***PUSSY GALORE!!!*** - The Cat Lover's Thread for Cat Lovers

GM

Right. Been thinking this one through a fair bit with my good lady and I think we're going to have to get a cat. But I really really really need to find a good mouseinator, an indoor cat, and preferably one with relatively short hair. Any cat owners on here have recommendations?

EDIT: Thread title changed to please Maddy.

EDIT: Changed again now I've had some inspiration. :smug:

Right. Been thinking this one through a fair bit with my good lady and I think we're going to have to get a cat. But I really really really need to find a good mouseinator, an indoor cat, and preferably one with relatively short hair. Any cat owners on here have recommendations?

Get it as young as possible if you want to teach it different things. And the classic "squirt water on the cat to make it stop doing something" is not a good advice if you want the cat to love you, it'll just end up combining discomfort with you, which is not a good thing.

That's about what I have for cat advice. Best of luck O0

Hang on, you absolutely hate cats  ???

tbh

:lol: Decky's sussed it. But the blunt truth is we also have a bit of a mouse problem, and I don't really hate cats as much as I've made out previously.

Now, can you maybe recommend a decent short-haired domestic mouse-killing machine or not?

I know it may not be your thing but have you tried looking at a cat shelter? you could get some kittens after a wait or some older cats which you can get straight away which are always in need of a good home. Theres one in elswick where we got ours from which was good, they were called drifters reach however I think the names changed.

Cats also dislike the smell of citrus, so if you don't want them climbing or something and stuff like that, just squirt some orange or whatnot on the things. And for the things you want them to climb on, if any, get some liquid catnip and squirt on the things.

I know it may not be your thing but have you tried looking at a cat shelter? you could get some kittens after a wait or some older cats which you can get straight away which are always in need of a good home. Theres one in elswick where we got ours from which was good, they were called drifters reach however I think the names changed.

Aye, Joey - I'd have no problem taking on a rescue cat, tbh. So long as it doesn't piss all over the carpet or have dander which causes my eyes to itch like a whore's fanny on a dry day. I've been onto the local cat rescue centre websites and can see a couple of decent possibilities. I guess what I need to do is read up a bit more about different cat breeds and what sorts of cats are best mousers etc...

Hang on, you absolutely hate cats  ???

Things change.

:lol:

You need a 'domestic shorthair' breed which are really common. If you want it to be an indoor cat then I would suggest just getting a kitten who doesn't know any different and it will be fine indoors. If you get an older cat who is used to being outside you'll constantly be battling to keep it from escaping. Mouse-wise - it's natural instinct is to mouse so don't worry about that.

Local shelters, Cats Protection League and RSPCA are your best bet. Try to avoid pet shops that will charge a fortune.

if you don't want a cat don't get one.

we would lend our cat out to people who had mouse trouble,put some whiskas in some cupboards and put the mog in. the mice smell tham and keep away quite a lot of the time.

we tried getting one from the shelter near balliol/four lane ends, so much hard work. it was an £80 release fee, then £10 vets fee/castration, then £10 for a collar.

money we didn't really have, it would have cost around £100 without microchipping. as it happens my little sister's mate's nanna works at a rescue centre in south shields and she had a kitten in (4mths old) that we got for £60 including all vets fees etc.

we tried getting one from the shelter near balliol/four lane ends, so much hard work. it was an £80 release fee, then £10 vets fee/castration, then £10 for a collar.

money we didn't really have, it would have cost around £100 without microchipping. as it happens my little sister's mate's nanna works at a rescue centre in south shields and she had a kitten in (4mths old) that we got for £60 including all vets fees etc.

Thats where we got our dog from and she's mint :) Stupid as fuck, but mint and really fast.

We got ours for free from drifters reach, they had a fair few there too, all you need to give is a donation (if you want) we just gave loads of cat food.