. Simply because we played some football and got the ball wide when we could.

2 goals in 11 isn't when they were playing together though.  The team scored 5 goals in the 2 games Ranger and Carroll started up front.  Not saying we should start Ranger-Carroll but the statistic you keep bringing up is totally misleading.

What the f*** are you on about?

I'm not talking about Ranger, Carroll or whoever. I'm referring to the long ball tactics we've played most of the time this season with little success.

We can still play decent football with Ranger and Carroll up front, we don't have to play long ball football.  You're the one who keeps bringing up that stat and I don't know why.  We've played long ball football all season except maybe Reading.  Even against West Brom our tactics were still hump it up to Carroll.

If you're just talking about long ball tactic why keep saying 2 goals in 11 games?  :facepalm:  We haven't ****ing got 2 goals in 11 games playing long ball football, we've scored much more.  Unless, as I say, you were referring to Ranger and Carroll solely....

Not that hard to understand.

The long ball tactic is exactly what we should use with the players we've got. We have two or three big strikers, slow, shite midfielders who can battle and Kevin Nolan who's success at bolton was under long ball king Sam Allardyce. How else can we play seeing as most of our midfielders are incapable of running hard for 90 mins? Pretty hard to pass and move if you miss out the 'move' part.

Harper

Simpson  Taylor  Khiz  Enrique

R.Taylor  Nolan  Smith  Loven

Carroll  Harewood

Jonas and Guthrie impact players off bench if needed.

The long ball tactic is exactly what we should use with the players we've got. We have two or three big strikers, slow, shite midfielders who can battle and Kevin Nolan who's success at bolton was under long ball king Sam Allardyce. How else can we play seeing as most of our midfielders are incapable of running hard for 90 mins? Pretty hard to pass and move if you miss out the 'move' part.

I agree. Unless the likes of Guthrie and Jonas started playing a hell of a lot better and demanding the ball we are better off using this sort of tactic. Butt, Nolan and Barton can't seem to pass it properly over 5 yards so it's best to bypass them altogether, try to get it down the flanks or up to the big lads with Nolan playing off them picking up the scraps.

Harper

Carroll  Harewood

people still putting Lovenkrands on the LW?

I didn't expect such nonsense from you tbf

Harper

Carroll  Harewood

I'd consider him for left wing, but out of necessity more than will. We're hardly bustling with options.

Still, I'd probably have that team but with Jonas in place of Lovenkrands.

I'd drop Guthrie. For his age, his energy levels, passing, etc. are shocking.

I remember saying last season that he was hiding in some games and it's disappointing that he hasn't stepped up to the plate even at this level. I have severe doubts about him now, he's got the ability to perform much better than he's shown but he seems easily dominated by even mediocre opposition.

Harper

Carroll  Harewood

Jonas was woeful on Saturday and really doesn't deserve to start as he's having a negative effect on him.

Guthrie is suffering from a lack of confidence and likewise, would be better on the bench. I really don't want to put Geremi there, or bring in Butt, so the only option really for me is Lovenkrands. He's shit on the wing but then again he hasn't been doing much upfront lately.