Why does it matter that Barry Moat doesn't have billions?

Dave

I'm getting tired of people moaning that the guy supposedly in pole position to buy the club:

• Doesn't have billions of pounds to his name
  • Has 'struggled to scrape together the £100m'
  • Has 'struggled to convince Barclays to let him take over'
  • Won't be able to afford to buy players
  • Won't be able to afford to run the club

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying this guy is perfect and I'm not saying he's automatically going to be better than Ashley (though it would be some going not to be), but the facts about him getting backing and having to convince Barclays don't necessarily have any bearing on his plans for the club whatsoever. £100m is a lot of money to find in one hit even for the rich and from what has been reported and rumoured about Ashley's methods of sale it's no surprise it's taken a while to get the cash together. Don't forget that the next lot absolutely will not want to get themselves into the situation Ashley has with regards to debts and 'hidden' costs. Also, Barclays will have been practically begging Ashley to stay because they know he's got the assets to secure the overdraft. It's no wonder they're dragging their heels.

Most of us would love the new guy to roll in with a load of disposable assets, making big noises about spending money and getting the club back to where it has been in the past. Sound familiar? That's right, it's exactly what Ashley did and look where that's got us. Ashley had and still does have fucking loads of money, but that's not the be all and end all. You only have to look at the Keegan farce to see how shambolically the club has been operated under his stewardship. Shepherd went totally tits up in the last few years but he proved that with a few key decisions made well, this club can generate good levels of income and attract investment - enough to have us back in the Premier League with a positive future. Okay we might not be able to challenge for the title without megabucks but one step at a time, eh?

Let's stop focussing on how much money Moat has and hope that his decision-making skills are a massive improvement instead.

I don't really want some random arab billionaire to come in and use the club as a plaything all I want is someone who will run the club properly its all I ask. The club itself has more earning potential than most clubs in the premier league so as long as sensible financial decisions are made it will generate cash to spend. More importantly I want someone with dignity in charge of the club, would make a nice change

This is like Star Wars (yes I'm a geek) and the Force. The Dark Side is faster, easier, quicker... but stronger? No. I expect many tears at City and Chelsea in the long term, when billionaires get bored (Chelsea will be pretty screwed in a couple years)

I'd just sleep a little easier knowing he had some more backing is all. 

I don't think it's fair to point to MA and say "well he had lots of money and made the right sounds and look where that got us."  It wasn't his billions or statement of intent, it was being a complete moron.

So long as Moat isn't a complete incompetent boob I suppose it'll be hard to do any worse, regardless of funding.

Guest Heneage

I'm getting tired of people moaning that the guy supposedly in pole position to buy the club:

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying this guy is perfect and I'm not saying he's automatically going to be better than Ashley (though it would be some going not to be), but the facts about him getting backing and having to convince Barclays don't necessarily have any bearing on his plans for the club whatsoever. £100m is a lot of money to find in one hit even for the rich and from what has been reported and rumoured about Ashley's methods of sale it's no surprise it's taken a while to get the cash together. Don't forget that the next lot absolutely will not want to get themselves into the situation Ashley has with regards to debts and 'hidden' costs. Also, Barclays will have been practically begging Ashley to stay because they know he's got the assets to secure the overdraft. It's no wonder they're dragging their heels.

Most of us would love the new guy to roll in with a load of disposable assets, making big noises about spending money and getting the club back to where it has been in the past. Sound familiar? That's right, it's exactly what Ashley did and look where that's got us. Ashley had and still does have f***ing loads of money, but that's not the be all and end all. You only have to look at the Keegan farce to see how shambolically the club has been operated under his stewardship. Shepherd went totally tits up in the last few years but he proved that with a few key decisions made well, this club can generate good levels of income and attract investment - enough to have us back in the Premier League with a positive future. Okay we might not be able to challenge for the title without megabucks but one step at a time, eh?

Let's stop focussing on how much money Moat has and hope that his decision-making skills are a massive improvement instead.

But how will we compete in the top league if we are on a tight budget.

Most of us would love the new guy to roll in with a load of disposable assets, making big noises about spending money and getting the club back to where it has been in the past. Sound familiar? That's right, it's exactly what Ashley did and look where that's got us. Ashley had and still does have f***ing loads of money, but that's not the be all and end all. You only have to look at the Keegan farce to see how shambolically the club has been operated under his stewardship. Shepherd went totally tits up in the last few years but he proved that with a few key decisions made well, this club can generate good levels of income and attract investment - enough to have us back in the Premier League with a positive future. Okay we might not be able to challenge for the title without megabucks but one step at a time, eh?

There's no reason why we should be on a tight budget.  The club generates enough money to give us a budget as big or bigger than all but 5 other clubs in the country (including the sugar daddy clubs like Man City and Chelsea).  Significantly bigger then the majority of Premiership clubs.  If you want to talk about tight budgets look at the likes of Wigan and Stoke who are getting by on a budget of around half what we were bringing in.

Guest neesy111

if we go up this season with moat in charge, he can then sell 1/2 the club if he wants at a profit to allow investment

also if we do go up, the club will have money to spend

I disagree. I think the post you made was a solid argument, but incorrect looking at context.

We needed stability 10 years ago, when billions weren't essential.

A well structured setup will enable you to improve, but the improvement will be limited.

It's a bit of a contradiction actually. Stability may be the way forward in the short term, baring in mind we're not currently even a Premier League side, but finance will be the only way to progress once we hopefully return there.

I disagree. I think the post you made was a solid argument, but incorrect looking at context.

A well structured setup will enable you to improve, but the improvement will be limited.

It's a bit of a contradiction actually. Stability may be the way forward in the short term, baring in mind we're not currently even a Premier League side, but finance will be the only way to progress once we hopefully return there.

I think this is true. I worry that without significant investment the best we can hope to be is a yo-yo club.

I'd feel more comfortable if I knew a few more positive things about Moat and his vision/plan for the club other than that he's had a struggle to get the overdraft guaranteed and will appoint his mate Alan Shearer.

Stability is always needed.  Also while you're argument of stability not being able to offer anything but a limited improvement would apply to a lot of Premiership clubs its much less relevant to us.  Of course its going to be very difficult to ever get back into the top four without large outside investment.  But unlike most clubs we generate enough money to allow a very good manager and board room to get this club to the top again.  For instance our revenue last season was just short of £100m.  With a wage bill well above the Premiership average we'd still have plenty of money to add to the squad.  You then aim for top 6 or 7 and gain further revenue from Europe/TV/better sponsorship and use that bit extra to push on into the top four.  Everton have been close on far less money then we bring in and Villa haven't been spending anything that would be out of our reach and look at how they've developed with some stability and a professional board room.

I think this is true. I worry that without significant investment the best we can hope to be is a yo-yo club.

I'd feel more comfortable if I knew a few more positive things about Moat and his vision/plan for the club other than that he's had a struggle to get the overdraft guaranteed and will appoint his mate Alan Shearer.

Newcastle bring in far more money then the majority of Premiership clubs, so how can you then come to the conclusion that the best we can hope for is to be a yoyo club without extra cash? ???  Why do you think all those clubs that bring in much less money then us aren't yoyo clubs?

Everton seem to be able to Compete on a tight Budget

in the prem we generate more than most clubs there so why is investment needed from outside to prevent being a yo yo club? Everton aren't exactly the richest club around yet they have been in and around 5th place for a few years, bolton are a poor enough club finance wise yet they survive year after year. As to moats vision for the club, should he be successful then I'm sure he'll outline his intentions for the clubs future once he's in, until then whats the point saying anything

Guest Heneage

There's no reason why we should be on a tight budget.  The club generates enough money to give us a budget as big or bigger than all but 5 other clubs in the country (including the sugar daddy clubs like Man City and Chelsea).  Significantly bigger then the majority of Premiership clubs.  If you want to talk about tight budgets look at the likes of Wigan and Stoke who are getting by on a budget of around half what we were bringing in.

What were our operating profits when we were in the Champions Leauge? It's not a smart alleck response btw I'm more curious, even just our turnover if we assume we won't be hugely overpaying the playing staff.

Newcastle bring in far more money then the majority of Premiership clubs, so how can you then come to the conclusion that the best we can hope for is to be a yoyo club without extra cash? ???  Why do you think all those clubs that bring in much less money then us aren't yoyo clubs?

This is complacency. We got ourselves into a lot of financial trouble in the Premiership under Shepherd and Hall once the flotation money ran out. What's going to be different this time?

I'm not saying it can't be done, but Moat has yet to offer anything to convince me that he's the one who can do it. Right now he's just the non-Ashley, like Ashley was the non-Shepherd. A negative rather than a positive. What's he got that will get us there, apart from Shearer's mobile number?

What were our operating profits when we were in the Champions Leauge? It's not a smart alleck response btw I'm more curious, even just our turnover if we assume we won't be hugely overpaying the playing staff.

When we got into the main competition in the Champions League our revenue rose to £96m (from £70m the previous season).  Obviously now with so much extra TV money and bigger sponsorship deals these days we can pull in £100m just by being in the Premiership (the likes of Everton bring in £70m when finishing 4th/5th).  Who knows what our revenue would be if we ever managed to qualify for the CL again, I'd guess well over £150m.

This is complacency. We got ourselves into a lot of financial trouble in the Premiership under Shepherd and Hall once the flotation money ran out. What's going to be different this time?

I'm not saying it can't be done, but Moat has yet to offer anything to convince me that he's the one who can do it. Right now he's just the non-Ashley, like Ashley was the non-Shepherd. A negative rather than a positive. What's he got that will get us there, apart from Shearer's mobile number?

so the option is stay under ashley? a regime without any credibility whatsoever? even freddie had more credibility at his worst than ashley has now. As it stands its damn difficult for him to be any worse. Whats needed is stability and dignity to bring decency back to all levels of the football club not just with Hughton and the players

Guest VegasToon

Baby steps people.  We don't know what Moat plans on doing, but if he can at least bring some stability I will be fine with that this year and next.  Give him a chance and lets see what he can offer.