Nottm Forest v Newcastle United, 17:20 Saturday 17 October 2009 pre match thread

Astroblack

On the other hand, keep Smith's performances, but take away Nolan, and we wouldn't be in the top two.

Catch 22 isn't it? The better footballers in the sense of running off the ball, passing and movement don't have end product, and the one's with end product can barely run two yards with the ball without falling over their own feet.

On the other hand, keep Smith's performances, but take away Nolan, and we wouldn't be in the top two.

The thing is, unlike Nolan, Alan Smith can crop up anywhere.

The thing is, unlike Nolan, Alan Smith can crop up anywhere.

:lol: Im already sick of hearing that. Game defect-tastic!

Quite interesting that people are suggesting Carroll and Harewood up front. I thought Lovenkrands looked dangerous against Bristol City and it would be harsh to drop him.

i thought he was nowhere to be seen, especially in the first half.

Do you think the invisible man set Harewood up for that chance in the first half like?

because creating one chance in 45 minutes justifies someone as being "dangerous"?

Quite interesting that people are suggesting Carroll and Harewood up front. I thought Lovenkrands looked dangerous against Bristol City and it would be harsh to drop him.

Do you think the invisible man set Harewood up for that chance in the first half like?

because creating one chance in 45 minutes justifies someone as being "dangerous"?

Think they were both pretty poor to be honest. Harewood was very unlucky to hit the post but he did sweet FA after that

Nolan doesn't score goals when he plays up front though, he's not even a handful.  He scores his goals from midfield, all he does when he plays up front is lumber around and waste a place in the side.

Noone suggested playing him up front though i suggested playing him behind a lone striker ala Bolton.

Nolan doesn't score goals when he plays up front though, he's not even a handful.  He scores his goals from midfield, all he does when he plays up front is lumber around and waste a place in the side.

Noone suggested playing him up front though i suggested playing him behind a lone striker ala Bolton.

His goals have only come when two strikers have been on the pitch this season I believe.

No, but it does make him somewhere to be seen..

His goals have only come when two strikers have been on the pitch this season I believe.

I think he will be most effective behind a lone striker. If we sacrifice a striker for extra creativity i.e Jonas and Taylor with Guthrie in the middle i think we will benefit.

Nolan doesn't score goals when he plays up front though, he's not even a handful. He scores his goals from midfield, all he does when he plays up front is lumber around and waste a place in the side.

I think he will be most effective behind a lone striker. If we sacrifice a striker for extra creativity i.e Jonas and Taylor with Guthrie in the middle i think we will benefit.

He didn't look effective in that role in the slightest against Cardiff, Leicester or Plymouth until a second striker came on.

He didn't look effective in that role in the slightest against Cardiff, Leicester or Plymouth until a second striker came on.

Remind me of the system we played?

Ummm...he played behind a lone striker?

Ummm...he played behind a lone striker?

If i remember correctly there was noone playing wide in those positions i.e we were playing narrow.

Don't agree with that at all, really. We'd have beaten Palace, Plymouth and Ipswich wish or without Nolan imo. Smith's been absolutely vital from a defensive perspective this year.

Booked trains last night. Hopefully its nt too hard to get back to the station after the game. Trains at 7.40

You'll be struggling there like unless you leave after 80 mins. Weaving your way through forest fans on the way to the station wont be easy